Latest post Sun, May 9 2021 8:28 AM by Avid-Freund. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 24 2019 1:08 PM

BUG - All AVCHD background transcodes fail every time

Got a bug that's persisted for a few versions.  Every time i try to background-transcode AVCHD media from a Canon XA25, all clips fail with the error "Exception: Failed to build pipes for play operation - see console for details."  And nothing appears in the Console, as far as I can tell.

This persists in MC 2019.6, and has been present for at least a few iterations of v2018.

This has been the case on a few different systems, not necessarily ones in my profile.  But the one I've tried most recently is iMac Pro 2017, macOS 10.13.6, 3GHz Xeon W, 64 GB RAM. Raw media stored on Facilis Terrablock.

Foreground transcode works great, but obviously is far from ideal when the media is for multi-hour conferences.

Background porcesses work OK for other formats; consolidate is good, and transcode is good for things like XDCamEX, MOV-wrapped H.264 media, and others.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.6, Avid Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 24 2019 5:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,559
    • Points 255,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: BUG - All AVCHD background transcodes fail every time

usatraveler:

Got a bug that's persisted for a few versions.  Every time i try to background-transcode AVCHD media from a Canon XA25, all clips fail with the error "Exception: Failed to build pipes for play operation - see console for details."  And nothing appears in the Console, as far as I can tell.

This persists in MC 2019.6, and has been present for at least a few iterations of v2018.

This has been the case on a few different systems, not necessarily ones in my profile.  But the one I've tried most recently is iMac Pro 2017, macOS 10.13.6, 3GHz Xeon W, 64 GB RAM. Raw media stored on Facilis Terrablock.

Foreground transcode works great, but obviously is far from ideal when the media is for multi-hour conferences.

Background porcesses work OK for other formats; consolidate is good, and transcode is good for things like XDCamEX, MOV-wrapped H.264 media, and others.

USA....   I cant try it so I created a case ( 03732388) and asked support to check this.  Seems pretty start forward.  Do you ever get a crash log of ANY kind?

You might need to send some media or your timeline so they can check it out as I am not sure they have a CanonXA25 in house.... 

If anyone else can try this - much appreciated.    Support will be chekcing it as well....  I added myself to the case so I can follow along USA and make sure they do everythg they can to repo it.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 9 2021 8:28 AM In reply to

Re: BUG - All AVCHD background transcodes fail every time

I have the exact same problem with my sony a7 iii.

I can background transcode all XAVC-S UHD and HD formats but not AVCHD.

I can transcode AVCHD in the app but not in the background, getting the same error message.

Any updates?

I am editing on a very old macbook pro / mid 2012 with 16 GB ram Using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 And usually the newest AVID Version / right now its 2020... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller