Latest post Fri, Aug 21 2020 5:24 PM by Rory T. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 12 2020 1:21 PM

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2018
    • Posts 62
    • Points 725

Have Media Composer licensed the ProRes encoder from Apple?

How official is the ProRes export on a windows PC?  I remember reading a long time ago that a lot of softwares reverese  engineer the ProRes codec to mimic Apples code.  

In the past content being delivered has failed using these reverse-engineered codecs so exporting on OSX was the option used for an Apple ProRes delivery. 

I noticed MediaInfo on the file exported from a PC using the ProRes codec will not say "Writing Library: Apple QuickTime" in the way it will after being exported on OSX but that may be not related to this topic. 

• Fri, Aug 14 2020 1:08 PM In reply to

Re: Have Media Composer licensed the ProRes encoder from Apple?

I don't know ther details but I do know my ProRes PC exports behave just like Apple created ones so far.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Aug 14 2020 1:38 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,849
    • Points 46,470

As well, I do not know the details.  But I think the chances that Avid would risk a lawsuit by Apple is virtually zero.

Plus, Avid leans heavily on it's reputation with the professional media world.  To damage that would be very bad for business.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Aug 14 2020 11:23 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,427
    • Points 98,115

You guys obviously didn't see the press release.  From that, it seemed pretty clear to me that there was a technology interchange, DNxHR in exchange for ProRes.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 15 2020 12:43 PM In reply to

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 62
    • Points 725

No I didn't see that press release, do you have a link?

As far as I am awear it is not illegal to reverse engineer a codec.  This is the article that talks about the issues https://blog.frame.io/2017/08/07/prores-on-windows/

• Sat, Aug 15 2020 8:35 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,457
    • Points 18,095

That article was last updated two years ago.

You can google avid prores to find the press release.

As Pat and Jef have pointed out, Avid would be foolish financially and reputationally to reverse engineer prores.

• Sun, Aug 16 2020 1:08 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,427
    • Points 98,115

Rory T:
    No I didn't see that press release, do you have a link?
    Yes I do, and it's not a two year old link.  It's from September last year.  The first para reads:

Avid® (Nasdaq: AVID) today announced that Media Composer® will deliver native support for Apple’s ProRes RAW camera codec and support for ProRes playback and encoding on Windows. In addition, Apple will provide 64-bit decoders for DNxHR and DNxHD codecs within the Pro Video Formats package that is available from Apple as a free download for all users. These integrations will allow content creators and post-production companies to natively create high-quality ProRes content regardless of their OS and save time during the creative storytelling process.
    That certainly reads like a technology interchange to me.  You can read the whole thing by clicking https://www.avid.com/press-room/2019/09/avid-delivers-video-editing-workflows.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 21 2020 5:24 PM In reply to

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 62
    • Points 725

It definitely reads like that. thank you for the link.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller