Latest post Thu, Apr 15 2021 7:53 AM by Pulck. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 19 2020 3:02 PM

• Pulck
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 26 2006
    • London, UK
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,030

Is it possible to offline in Avid MC and conform/online in Premiere Pro?

I am an offline editor and I'm soon to be working with an online post house which works entirely with Premiere Pro.

I'm not very familiar with the latest version of Premiere, but before I bite the bullet and start learning, I thought it worth asking if anyone here has experience offlining in Avid and then onlining in Premiere.

If the idea alone induces headaches, then I know what I'm upto for the next fortnight....

• Thu, Aug 20 2020 11:08 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 409
    • Points 4,895

Re: Is it possible to offline in Avid MC and conform/online in Premiere Pro?

yes, you can do it. Before media composer supported UHD+ and custom rasters, this was the only workflow to online and export in greater than HD sizes, though resolve was probably more talked about.  

however, as great as AAF can be, it still does not support some effects or effect parameters, and some media that lacks the correct metadata may need to be cut back into the sequence instead of relinked. Your online editor may also have difficulties with avid titles if they have not been mixed down, though my suspision is that anyone doing this kinda of work in creative cloud is likely going to strip out any avid titles and rebuild them in after effects then dynamic link them in a premiere timeline.  

whatever you do, make sure you spit out a reference video export with all layers included prior to sending off the AAF. 

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Fri, Aug 21 2020 7:54 AM In reply to

• Pulck
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,030

Thanks for the reply. This is great news.

It is simple offline work and there should be very few effects or titles, so it sounds like it's doable.

One question, though. Is it going to be possible for me to work with offline-resolution transcoded media in the Avid offline, and then relink back to the full-resolution media in the Premiere online using my AAF? This is crucial, as I am doing the offlines from home, so downloading huge media files is not an option for me.

• Fri, Aug 21 2020 1:36 PM In reply to

In theory yes. But you need to work out the process and then test it.

Where will the high rese source files go and be transcoded to proxy media (is that in Premiere, Avid or Resolve?)

That offline media then need to be dropped into Avid and a test sequence cut.

Then the AAF generated and guide video/audio and the Premiere conform tested to make sure all the metadata has come across as needed.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Aug 21 2020 1:55 PM In reply to

• Pulck
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,030

Oh yes, we plan to test first!

The workflow, I guess, would be as follows:

- transcode the source material to low-res in Premiere (as that's what the post house works on and they will have the source material)

- send transcoded files to me and I ingest into Avid

- I carry out the (very simple) offline cut

- export an AAF from Avid and send to post house

- import into Premiere

- conform and online on Premiere

That't the theory, at least. But as neither I nor the post house has ever attempted this before, the execution is bound to be more complicated.

Any tips would be massively appreciated by those who've done this. For example, what format should we transcode to on Premiere? And also in Premiere is it easy enough to batch relink the transcoded/offline clips from the AAF to the high-res source clips?

• Wed, Mar 31 2021 8:35 PM In reply to

• Pulck
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,030

I'm bumping this thread because I have never managed to work out a 100% successful system for exporting AAFs from Avid into Premiere.

I recently did a test with the post house I'm working with. I sent them an Avid sequence as an audio AAF (embedded audio) and a video AAF (linked to, not exported) and they were unable to import into Premiere. They said the problem was that the audio I'd given them was not MXF format, but I know that the source files on my Avid definitely were MXF.

If anybody has any experience with AAFs going from Avid into Premiere and has a workflow or a bunch of settings that they know will work, I'd be eternally grateful if you could share them with me.

• Wed, Mar 31 2021 9:54 PM In reply to

I've had it work. I have training exercises in Avid I sometimes need to move into Premiere.

But it's never seemless. I always have some issues to unpick.

Avid has its updates as does Premiere. So the goal posts move all the time.

It's why I'd not recommend deciding to work that way. It's only ever if I have to work that way.

But why not test it yourself on your Premier version?

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Wed, Mar 31 2021 10:17 PM In reply to

• Pulck
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,030

Pat Horridge:

I've had it work. I have training exercises in Avid I sometimes need to move into Premiere.

But it's never seemless. I always have some issues to unpick.

Avid has its updates as does Premiere. So the goal posts move all the time.

It's why I'd not recommend deciding to work that way. It's only ever if I have to work that way.

But why not test it yourself on your Premier version?

Thanks, but I haven't used Premiere in many, many years and don't have it installed.

But I may have to bite the bullet and install it for a month just to get to grips with this issue.

• Thu, Apr 1 2021 8:57 AM In reply to

I would have a local copy of premiere so you can test your end first. Then you can sort any issues and know it will work for them. At least initially.

Ideally avid prefers DNx codec files like DNx36 or DNxHR LB but Prores will work.

I'd make sure you add guide audio and picture to any timelines you send across (as a seperate file not part of the AAF)

Yes premiere has the ability to see the clips in the imported AAF and then ask you where the sources live. Which the post house should know if they created the Proxies.

• Thu, Apr 1 2021 9:06 AM In reply to

• Pulck
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,030

Pat Horridge:

I would have a local copy of premiere so you can test your end first. Then you can sort any issues and know it will work for them. At least initially.

Ideally avid prefers DNx codec files like DNx36 or DNxHR LB but Prores will work.

I'd make sure you add guide audio and picture to any timelines you send across (as a seperate file not part of the AAF)

Yes premiere has the ability to see the clips in the imported AAF and then ask you where the sources live. Which the post house should know if they created the Proxies.

Thanks, Pat. I'm sure you're right about having a local copy. Looks like I'm going to have to familiarise myself with Premiere.

• Thu, Apr 1 2021 6:07 PM In reply to

When I've tried to move things from Avid and Premiere and vice versa I always run into issues and headaches. IMO if the online is going to be in Premeire then you should offline in Premiere. 

Media Composer 2021.03 Symphony Phrase Find Script Sync Dell XPS 8940 Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz 10cores 96.0 GB RAM NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Thu, Apr 1 2021 7:34 PM In reply to

• Pulck
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,030

Yes, I'm sure you're right. Another reason to learn Premiere.

• Fri, Apr 2 2021 5:04 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,888
    • Points 69,780

Straight from MC to Premiere does not work that smooth, not to mention going back and forth. Using Resolve as an intermediate works pretty well.

Symphony 21.6, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Apr 4 2021 12:20 PM In reply to

• Pulck
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,030

luca.mg:

Straight from MC to Premiere does not work that smooth, not to mention going back and forth. Using Resolve as an intermediate works pretty well.

Another piece of software to learn!

• Tue, Apr 6 2021 8:56 AM In reply to

I try every 5 years or so and my latest test from a few weeks ago showed that indeed, going straight from Avid to Premiere didn't go well at all. Timing of every single videoclip on the timeline was completely off. Audio seemed okay. Putting Resolve in between them gave better results.

MC: 2021.6 with Symphony and Phrasefind CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4/64... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller