Latest post Thu, Apr 15 2021 7:53 AM by Pulck. 38 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 7 2021 4:22 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,876
    • Points 69,660

Re: Is it possible to offline in Avid MC and conform/online in Premiere Pro?

Walter Johan:

Besides, I don't believe there is a thing like an "Avid editor". There are editors, or rather: people who edit. What software they use is not that relevant (except on an Avid forum I guess ;). It's just a tool. Operating an application is only a minor part of your skillset.

I do agree, still fully knowing Your tool makes You a faster editor than not knowing it. On top of being slower with an unknown software, You have to add the time to learn the basics. All in all, between the time wasted to learn the software, and the time wasted because a "beginner" is less productive, the roundtrip might be a smarter choice, not to mention the quality of the cut: what if I have to concentrate to remember that command or that shortcut instead of thinking of the aesthetics? 

Symphony 21.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Apr 8 2021 5:03 PM In reply to

Walter Johan:

Besides, I don't believe there is a thing like an "Avid editor". There are editors, or rather: people who edit. What software they use is not that relevant (except on an Avid forum I guess ;). It's just a tool. Operating an application is only a minor part of your skillset.

Depends on the gig. In my market for tv series they speificlaly look for Avid editors becuase they need people that jump in on a multi-seat show and know how to work expertly on that platform. 

Media Composer 2021.03 Symphony Phrase Find Script Sync Dell XPS 8940 Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz 10cores 96.0 GB RAM NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Thu, Apr 8 2021 5:19 PM In reply to

Scott Carnegie:
    Depends on the gig. In my market for tv series they speificlaly look for Avid editors becuase they need people that jump in on a multi-seat show and know how to work expertly on that platform. 

Of course. Likewise I get hired quite often specifically to edit on Premiere. But does that make me a Premiere editor?

Anyway, I'm curious which choice the OP will end up making and how it turns out.

MC: 2021.6 with Symphony and Phrasefind CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4/64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 8 2021 5:21 PM In reply to

Yup I work in TV and D there definatly are Avid editors. And they are often sought after.

An Avid workflow is well established and robust.

For projects that need collaborative working, shared storage and an editor who know how to make an Avid fly it's a must for fast turnaround tightly budgeted programmes.

Yes an editor needs editor skills but NLEs are complex beasts and knowing the software intimately gives an editor a real edge.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Apr 8 2021 9:45 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,876
    • Points 69,660

Well a tool is a tool, and my clients hire the editor, not the editing system, but certainly when it's a broadcast gig being an Avid editor is required. Other than that a tool is just a tool, but an NLE is not an ordinary tool like a screwdriver, or a wrench. Talking of wich, not all tools are the same: try to unscrew that very tightened up rusty bolt with a Beta wrench, or with a no brand cheap wrench, and let me know the outcome.

I've cut a feature on Premiere, I took over another editor, and the editing was already started in Premiere, a media offline roulette every morning when starting up the software. I would avoid using Premiere again for anything longer than 90 seconds with more than 20 minutes of footage. The time wasted due to the instability of the software and the media going offline every now and then is certainly more than the time required for the Avid roundtrip.

Symphony 21.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Apr 14 2021 11:54 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 537
    • Points 6,930

I havent read any of the replies but here's what I do.

AAF to resolve.

XML from resolve to premiere.

it works pretty well if you know what youre doing.

that's the best way to go from premiere to avid too.

w10, always the latest version of MC, diy 7940x, gtx 1080 ti. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 14 2021 3:59 PM In reply to

• Pulck
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 26 2006
    • London, UK
    • Posts 152
    • Points 1,955

cls105:

AAF to resolve.

Do you have any tips?

• Thu, Apr 15 2021 3:57 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • los angeles
    • Posts 537
    • Points 6,930

My tips are always:  the more one experiments the more they'll figure things out.  Just try it out, it works.

Pulck:

cls105:

AAF to resolve.

Do you have any tips?

w10, always the latest version of MC, diy 7940x, gtx 1080 ti. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 15 2021 7:53 AM In reply to

• Pulck
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 26 2006
    • London, UK
    • Posts 152
    • Points 1,955

cls105:

My tips are always:  the more one experiments the more they'll figure things out.  Just try it out, it works.

Haha! Thanks, I'll give it a go. 

Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller