Latest post Tue, Feb 20 2024 2:00 PM by Marianna. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 11 2018 10:26 AM

• Sebidou
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Open Media composer first bin in Avid media composer

Hello,

How Open Media composer first bin in Avid media composer ?

Thanks

• Tue, Sep 11 2018 2:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,850
    • Points 259,260
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Open Media composer first bin in Avid media composer

They are not shared.

You cannot import or export a Media Composer project or bin with Media Composer | First. You can import or export video and audio files, and you can open a bin from Media Composer | First in another Media Composer | First.  

You also cannot open bins from Media Composer | First in Media Composer; this functionality will be added at a later date.

You could however sign up for a 30-day trial of Media Composer that would allow you to open your project.

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2018 10:00 AM In reply to

• Sebidou
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

I just buy the license of Media Composer and I can't open my project and my bins anymore. So I get back to First. That's absurd !

I undestand that you need to protect your product but please don't punished the people who are ready to pay. I pay to have more possiblities not less.

You write that "this functionality will be added at a later date", I think it's urgent to do it.

I use Avid since 2003, I really like this soft and I won't change but I don't understand your politics and I will be annoyed if I have to give advice to someone who is looking for a soft to edit.

Thank you for you answering,

Best regards,

Sebastien

• Fri, Oct 16 2020 7:02 PM In reply to

• csalka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 2 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

TWO YEARS LATER and I'm having the same problem.

This is absolutely nuts... you go from a free product to paid one, and as a result you lose all of your work.  Insane.

-C

• Tue, Dec 8 2020 2:18 PM In reply to

• Ian Differ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 21 2010
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Got to agree with you C,

this is totaly unacceptable. That what is basically the same software, with added or limited functionality is not upward compatibale is ridiculous. I was hoping to help my daughters school out that used MC first for something but I can't because I can't read the bin! Sort it out Avid, I've been using  your software for 26 years and this is simply pathectic. This cannot be a hard fix.

• Sat, Mar 6 2021 11:31 PM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 24 2010
    • Posts 103
    • Points 1,225

+100 percent

Same issue still not sorted in 2021. MC First is so restrictive, it's enough to put any newcomer off choosing Avid. Which is a shame, as it has so many solid, reliable features. I have always been loyal to Avid (since forever), but recent developments, or lack of, make each release seem like one step forward, two steps back. So I stick with an earlier version, whilst continuing so far to pay my subscriptions every year. DaVinci, on the other hand, is becoming more and more an attractive and viable option. Simpler, easier titles, much cheaper Boris plugins. Plus, you can run two copies - one on your main machine and another on a laptop - which are compatible in either direction.

Mac 3Ghz 8-core cylinder Xeon E5. 32GB 1866Mhz DDR3. AMD D700 graphics x2. OS 10.12.6 with MC/Symphony 8.9.1 and 10.14.6 with MC2020 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 7 2021 10:26 AM In reply to

I remember when first was announced and I'm sure there was mention of a process to be introduced where users upgrading could have their projects upgraded.

But that's never happened. 

First is a dead end and I now have to advice students not to go the first route. It risks locking away their early creative work. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

• Mon, Sep 19 2022 10:22 AM In reply to

This situation is still going in 2022. Does anyone use media composer trial to open First proyect? Can confirm it works? Thanks

• Mon, Sep 19 2022 11:56 AM In reply to

It doesn't work. MC trial is the same as the regular MC. 

Avid designed MC First to have no route to regular MC.

You can get Avid support to help change MC First license to MC trail but this is just a licensing change it won't alter access between the Bins.

This isn't still going on its behaving as designed and intended.

Imagine all the broadcasters and Post houses letting regular MC licenses lapse if they coukd run First for free and then just open those bins for finishing in regular MC. Avid would lose a fortune. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

• Mon, Feb 19 2024 4:13 PM In reply to

• Jimmy Mort
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 29 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

People are not asking for backwards compatibility from MC to MC First, people are asking to be able to migrate their projects from MC First to regular MC, when they start to pay for regular MC.

This is not losing Avid any money, this is encouraging people to start paying for the software for increased functionality. 

In your example above, you still need the MC license to finish in regular MC - how is Avid losing money?

Telling people they can't access any of their work, previous to their upgrade, is a good way to lose customers!

• Tue, Feb 20 2024 1:21 AM In reply to

perhaps the point pat was making is many people could simply do all their pre production work in MC 1st and NOT pay for it and then go to a single MC install and finish up.....it would be an invitation for the post production world to basically dump MC for MC 1st, stop paying avid for the MC licenses and only pay for the single license to finish.

1st is a training tool...not a production tool....if that is understood, then it makes sense....

I9-NVidia3060-160ram-WIN11PRO-MC23.12-NewBlueFX-Photoshop-Shutter Encoder-Boris Continuum 12.5-VLC Player [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 20 2024 2:00 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,850
    • Points 259,260
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Jimmy Mort:

People are not asking for backwards compatibility from MC to MC First, people are asking to be able to migrate their projects from MC First to regular MC, when they start to pay for regular MC.

This is not losing Avid any money, this is encouraging people to start paying for the software for increased functionality. 

In your example above, you still need the MC license to finish in regular MC - how is Avid losing money?

Telling people they can't access any of their work, previous to their upgrade, is a good way to lose customers!

Hi Jimmy.....

The fact that MC First work doesnt transfer to MC is an upfront, known limitation.  The file structure is slightly different which it needs to be in order for it to be used FREE.   Robert states the obvious reasons and that is the way it has been sicne First was introduced.  

MC is so inexpensive these days that buying a license is the best way to go if you have jobs that are so important that you need to access the timelines and media.   First really is a try it and see if you like it application.

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller