Latest post Thu, Mar 4 2021 3:34 PM by danny. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 3 2020 2:39 AM

• jaic1008
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 7 2020
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

Avid Titler+ - Two features that urgently need addressing

The propsed changes for MC 2020.12 that Marianna has outlined sound great, but there are still 2 features that are deal breakers for me that I haven't seen mentioned and they're fairly basic...

1. As far as I could find both in experimentation and searching online, there's no way to easily centre a text layer/box both vertically and horizontally in the screen. This is so standard and should be simple to implement, no? Centre in canvas/screen vertically and horizontally instead of having to eyeball it or use the grid and try and figure it out.

2. Not being able to see all fonts or sub-styles of fonts. This is a massive deal breaker for obviouis reasons. It was never problem in my experience in the past with the Title Tool, so why now? Can this please be fixed also in 2020.12? Or ASAP?

I REALLY hope these things can be implemented/fixed because without them, I'm having to do even super basic title work in After Effects and bring it in. And that's just not ok for an industry leading, profesional NLE. It would make me feel so much better about Avid which has been my exclusive NLE for 13 years.

OS - Catalina (10.15.7) iMac 27" (late 2012) Processor - 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 RAM - 32GB GFX Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 3 2020 11:06 AM In reply to

• mrtymcln
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 91
    • Points 1,025

Re: Avid Titler+ - Two features that urgently need addressing

Second your suggestions! If I could add a third, it would be a template for side-by-side credits like FCP has had for 15 years.

Media Composer 2020.12 | 2015 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.15.7 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Nov 4 2020 1:36 PM In reply to

jaic1008:

The propsed changes for MC 2020.12 that Marianna has outlined sound great, but there are still 2 features that are deal breakers for me that I haven't seen mentioned and they're fairly basic...

1. As far as I could find both in experimentation and searching online, there's no way to easily centre a text layer/box both vertically and horizontally in the screen. This is so standard and should be simple to implement, no? Centre in canvas/screen vertically and horizontally instead of having to eyeball it or use the grid and try and figure it out.

2. Not being able to see all fonts or sub-styles of fonts. This is a massive deal breaker for obviouis reasons. It was never problem in my experience in the past with the Title Tool, so why now? Can this please be fixed also in 2020.12? Or ASAP?

I REALLY hope these things can be implemented/fixed because without them, I'm having to do even super basic title work in After Effects and bring it in. And that's just not ok for an industry leading, profesional NLE. It would make me feel so much better about Avid which has been my exclusive NLE for 13 years.

Couldn't agree more!

Center text should be under "justification" in the effects control window, but it took me about half an hour to find that setting...

Ryzen/GTX H/W (I know) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 5 2020 4:14 AM In reply to

• jaic1008
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 7 2020
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

philip kapadia:

Couldn't agree more!

Center text should be under "justification" in the effects control window, but it took me about half an hour to find that setting...

Oh awesome. I wonder if it was always there and I just missed it, or if it wasn't there in earlier versions? Anyway, thanks for pointing it out Yes

OS - Catalina (10.15.7) iMac 27" (late 2012) Processor - 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 RAM - 32GB GFX Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 5 2020 8:45 AM In reply to

If you do try and do rollers in Titler+ you will soon find another limitation. When you switch the roller effect on you have a parameter slider that goes from -999 to 999 but that only allows a modest set of lines to roll past (about 40 I think)

Then yiu end up with a half completed roller. I had to make to sets of rolling titles that over lapped to produce what I needed but the join wasn't great.

This has been fed back so hopefully will be looked at.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Nov 23 2020 1:57 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

If you do try and do rollers in Titler+ you will soon find another limitation. When you switch the roller effect on you have a parameter slider that goes from -999 to 999 but that only allows a modest set of lines to roll past (about 40 I think)

Then yiu end up with a half completed roller. I had to make to sets of rolling titles that over lapped to produce what I needed but the join wasn't great.

I don't even understand how as a designer you could not realise that this is a problem.  There seems to be something deeply flawed in Avid's internal testing to have allowed so many of these basic things to have slipped through.  I've been putting off upgrading for nearly two years now, I'm so annoyed with Avid. 

I think they should be offering to put support payments on hold for users who have had to stay on older versions so that they can stop paying yearly subs until there is a version with a workable title tool without being penalised in to paying full price for the software when they start up again.  My money has been going down a black hole for two years now and I'm still not comfortable upgrading. My contract runs out in a few days and I'm going to be forced to pay yet again, only to have to maintain 2018.12.8 on old Mac hardware that we want to upgrade.   Angry

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 16 2020 9:46 PM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 24 2010
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,115

My feelings exactly. I'm still stuck on 8.9.1 as I know it's solid. I have the 2020 latest version on another partition, but still can't bring myself to start a new project on it because I fear I won't be able to complete it in time for ever tightening deadlines. Titler+ is the biggest issue, and one day I will have to upgrade my mac and OS and dread not being able to access legacy old title tool titles. But there are so many other UME linking issues that are still not resolved. Meanwhile, I continue to pay my subs - for now...😡

Mac 3Ghz 8-core cylinder Xeon E5. 32GB 1866Mhz DDR3. AMD D700 graphics x2. OS 10.12.6 with MC/Symphony 8.9.1 and 10.14.6 with MC2020 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 10 2021 8:20 PM In reply to

Could not agree more I did the upgrade and I now have an issue every time one of my clients wants me to make a change to any okd project😢😡 I have to ask wich font was used and then I have to spend hours redoing the titles from scratch...but sad to say it comes as no surprise😢 Furthermore i spend a lot of money paying for the titler pro....but TO is not working on mac....it crashes every time I try to use it and it has now been more than six months without a fix...and they just got back to me saying it will be another 2 months😢😢😢

By the way....why is there no line spacing option??

• Wed, Feb 10 2021 9:49 PM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,115

FYI: I've now upgraded to 2020.12 and at last found an improvement in Titler+. And so far not crashing. But it's not backward compatible with the old title tool, so that is a real pain. If you're on Mojave, you can download and install the Legacy Components package, which allows use of the old Title Tool in MC2002.12. I haven't tried importing a legacy project yet to see if it upgrades the project with no problems. Note that after Mojave the Legacy Components won't work on Mac, so I'm sticking with Mojave for now but it will be an issue when I need to upgrade hardware as Apple force you to use the newest OS. Needless to say, there are still plenty of other bugs with the UME regarding linking and importing. Let's not even mention the Avid Link app...

Mac 3Ghz 8-core cylinder Xeon E5. 32GB 1866Mhz DDR3. AMD D700 graphics x2. OS 10.12.6 with MC/Symphony 8.9.1 and 10.14.6 with MC2020 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 23 2021 5:45 PM In reply to

• Wed, Mar 3 2021 4:45 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,549
    • Points 255,060
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

QuitUnexpectedlyLOL:

bump

What are you bumping.... I have all the feedback sent along to the design team.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 4 2021 2:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,549
    • Points 255,060
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jaic1008:

jaic1008.........

This is doable since 2020.12, either using the keyboard shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+C or by using the center horizontal and center vertical justification buttons in the min-toolbar (when the layer is selected in move mode).

The rest of these great feature requests from this thread have been sent along to the design team!!!!!

Thank you all.....

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 4 2021 3:34 PM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,115

Sadly, I can no longer use my Boris FX on the Titler plus - there is no accessible alpha channel, unlike the old title tool. In my book this makes it a Titler minus. Can someone tell us if this is a design feature, or a bug that might be addressed in a futire release?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller