Latest post Thu, Mar 17 2016 10:12 AM by Susi. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 23 2016 2:10 PM

edit a video for 2 or more screens

Hello people,

I'm editig a video which has to be screened on 2 or more screens but on the screens are not always the same images, so the story is being told on more as 1 screen. How they do it in the room(it's in a museum) is not my problem, my problem is how to get on my monitor say 4 ereas with each a different image.

the rough edit is maybe 2 hour so add a picture in picture effect on every clip I add is time consuming is there a other way to do this?

And there is differend audio for every screen I like to mute the audio of 3 video tracks and hear only the one I'm working on, 1 stereo track is easier instead of 2 mono tracks I think is there a simple way to make 2 mono tracks 1 stereo track? 

I hope someone can help me with this I'm a story teller and not technical 

Core

mac pro 3.5 GHz 6 - Core intel xeon E5, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD FirePro D500 32GB ram 2x addonics eSATA raid tower 3 thunderbold-LaCie eSATA Hub ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 23 2016 4:56 PM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 604
    • Points 7,040

Re: edit a video for 2 or more screens

Such in interesting problem.
    Can I ask some simple questions -
    What is the content? 
    Is it a single linear narrative for the 2 or more screens, and is it definitely the same narrative and pacing and timings for each screen? Is it for you to decide how many different screens, and will this change during the show?
    Plus, is the audience going to be allowed or even invited to jump between different screens and their soundtracks, during the story? (It's not obvious whether they'll be all side-by-side, or in different parts of the museum.)

A single stereo track is NOT the same as two mono tracks, technically or experientially.

I'm asking partly because of a current and still-evolving gallery project that is a related but different narrative for each screen, and I'm simply editing them as individual pieces, even though they will be shown simultaneously. (They're not even the same length! So audiences/viewers will never experience the same set of inputs if they visit more than once. Audio delivery is going to be complex but there will be ways of taking in the video contents in one part of the gallery and then chosing to attend to one or other with headphones, from a differerent vantage point. Eeeek! We're still working that out...)

Can't imagine another way than picture-in-picture, but hoping other forum users will have some ideas for you.

Mike Figgis' 2000 film 'Timecode' was groundbreaking, but I haven't seen other films follow in his footsteps! Enjoyed it in the cinema, though I never went to one of the screenings he 'curated' by doing a live soundmix during the narrative - apparently 'responding' to audience mood and interest, however that could be judged

All the best,

Susi

MCversion 2020-10-0 on macOS 10.14.6 13" early-2015 Macbook Pro; 3.1GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB Gizmos... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 23 2016 8:47 PM In reply to

It's documentary like material (not a real documentary) on all screens it's the same narrative, pacing and timing

although that can vary somewhat (the pacing and timing that is) The installation is in a large museum room on each wall a screen the room will be filled by the sound of the film close to a screen you hear best what is on that screen I decide how many screens are "on"(the images are beamed so not on means black) I know 2 mono tracks are not the same as a stereo track I ment the left and right channel of the recorded video Interesting project are you working on and complicated,  you can also work with sound showers   regards Core
    mac pro 3.5 GHz 6 - Core intel xeon E5, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD FirePro D500 32GB ram 2x addonics eSATA raid tower 3 thunderbold-LaCie eSATA Hub ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 24 2016 9:23 AM In reply to

• MagnusMeerkat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 29 2005
    • Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,240

Hi Core,

I've done a similar project with 4 screens - one on each wall of a single room.  We used PIP, but there are loads of cheats to make this workflow quick.  For a start you can build one screen, then apply a PIP effect (already made with the right settings) to all-selected-clips.  By applying ready made PIPs to multple clips it really doesn't take too long.  We allocated one video track to each screen.  Once it's all completed you can select the whole video track and copy/paste it to another sequence and remove all the effects.  You get the full screen timeline for export then.   There's loads of other ways to do it but I can't think of any that don't use PIP.

I'd probably do audio the same way, allocate each screen to one or two audio tracks, then you can make sure all tracks play together nicely, and solo each screen's tracks to work on individually.  Then copy/paste audio tracks individually and put with the full screen timelines.

Good luck, sounds like fun.

Magnus

Symphony 2018.5, Mac Pro 2010 3.33ghz 6core, 32gb, OS X 10.11.6, DNxIO --- MC 9.3 Mac Pro 2009 2.6GHz 6 Core, 32GB, OS X 10.11.6, Nitris DX ---- MC 9.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 24 2016 10:21 AM In reply to

Thanks Magnus,

I do it the way you suggested, in a bin the PIP effects with the right settings it sounds not too much of a hassle. And once ready paste  each video track with associated audio track in a other sequence.

sounds like fun to me as well 

Core

• Mon, Jan 25 2016 3:18 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,996
    • Points 48,200

MagnusMeerkat:

Once it's all completed you can select the whole video track and copy/paste it to another sequence and remove all the effects.

A bit quicker / less prone to error method might be select tracks needed and do a subsequence.  You might want to clean up from there (what tracks are where) or not.  Keeping original tracks could be useful if there are revisions (NEVER!!).

Just a thought.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Thu, Feb 25 2016 6:11 PM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 604
    • Points 7,040

Core, how's the edit going? Wondering if you found a method that helps the edit.

Visited possible gallery for our next installation; great location, but the space probably means sound showers not an option even if we could afford the tech. But I've done 'special places with headphones' before now and it could work nicely, let's see.
    And yes, it's documentary in the sense of being observational rather than constructed - but no people. Also stereo sound (L and R tracks) 

I'd be interested to see how the four different films play with-or-against each other before our first physical rehearsal, so do share any good findings you might have made about laying them up in Avid!
    Wanting to know more about your project anyway :)
    All the best 

Susi

MCversion 2020-10-0 on macOS 10.14.6 13" early-2015 Macbook Pro; 3.1GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB Gizmos... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 6 2016 10:00 AM In reply to

Hi Susi it has taken a while I'm quite busy,

First I gave every video track with their connected stereo audio track their own color  Instead of the PinP effect I used the 3d warp effect, the effect with setting for every screen ready in a bin the effects named upper left, upper right, under left, right under  And lastly I didn't used that at all, well 1 day, because you can't work like that wondering on which screen the shot would fit and why  We work without any script, editing involves a lot try and error trying to work out where the film is about, it's art. So I first make one long story with a lot sub story woven in to it and than think about the  4 screens All the best Core  
  • Fri, Mar 11 2016 9:07 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 604
    • Points 7,040

Thanks, Core, and I appreciate your thoughts - would love to see your work!

Our current project can't be over-thought, as part of the point is that it would never be the same juxtaposition anyway - but trying to imagine the lived experience in the gallery will have to be done for real before any final mixes. So we're ambushing friends with underground space and projector plus ours plus a couple of borrows, to try it out for real.

Oooof, now I have to concentrate on the day job to pay for it...

• Fri, Mar 11 2016 10:09 AM In reply to

For me it is a day job, nice but the pressure to deliver is higher, the deadline is in summer

• Thu, Mar 17 2016 10:12 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 604
    • Points 7,040

Wishing you well, Core. Very happy that my paid work is back on Avid!
    Client wanted me to re-version 12 medical training films on their Final Cut Pro 7 setup, but there was so much missing media anyway that I won the argument about not investing any more into that workflow.  Just delivered approval copies before translations/Yoruba re-voicing. From Avid, phew!

Booked for a camera job today and tomorrow which was cancelled last night  - so there's time to visit 'The Secret Agent' at Victoria Miro here in London before getting back to Nigerian midwives etc. Does this have any relevance/similarity to your work?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller