Latest post Sat, Mar 27 2021 5:42 PM by Telegram!. 54 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 2 2019 5:01 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 467
    • Points 6,405

Re: MC 2019.6 New Interface Design - please roll back!

How do I get 2018.12.6? 2018.12.3 is in my Application Manager which I'm going to install. I understand its buggy and I need to go to 2018.12.6. I'm going to stay put for a while until the dust settles. I do so little work I'm afraid my muscle memory will have a hard time transitioning. (I'm on perpetual licence wich espires 9-2020)  DISREGARD: I found it in download center.

MC 2020.06 w/Symphony option. BlackMagic DeckLink 12G, HP Z840 Dual 3.2Ghz/8 Core, 1TB SSD, 1TB Cache drive, 128GB Ram, Nvidia RTX2060 Super, BCC2020,... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Wed, Jul 3 2019 8:25 AM In reply to

For the single user, I understand it makes sense to run a long term maintenance stream for a relatively unchanged version of Media Composer to run in parrellel with a version which holds all the new features. In my mind, this works against a business who's strategy is to keep it's freelancers happy with an old comfortable UI which also affords the business the ability to access the latest feature set. You can't have both? This is a real shame. 

Business Q&A. Do we jump in and adopt the latest version with pioneering HDR workflows, more efficient transcode processes on Nexis storage systems, gain the ability to master IMF but at the cost of alienating the freelance editors? Media Composer software isn't just an edit NLE - it's used for much more than pressing JKL for ten hours a day.

It would have been a killer move for Avid to integrate an old UI with all the bells and whistles of the latest version - which was mentioned at NAB. Now it seems Avid meant they'll simply continue to support a 2018 version.

• Wed, Jul 3 2019 1:47 PM In reply to

Craigo5000:
    You can't have both? This is a real shame. 

Sure you can.   I have had two different releases of other software on my system, letting me stay productive on the old one while learning the new one.  Eventually, when I'm up to speed, I deleted the old one.   In another post, I suggested Avid allow users a cross-over period where they can test drive the new version without erasing their current version--which they rely on to get the work out.   This fell on deaf ears...

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Wed, Jul 3 2019 1:56 PM In reply to

You can't have two different versions of MC installed simultaneously. Or  if you do, know it is unsupported. Unless you have two boot partitions, of course.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 3 2019 2:03 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

You can't have two different versions of MC installed simultaneously. Or  if you do, know it is unsupported. Unless you have two boot partitions, of course.

You can't because Avid set it up that way.   Not because it isn't technically feasible.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Aug 13 2020 12:28 PM In reply to

• tom0341
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 10 2013
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

This is the pinnacle of atrocity Avid has ever done to users. Why easy when it can be cumbersome? Unfortunately we are forced to deal with it.

• Thu, Aug 13 2020 12:52 PM In reply to

Well 2019 is now behind us and we march into 2020.

I resisted the changes to the UI in 2019 prefering to stick with the older UI. But then I was required to do some teacjing with it and I'm now converted going back I find the old UI limited.

The new UI isn't perfect but software has t evolve and move on.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Aug 13 2020 2:04 PM In reply to

• tom0341
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

Change something to change something.
    You want to be very modern. You don't have to go along with every ***. At Avid, I trust completely different values.
    Stability, reliability, long-term compatibility, managing huge projects. Instead of playing around with the interface all the time, you should make sure that the important features work reliably. For example Sync Lock and Trim.
    Sorry, I've been working with Media Composer for 23 years, I might cry.

• Thu, Aug 13 2020 7:11 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,720
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

I tend to see mentions of Premiere and Final Cut in various articles without mention of MC... as if MC doesn't even exist. I believe there is (or was) a perception of the MC interface being outdated... in spite of the fact that the time proven interface is preferred by pros and it is definitively faster for those who use it professionals (via keyboard commands). Nevertheless, perception is reality. Perhaps the new interface competes better with the new interface, breaking through the clutter?

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 13 2020 7:16 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,720
    • BlogAuthor

In fact, to test my contention, I just did a cursory google search for video editing software and didn't even see MC in the first page of links...

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 13 2020 7:52 PM In reply to

• tom0341
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

The Avid is a tool. Who needs a hammer with a perm? I have to work with it.
    I have to be quick and concentrate on the content.
    Are the developers young nerds who have to prove themselves?
    Let them develop video games. You can make everything chic there. I need a tool for  storytellers !!!

• Thu, Aug 13 2020 8:40 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,720
    • BlogAuthor

I couldn't agree more.

• Thu, Aug 13 2020 10:37 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,427
    • Points 98,115

I agree too, but there is one thing to be aware of: the tool that you start with tends to be the tool that you stick with.  At the moment that tool tends to be Premiere with Resolve coming along fast behind.  The flow on effect is significant: two years back a local network here in Australia were facing a major upgrade to their edit systems.  They had been exclusively Avid for twenty five years.  They are now exclusively Adobe, in part because that's what their younger editors expected.

Perceptions are important.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 14 2020 7:16 AM In reply to

• tom0341
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

That is shocking. But you can't solve that by making an already complex system even more complicated. Then you also lose your regular customers. Because it takes a lot of effort for the cutter to adjust to the changes. Since Avid has been messing around with the interface in the last few years, a smooth workflow is no longer guaranteed. Customers can also switch to another system right away.

• Fri, Aug 14 2020 7:52 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 608
    • Points 7,760

jwrl:

I agree too, but there is one thing to be aware of: the tool that you start with tends to be the tool that you stick with.  At the moment that tool tends to be Premiere with Resolve coming along fast behind.  The flow on effect is significant: two years back a local network here in Australia were facing a major upgrade to their edit systems.  They had been exclusively Avid for twenty five years.  They are now exclusively Adobe, in part because that's what their younger editors expected.

Perceptions are important.

Ive seen this conversation go on for a while with seasoned Avid users. They do not like change. the smart tool was a hot topic when it came out lol.  I don't think Avid can thrive with just the older editors and no new editors coming on board to learn the software. When I see post of a movie timeline from MC, the new generation is always asking what software is it? They know about premiere and they are getting hip to resolve. Every area of the industry is changing. adobe has provided a well intergrated system with AE, PPro etc. Many of you use their products to do what media composer can't like making titles in photoshop. Avid has to change with the times. Thats just facts. To be honest Im looking at resolve myself. Why edit in avid, kick it out to resolve just to bring in back into avid when I can just stay in one software? And Im kicking a OP1a file out to resolve to use it to export for online video. Times have changed.

Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller