Latest post Thu, Oct 15 2020 4:32 PM by Rory T. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 15 2020 1:51 PM

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2018
    • Posts 62
    • Points 725

Old OMFI MediaFiles and AVR4s

Hello,

A client sent in a folder from a really old project.  The folder contains an "OMFI MediaFiles" folder with a .pmr, .mdb and some .omf files in it. I remember way way back the media was handled files differntly and there was an MXF folder and an OMFI folder.  

I could not get it working through various methods in 2018.11.  It would not import the audio no matter what and when importing the video it would say resolution mismatch from AVR4s to DV 25 411. Import as AVR4s "works" then the clip appears as "media offline" and import as DV25 "works" but then "wrong format" appears on screen in the same style as "Media Offline".

I then installed a really old version of media composer 4.0.5!  When importing as AVR4s it imports as "media offline".  When coverting to DV25 it will convert the video but still error out on the audio "File format not supported".

When I drop the "OMFI MediaFiles" in the route of the C:\ drive and delete/move the .pmr and .mdb the media composer builds new ones but the clips are mute.  

I seem to remember have AVR4s dongles on acient Macintosh 9600's but I can't remember what it was?  "S" was single cam? 

I was just sent a sample of the media for a test but there is a lot more. Is there a way to get these to work in a modern media composer? 

Thank you for any assistance,

Rory

• Thu, Oct 15 2020 2:37 PM In reply to

Re: Old OMFI MediaFiles and AVR4s

As long as the omfi mediFiles folder is at root level it should scanned and accessible by MC.

But it's been some years for sure. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Oct 15 2020 3:11 PM In reply to

Rory T:
    I seem to remember have AVR4s dongles on acient Macintosh 9600's but I can't remember what it was?  "S" was single cam? 

I'm nearly sure the 's' was for single field resolutions.

Rory T:
    When I drop the "OMFI MediaFiles" in the route of the C:\ drive and delete/move the .pmr and .mdb the media composer builds new ones but the clips are mute.  

A thread from a few years ago says:

Jeroen van Eekeres:

The AVR compatibilty was indeed dropped when we went 64 bit... so back to 5.5 to find out that all the audio is offline.

And guess what. All the audio isn't AIFF but SD2... Sound designer was never supported on PC. There are free converters and I have succesfully tried one that converts the OMF's to WAV's but that doesn't fix the way back to restoring the projects.

I'd try opening one of the smaller OMF files in whatever conversion program you have and see if you can get a WAV file out of it. If so, you could marry up the WAV audio with the AVR 4s video.

Media Composer 2021.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Oct 15 2020 4:32 PM In reply to

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2018
    • Posts 62
    • Points 725

Ahhh okay, do you think I may have better hope of importing and converting them if I found a mac with 4.0.5 on it?  It seems to scan them but does not find the coresponding audio,

I was talking to an online guy and he said AVR4s was an offline res (AVR77 being the online) so single field makes sense. 

MediInfo has no information on the audio, when I try the coresponding video .omf it reads it as JPEG. 

I tried to get ProTools to read it and the error becomes something like "OMF version 1.x.  Protools opnly supports OMF version 2 for session import."  Which when looknig to conver version1 to version 2 is a whole other mess involving OS9 and hex files (full disclosure I havn't full looked into this yet. Just had a quick search).

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller