Latest post Sat, Feb 22 2020 9:09 PM by AndrewAction. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 22 2020 2:34 PM

• buf1986
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 9 2012
    • Posts 64
    • Points 935

Omfi folder corrupted

Hello,

Yesterday I was working on my sequence, I rendered an audio effect and some kind of Omfi database error popped out.

Than I deleted the database .pmr and .mdb but when I tried to relauch media composer (8.6) something weird happened, I got the normal Omfi Media files scanning, once finished a new scan started and it took twice the time. At the end of this second scan avid would always crash. I tried to delete the last rendered files and the new databases several times but the problem was always there.

The only thing that helped me was replace the entire omfi folder with a backup I had on the second edit bay.

It is possible that the entire folder was corrupted?

In the folder I had 25000 files, I remember that the limit is 10000 but on the other two workstations I didn't have any issues (avid 2018.9). Do you suggest to make partitions on my drives? Don't know if the limit can cause this kind of issues.

Just to let you know, all the workstations are trash can mac pro's.

Thank you guys.

MacBook Pro 16 i9 32 gb ram, 5500m 8gb [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 22 2020 5:17 PM In reply to

Re: Omfi folder corrupted

Yes I'd guess troo many files is the issue. We used to mhave to divide and re test to resolve.

But why are you working with omfi media and not MXF?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, Feb 22 2020 5:22 PM In reply to

• buf1986
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 9 2012
    • Posts 64
    • Points 935

Good question, here where I live unfortunately the majority of the workflows are still omfi based. I tried to use mxf but a lot of other people were not comfortable with it. Don't ask me why. So your advice would be to divide the omfi right? Maybe I can make a partition on the hard drive and move half of the files.

MacBook Pro 16 i9 32 gb ram, 5500m 8gb [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 22 2020 5:36 PM In reply to

Yes thats what I would do, Create a new partion and split the omfis in half then let each rebuild its databases.

But I consider omfi to be legacy now. MXF is the way forward and has been for very many years.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, Feb 22 2020 9:09 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    Create a new partition
    Or you can create a new folder and name it. Then make this new folder into a virtual network drive.   see here     

Inside this new virtual drive folder create an OMFI MediaFiles folder. Move half of your OMF  media into this folder. 

You will probable need to open the console in MC and type in "alldrives" (w/out quotations) to be certain that MC will read the "virtual drive folder".  Because the virtual drive has your new OMFI MediaFiles folder at it's root level MC reads it as if it is on a standard partition.

Before opening MC I would delete the msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb files from the original OMFI MediaFiles folder to allow MC to create new database files in both of your OMFI MediaFiles folders.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller