Latest post Sun, Dec 27 2020 8:27 PM by pantau. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 20 2020 5:12 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 31 2005
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,110

Re: OMFI MediaFiles to Davinci Resolve

smrpix:

Just successfully loaded DV clips in Resolve 17 as .mxf, .mov, and .avi.  It took  longer for the video to load than the audio so the clips appeared as audio only for a time.

Would you mind checking if you're able to AAF export a DV timeline from Avid to Resolve?

Win7 SP1 Avid 8.3.1 Quicktime 7.7.9 IBM Carbon X1 5th, 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 21 2020 3:35 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,456
    • Points 18,065

Sorry for the long delay in replying. 

It works more seamlessly than I expected.  Worth noting that I transcoded old .omf files to .mxf a long time ago.

• Sat, Dec 26 2020 4:43 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,110

So all your clips were showing up in Resolve as expected?

Win7 SP1 Avid 8.3.1 Quicktime 7.7.9 IBM Carbon X1 5th, 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 26 2020 8:49 PM In reply to

Coming to this very late and I have not used DV for a long time. 

However FWIW this has worked for me with all media sent AAF to  Resolve since Resolve 9 and whatever the current version of MC was.   Disclaimer I only use audio in Resolve for reference.

I duplicate my timeline twice. In one of these timelines I delete all the audio tracks and in the other delete all of the video tracks, Mark in and out at the beginning and end of each timeline. 

From the audio only timeline export a stereo .wav  file to a new Project named folder where Resolve resides.

Consolidate the video only timeline with handles to a new number only named folder in the Avid MediaFiles\MXF folder.

Let MC index that folder.   Export a video only AAF with the link to media option.

Open a Resolve project and set preferences to match those for the consolidated video.

Import the video only AAF into a new timeline in Resolve.  Add the audio .wav file to Resolves Media pool.

Add a stereo audio track to your Resolve timeline and edit in the stereo track to the timelines first frame.

When finished delete the stereo track and deliver a video only AAF back to a number only folder that will go back into my Avid MediaFiles\MXF folder. I drag the .aaf file from this folder into a new bin in my project.  The bin populates with an AAF and all of the Resolve media.  Open a new timeline with the AAF and mark in at the first frame.   Open this timeline in the Source window and then do a video only edit back to another copy of the timeline I sent to Resolve.  

This gives me my original DV timeline (safety net never yet required) and a timeline with Resolve processed delivery format video clips and DV audio clips.  The DV audio clips in my case have been sent independently to Pro Tools mixed and returned as a stereo or 5.1 file. 

A lot of typing here but for me the process is very fast with the the benefit of working each time

Happy New Year

• Sat, Dec 26 2020 11:28 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,456
    • Points 18,065

pantau:

So all your clips were showing up in Resolve as expected?

Yes.  Better than expected, actually.

As I implied, many, many months ago I transcoded all the material, video and audio from omf to mxf.  It was a simple rewrap.  While considering your question, I cut a short sequence in a 30i NTSC project and exported an AAF with media linked (not embedded.)  Worked like a charm

Also note I am using the latest Resolve 17, free version.  In previous versions I have had problems with DV.

• Sun, Dec 27 2020 4:05 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,110

Thanks to both of you I'm getting closer to it:

- You have to consolidate/transcode audio+video before you AAF export. Doing so during AAF export doesn't work in the same way

- In Resolve, do not import to the current timeline, but to a new timeline selecting "automatically set project settings". Even if the current timeline got the same settings, it won't work.

- You have to trancsode audio as well, otherwise it imports well, but doesn't get linked to the video files by Resolve. Transcoding audio to MXF doesn't work in my case, the clips import correctly into Resolve, but in the timeline the audio is somehow shortened.

• Sun, Dec 27 2020 4:14 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,110

pantau:

- You have to trancsode audio as well, otherwise it imports well, but doesn't get linked to the video files by Resolve. Transcoding audio to MXF doesn't work in my case, the clips import correctly into Resolve, but in the timeline the audio is somehow shortened.

Actually even exporting audio as OMF only links the first clip to the video, not the other ones.

• Sun, Dec 27 2020 7:54 PM In reply to

pantau:
    Transcoding audio to MXF doesn't work in my case, the clips import correctly into Resolve, but in the timeline the audio is somehow shortened.

Is your transcode sample rate different from the Resolve sample rate? For example  MC transcode to sample rate 44 with Resolve timeline sample rate set to 48.

• Sun, Dec 27 2020 8:27 PM In reply to

• pantau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,110

AndrewAction:

Is your transcode sample rate different from the Resolve sample rate?

I didn't change the sample rate, only the audio format, trying out all possibilities (wav, aifc, etc.)

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller