Latest post Wed, May 23 2018 10:01 AM by Pat Horridge. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 21 2018 2:05 AM

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,680

Slight difference between hard copy and 1st gen. export, is that normal?

Hi,

This is something that I tried out when I still had v2018.2 before I upgraded to v2018.5.  I noticed the color is slightly weaker in the 1st generation QuickTime export than in the hard copy.

This was taken from a video that was uploaded by someone on YouTube.

Hard copy.

First generation QuickTime export.

Is this normal or is there a way to remedy this?  I remember back in the day of VHS tape and linear editing, the first generation VHS copies used to be worse.

I should add the export copy is the same exact ratio as the original hard copy and that the export copy is at 29.97 fps.  Before anyone suggests I do color correction, keep in mind the color qualities of both my input and output monitors look exactly alike colorwise.

Avid MC v2021.12, macOS Monterey 12.1 (w/out dongle), iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 21 2018 6:56 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,590
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Slight difference between hard copy and 1st gen. export, is that normal?

Your 'Hard Copy' looks like it's been done at full-range RGB. Opening your screengrab in Photoshop shows blacks at RGB 0 and whites at RGB 240+.  The one you label 'First generation QT Export looks like it's Rec 709? If you like the look of the 'Hard Copy', check your export settings.

2021 MacBook Pro 16" (M1 Max 32GB), 2019 iMac 27" (8-core i9, 40GB) [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 21 2018 10:00 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,020
    • Points 48,520

Basically what MikeyB said.  Some backroud info.

You are NOT seeing a generation loss / change as you migth with tape.  You are seeing the difference of the two main color worlds we are forced to deal with RGB (what you see on computer monitors) and Rec 709 (or what you see on real broadcast TVs).  They are different.  Avid has to know what you want to make when you do an export as it can create either of them.

A gross simplification.  Google for more info.  It is important knowledged.

Good luck.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, May 22 2018 11:49 PM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,680

Thanks for the feedback.

I do have one question.  If I start a new project and I change the Color Space to RGB, would that solve the problem?

Avid MC v2021.12, macOS Monterey 12.1 (w/out dongle), iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 23 2018 8:35 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,590
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

No. What that'll do is allow you to use Codecs that compress the media as RGB 444 data instead of YCbCr 422. It won't change the useable colour range itself.

The colour space of the Project remains as Rec709 which specifies black level at 16 and white at 235, which is the normal range for most content creation. Avid won't prevent you from editing with media that exceeds this range, or exporting it, if you choose to, but most video, whether it's for broadcast or web use, conforms to this standard. I'm not clear why this isn't working for you, as it does for most folks !

2021 MacBook Pro 16" (M1 Max 32GB), 2019 iMac 27" (8-core i9, 40GB) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 23 2018 10:01 AM In reply to

As already mentioned. Avid assumes its working on "TV" content as such it assumes you need black at digital value 16 and peak white at digital value 235. (for 8 bit content) This is often refered to as Studio levels.

When you ingest content it will laready be at those levels if it was shot with a "TV" camera or came from a TV NLE

Other content like AE or photoshop or the web will likley be at full range levels (also refered to as RGB levels but thats confussing so I tend to not use it) full rangle levels go from digital 0 to digital 255 (for 8 bit)

When you import you specifiy if the levels are already at TV levels or to scale from full range to TV levels (avid calls TV levels legal levels)

If you AMA link then you can scale via the source settings (the histogram display has a white marker at 16 and one at 235 as a guide.

When you export from AVid in the export options you have color levels and you can choose to keep as legal (ie stay at TV levels for sending to another NLE or a TV workflow) or sclae to full range levels for web uploads or viewing files.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller