Latest post Tue, Nov 20 2018 8:42 PM by Andrew. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 15 2018 6:41 AM

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,680

I use a dongle/dongle updater file.

Since I use a dongle, do I always have to download and install the dongle updater file everytime I update MC? 

I ask because everytime I do this, I can never open the dongle updater file.  I always get an error message saying I don't have an application that can open it.  I have an iMac and I noticed that when I check the file, the opener default is always on Text Edit.  It looks like it is prompting me to find an application to open it except it doesn't tell me which application. 

I always have to call tech support to go into my computer to fix this.  However, I noticed that the tech support person updated my licensing settings in my application manager.  I'm hoping that will settle my issues with opening the file, but I am not sure.

Avid MC v2021.12, macOS Monterey 12.1 (w/out dongle), iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 15 2018 9:02 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 920
    • Points 11,770

Re: I use a dongle/dongle updater file.

I'm sure someone at Avid will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as my experiences of using dongles is concerned, you only have to use the updater file once in each year to blast your dongle with the necessary information. Once that is done, you can download and run any version of MC that is issued during that year.

By 'once a year' I mean a year of support - which of course may not run from Jan to Dec.

To update your dongle, you need to plug it into a USB port on your computer and then run the Avid Application Manager. It should detect your dongle and tell you of your current support and when it expires. It should also give you the option of updating your dongle via an updater file. Once you've been to the Avid store and purchased your year of support, you should see the new updater file appear in 'My Products'. Download this file (it's very small) and point to this file when Application Manager asks you for an updater file.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 15 2018 5:50 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 255,985
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Spot on Bruno.

The MyAvid, Appman which is used for both dongle and activation, and the license itself need to be updated once during the 365 plan year.  I like to say " you need to phone home " and update.  

Deactivate then Activate an/or update your dongle.

Marianna 

Sr. Director | Customer Experience [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 20 2018 8:42 PM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,680

OK, thanks Marianna and Bruno.  I was able to download and install v2018.11 without having to update my dongle file with no problem.

Avid MC v2021.12, macOS Monterey 12.1 (w/out dongle), iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller