Latest post Fri, Apr 28 2017 9:17 AM by mjolnarn. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 28 2017 3:19 AM

will avid dnxiq make file-based workflow faster?

my current workflow is like this: i link to original footages, then i transcode them which takes a long time; after edit, i roudtrip to davinci resolve for color and back to avid for export. in general my current workflow takes me 2-3 days just to ingest footages. i'm wondering if dnxiq will my this process much faster since it has onboard hardware acceleration. 

• Fri, Apr 28 2017 8:29 AM In reply to

Re: will avid dnxiq make file-based workflow faster?

Pretty sure the hardware accelleration only applies to capture.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 28 2017 8:55 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

so basically it is useless for filebased workflow? transcoding and such. 

• Fri, Apr 28 2017 8:59 AM In reply to

kingpeng0318:

Job ter Burg:

so basically it is useless for filebased workflow? transcoding and such. 

Yup seems so. With the world moving away from tape based ingest it was something of a shock to see file based hardware accelleration ignored.

I'd look at resolve 14 for the ingest transcode. They have re-written the backend software for a 10 fold speed improvement.

And of course they now have sample based audio editing.

If BM keep up this development it looks like you won't be round tripping in the future...

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Fri, Apr 28 2017 9:17 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Doing a digital cut to local / SDI and a Matrox Monarch , as an example , seems to make it possible to work directly with media still linked, so no transcode, and the Monarch unit will create the files for you , you can also send live of course.

And this also to other framerates, and downscaling without using FrameFlex, and also with unrendered realtime effects.

So, if you think outside the box, I can see some new possibilities here

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller