Latest post Mon, Sep 28 2020 7:51 PM by Marianna. 60 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 26 2020 10:10 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,720
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: AVID Titler plus still useless?

i have to agree... it is still very flaky. I've sent it up the pike.

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 26 2020 10:27 PM In reply to

morsey:
    I think it's time to stop posting Catalina

Titler + is just as useless on the PC side.

camoscato:
    The Title Tool is a 32-bit app.

Avid keeps defending the decision not to update the old Title Tool to 4K because it was 32-bit.   Yet somehow they were able to upgrade the entire MC program from 32 to 64 bit when MC 6 was introduced and then upgrade MC to handle 4K.   Yet they can't seem to upgrade the little old Title Tool because it was 32-bit.   This excuse just doesn't seen to hold water.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Wed, Aug 26 2020 11:55 PM In reply to

Terry Snyder:
    Avid keeps defending the decision not to update the old Title Tool to 4K because it was 32-bit.   Yet somehow they were able to upgrade the entire MC program from 32 to 64 bit when MC 6 was introduced and then upgrade MC to handle 4K.   Yet they can't seem to upgrade the little old Title Tool because it was 32-bit.   This excuse just doesn't seen to hold water.

I see where you're coming from, but it only makes sense to make the legacy Title Tool 64-bit if you know in advance that the shiny new Titler+ you're working on is going to be a disaster, and therefore you need the legacy Title Tool as a backup.

My guess is they knew they'd need a 64-bit title solution at some point, so they decided to take the opportunity to make the basic title capability more robust. (People have complained for years that the Title Tool is too basic, which is why we've had Marquee, New Blue FX, and whatever other titling solutions they've shoehorned in over the years that I'm forgetting.) So someone said, 'Instead of just upping the Title Tool to 64-bit, let's make a decent title app and kill off the legacy Title Tool and Marquee and give them a modern title app they'll like.' At that point it wouldn't make any sense to ALSO make the Title Tool 64-bit, so they didn't. 

Assuming that's how it went down, I don't fault the decision-making, I fault the process that ended up concluding with Titler+ being deemed ready for release. They've been beaten to death about it and acknowledged they've got a lot of work to do, so to me there's no point continuing to yammer on and on about it.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Aug 27 2020 1:31 PM In reply to

• Editim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 5 2006
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

"The Title Tool is a 32-bit app. Catalina does not run 32-bit apps. If you want the old title tool you can run Media Composer 2020.x with High Sierra, and download the legacy apps from the Media Composer page in the download center."

What?  I paid for this version.  Two systems.  If you think I should downgrade to get the features that I had before the upgrade, I get that.  Can I bill you for the refund of the 2 systems?  Because to be honest with you, if Avid would have told me that their Titler Plus was useless...........Understand?

"It was broken" (Caps lock/audio scrubbing)

Not in my opinion.  I've had a Media Composer since 1993.  It wasn't broken in 1993.  It is broken in 2020.

So Avid decided to replace Caps Lock with a mappable command key.

That you can't map to Caps Lock.  Good one.

Downgrade?  Really?  I'd fix the *** Title Tool if I were Avid.  Just saying.  Suggesting that I downgrade is somewhat dissmissive if you ask me.

• Thu, Aug 27 2020 2:04 PM In reply to

Editim:
    If you think I should...

It doesn't matter to me what you do. Somebody else on the thread said they wanted the legacy title tool back. I was just telling them how to make that possible.

Editim:
    Can I bill you for...

Do you understand that I don't work for Avid? I'm just an editor who volunteers on here to try and help people solve their problems. If you want to get your money back, you should talk to Avid. Send an email to Marianna Montague (marianna.montague@avid.com) and Raff Condalor (raff.condalor@avid.com).  They are Avid's customer advocates.

Editim:
    Not in my opinion.

Then you should tell Marianna and Raff that you don't think Caps Lock was broken and they should put it back the way it was. They can make sure the right person at Avid gets your feedback.

Editim:
    Suggesting that I downgrade is somewhat dissmissive if you ask me.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm telling you how you can have the old title tool back. If you don't like that answer... [shrugs].

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Thu, Aug 27 2020 2:30 PM In reply to

• Editim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 5 2006
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

I'm sorry I see 4 moderator badges on your profile [shrugs]. 

• Thu, Aug 27 2020 2:43 PM In reply to

https://community.avid.com/forums/moderators.aspx

The community Forums are lead by customer moderators who can willing provide their knowledge and experiences, answer questions, provide advice and share their passion with other Avid professionals from across the world. In the Avid community forums these dedicated moderators volunteer their personal time and share their considerable knowledge and experience with all of you, to let you know that they are offering the best advice and direction possible. While they may not have the answers to all your questions, our moderators are here to help in any way they can and provide access to Avid. 

• Thu, Aug 27 2020 4:07 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,559
    • Points 255,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Folks...

We are WELL aware of the titler + limitations and as such have a " select" group of users, who have been battling the feature over the course of the last year, engaged in a Titler + team effort with Avid developers, designers and Produc Manageent.  

I just got the last minute responses from the large group I reached out too externally and will be sending out a note within the next 24 hours.

please keep the feeadback coming BUT please refrain from the bashing as I WANT the Avid team internally to work with us on this and as "humans" to be constantly griped at and bashed - turns people off from even reading your posts. 

Work with me here......

Contructive comments please on Titler+ and suggested feedback to improve always wanted.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 27 2020 4:10 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,559
    • Points 255,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Terry Snyder:

morsey:
    I think it's time to stop posting Catalina

Titler + is just as useless on the PC side.

camoscato:
    The Title Tool is a 32-bit app.

Terry....

Your use of the word USELESS is getting old.  We know it needs work.... we know we need help to fix it..... we know it is inferior to our other featurws in the MC product.......  

BUT as YOU know, we have many users willing to work with us to make it better.  My cranky pants are firing up and I hardly never get cranky but this relentless bashing is NOT helping here.

Marianna

• Thu, Aug 27 2020 4:35 PM In reply to

camoscato:
    They've been beaten to death about it and acknowledged they've got a lot of work to do, so to me there's no point continuing to yammer on and on about it.

I have to disagree with you on this one.   As a loyal MC user, I've paid Avid lot's of $$$ over the years in exchange for what had always been a functional, efficient and effective tool that I used every day in my business.   Then Avid removed one of the major features of that tool when they did not upgrade the Title Tool to 4K and belatedly put out a replacement that was not fuctional, efficient or effective.   It's only recently that Avid has half heartedly acknowledged that Titler+ doesn't work and it's been going on years now that we don't have a 4K title tool.

Those of us who keep "hammering on" are doing Avid a service.   We're trying to get them to fix a problem that is a major concern to a multitude of users before their customer base begins abandoning MC in frustration.   (You can read the frustration in all the threads about Titler+ and the lack of a workable 4K title tool within MC.)

So I'm going to keep hammering on until either Avid fixes the problem or I reluctantly move to a different editing system.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Aug 27 2020 5:09 PM In reply to

Marianna:

Your use of the word USELESS is getting old. 

My cranky pants are firing up and I hardly never get cranky but this relentless bashing is NOT helping here.

Marianna

Marianna,

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think the term is accurate.   I produce between 80 to 100 broadcast commercials a year and the loss of productivity and extra time it takes try to create a simple 4K title in Titler+ only to end up going outside MC because Titler+ isn't up to the task meets the definition of "useless" in my workflow.

I promise once there's a workable 4K titling solution inside MC, you'll never hear another peep from me.

• Thu, Aug 27 2020 7:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,559
    • Points 255,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Terry

I agree it is not fucntioning but remember that Avid emaployees who are working to fix it read this and get VERY VERY disheartended when they see the same posts but the same peeps over and over. 

Just asking that you keep the comments on feedback and features coming but eliminate the bashing.

Marianna. 

• Thu, Aug 27 2020 7:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,559
    • Points 255,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Editim:

I'm sorry I see 4 moderator badges on your profile [shrugs]. 

Ted.... Moderators help direct posts and answer what they can. The are users who donate thier time and knowledge - nothing more ...

I did email you and asked you to participate in our Titler+ group.... I dont beliece you responded. Please email me direct ( my email is below ) if interested in making it better.

Marianna

• Fri, Aug 28 2020 6:04 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,720
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Just a suggestion... instead of continuing to "hammer on" and running the risk of Marianna's cranky pants firing up (she definitely has a way with words), how about using this thread to post SPECIFIC ISSUES that the Titler+ group can work on via the "divide and conquer" methodology. ;) Hopefully resulting in a "short list" of the most pressing (seven or eight?) issues and bugs with the tool, based on your system specifications... In the process the users here will be actually helping to get the issues resolved instead of continuing hammering or harping on.

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 28 2020 9:08 PM In reply to

Adman:
    how about using this thread to post SPECIFIC ISSUES that the Titler+ group can work on via the "divide and conquer" methodology. ;) Hopefully resulting in a "short list" of the most pressing (seven or eight?) issues...

I'd be happy with just 3...

QUICK

EASY

RELIABLE

That's what made the old Title Tool so useful for down 'n dirty titles.   Just create same thing in 4K.   Hopefully, that's not too much to ask.

Page 2 of 5 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller