Latest post Wed, Feb 10 2016 10:27 AM by iedjie. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 7 2016 7:56 PM

• iedjie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 236
    • Points 2,840

Best way to keep ama linked when switching between pc's?

Every time that a colleague comes over to work on a project on my pc we get media ofline. He has both the project and the media on the same external disk that he uses with his own pc as well. In my pc the drive letter changes, would that be the cause?

Is there a proper workflow to switch between pc's with an external disk?

mobo MSI P55-GD65, CPU Intel i5-750 @ 3.2 Ghz, memory G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D 2x4GB, Videocard Nvidia Quadro FX 3700, PSU OCZ 500MXSP, Harddisks; Crucial... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 7 2016 8:57 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,904
    • Points 47,115

Re: Best way to keep ama linked when switching between pc's?

iedjie:

Every time that a colleague comes over to work on a project on my pc we get media ofline. He has both the project and the media on the same external disk that he uses with his own pc as well. In my pc the drive letter changes, would that be the cause?

Is there a proper workflow to switch between pc's with an external disk?

Yes.  Keep the drive letters the same as Avid uses that as part of the unique address.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sun, Feb 7 2016 9:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,405
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

• Mon, Feb 8 2016 7:48 AM In reply to

• dor
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Israel
    • Posts 596
    • Points 7,670

You can use this free tool to map a folder to a virtual drive.

So you can map DRIVE X or DRIVE Z to your AMA files at work and at home, so AVID will see the files in both places.

Works perfectly with avid media files too. A great way to sperate your project's media

http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/visual-subst.html

MC 2018.4 + MXO2 mini. CPU I7 2600K + 32GB RAM. Nvidia GTX970 driver 388.71. QT.7.7.9 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 8 2016 11:23 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,814
    • Points 63,125

Just be careful with any solution that maps drives exclusively for the logged-in user (i.e., the desktop user). Those mappings won't be available to the background services. 

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Feb 9 2016 8:27 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,640

*sigh* Windoze still using drive letters. Wish they'd switch everything to volume mapping - makes so much more sense.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Feb 9 2016 11:46 PM In reply to

• iedjie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 236
    • Points 2,840

thanks for your comments!

I think I start to understand. Next time he comes over, I make a new folder in the root of his external disk. I move his whole folder stucture with the different episode-folders with media to this new folder. With the subst command, (or the tool), I change the new folder into a virtual drive with the same drive letter that is used at his own computer. (I suppose the correct drive letter can be found in the bin where his media resides by checking the column Drive, we will check that first)

So far so good. But what if I allready have a drive with the same letter? A big chance as I have 7 drives hooked up and he only three...

mobo MSI P55-GD65, CPU Intel i5-750 @ 3.2 Ghz, memory G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D 2x4GB, Videocard Nvidia Quadro FX 3700, PSU OCZ 500MXSP, Harddisks; Crucial... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 10 2016 12:24 AM In reply to

iedjie:
    But what if I already have a drive with the same letter?
    In the future the simplest way is to get in the habit of manually giving your drives that may go to other locations drive letters like T:\ U:\ V:\ etc (A range that neither of you have as permanent media RAIDS or storage.   I use sticky labels on all my transfer drives with the Drive letter I used with Avid and then disk name I will use for my drive index. (If enthusiastic enough at the time I will add Mac or PC to the name to indicate disk formatting)

To Assign a specific Drive letter to a drive (on your system)
    With the drive connected and powered up,
    Right click on Computer,
    Click on Manage,
    Click on Disk Management,
    Select your Drive and Choose Change Drive Letter and Paths.

Assign the drive letter the same drive letter your supplier used.  If this is the same as one of your existing drives you can temporarily give your drive a different letter and then Assign his drive the same drive letter he used.

After the first time trying this IMO it is quicker than using Subst (another favorite of mine)

• Wed, Feb 10 2016 10:27 AM In reply to

• iedjie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 236
    • Points 2,840

AndrewAction:
    Assign the drive letter the same drive letter your supplier used.  If this is the same as one of your existing drives you can temporarily give your drive a different letter and then Assign his drive the same drive letter he used.

Thanks a lot Andrew! We will try this next time. I suppose that temporarily changing the drive letter of one of my own disks will not affect the ama media on it! Off course we will only work on my colleague's project and immediately after I will change it back.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller