Latest post Wed, Jan 20 2016 5:02 PM by TCurren. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 14 2016 6:12 PM

• editmarx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank CA
    • Posts 103
    • Points 1,235

Pan and scan

I just got a client request to have me handle the pan and scan for the UK distributors.  They're going to provide me with the 2k ProRes HQ master.

Is there a tutorial available?  I'm debating between doing this as an add edit with frame flex adjustment or just through the Pan and Zoom tool.

Then there's something I notice when doing outputs to QT that shots pick up additional contrast in shadow areas.  Am I alone in this?  Is there anything I can do other than running a small brightness or contrast filter at the output stage?  Not my favorite idea.

8.68.2, DNXIO, Avid Artist Color, Symphony, Mac Tower, 2.7 GHz 12 Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 20 2016 4:54 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

Re: Pan and scan

I would do it with the Pan & Scan. More importantly, can you get an EDL for the film? If you can, there is a sneaky workaround to automatically add the edits to your timeline. 

If not, use Resolve and you can have it automatically add the edits.

Here is a tutorial for Pan & Scan. (Not pan & zoom which does something else.) 

https://vimeo.com/26031219

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, Jan 20 2016 5:02 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

Re: Pan and scan

editmarx:
    Then there's something I notice when doing outputs to QT that shots pick up additional contrast in shadow areas.

You may be mixing RGB & 709 levels. Without seeing the exact issue it is hard to evaluate. here is a good primer in PDF format:

709 vs RGB in Avid

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller