Latest post Fri, Jun 4 2021 1:45 PM by dlogneb. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 23 2015 9:26 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 823
    • Points 10,955

When are they going to fix the Re-dos not working?

Redo still does not work properly.  I was going to put this under feature request, but it's really just a bug.  Re-do just doesn't work properly for me and I'm on an entirely brand new system from when it wasn't working for me before.  There is nothing more frustrating that undoing to go back and retrace your steps, only to find that when you go to Redo, you've lost all your work.  This is probably the single biggest fix they absolutely must make to the program, as soon as possible.  It's really, really bad.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Sat, May 23 2015 9:32 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,680

Re: When are they going to fix the Re-dos not working?

• Sat, May 23 2015 9:34 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 823
    • Points 10,955

Nnata:

Agreed

Thanks for the acknowledgement!:-)

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 23 2015 10:02 PM In reply to

S.Clements:
    nothing more frustrating that undoing to go back and retrace your steps, only to find that when you go to Redo, you've lost all your work.
    As a workaround have you considered duplicating you sequence before going back to retrace your steps? Or noting the time before you go back and use that time to find the appropriate backup in the Avid Attic?

• Sat, May 23 2015 10:09 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 823
    • Points 10,955

AndrewAction:

S.Clements:
    nothing more frustrating that undoing to go back and retrace your steps, only to find that when you go to Redo, you've lost all your work.
    As a workaround have you considered duplicating you sequence before going back to retrace your steps? Or noting the time before you go back and use that time to find the appropriate backup in the Avid Attic?

I haven't, Andrew....I guess that's an ok workaround.  Thanks for mentioning, although it's not really very practical, having to remember to duplicate your timeline whenever you want to undo. They really do need to fix this.

• Wed, Mar 24 2021 11:43 PM In reply to

• rupertvdb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 5 2015
    • Posts 21
    • Points 265

I swear this is still not fixed

• Thu, Mar 25 2021 7:30 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 823
    • Points 10,955

rupertvdb:

I swear this is still not fixed

No, it's defintiely not.

• Wed, Apr 28 2021 3:23 PM In reply to

I'm a few months into Avid. Having the same issue.

It's bananas how creaky and unreliable the apparent industry standard is.

• Tue, Jun 1 2021 2:41 PM In reply to

• campebejo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 20 2018
    • Sweden
    • Posts 55
    • Points 570

This is still a probelm in MC v. 2021.5.

• Tue, Jun 1 2021 4:33 PM In reply to

I'll give it a try next time I'm in but I have to say I rarely use undo so even less often use redo.

Duping my sequence at key stages is a key workflow for me but as you get more familiar with the software most things you do you undo by reversing what you dis. If I trim too much off I just trim back more.

So I think this doesn't seem much light as an issue as many editors just don't use it often.

Thats not to say its shouldn't work correctly but having worked on DVD authoring systems with no undo that committed every change then and there I soon learnt to get it right :-)

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Jun 2 2021 8:27 AM In reply to

• campebejo
    • Not Ranked
    • Sweden
    • Posts 55
    • Points 570

Thanks for your response Pat.

I can understand your perspective, but at the same time I think it’s quite limited.

But perhaps you are correct when you suggest that it might be a generational thing (at 36 years old, I never had to work with DVD authoring system that meant I had to learn to “get it right”.)

Funnily enough, I’m coming from a place where I want to be able to get it wrong! My workflow is one where I’m constantly trying new ideas very quickly on a whim and in a spirit of creative experimentation, and that’s why the undo and redo commands are important to me (and it seems I’m not the only one).

Like you, I also don’t use undo/redo when trimming (it’s easier just to trim back to where you were). But if I’m sitting with a sequence and I get an idea, one which might involve five or six steps in order to see how it looks, then this is when I expect to be able to undo and redo in order to review and analyse the changes I’ve made, step by step.

Having essentially grown up in a digital environment, undo and redo are commands which seem so integral and generic that, from this perspective, it sort of beggars belief that they can’t be relied upon within Media Composer.

I would categorise these commands as that of ‘basic functionality’, along with the likes of copy, paste and save.

Anyway Pat, the long and the short of it from my side is that I think it sucks! Smile

(Or to be more specific: it costs me time and energy which could be better spent solving other problems.)

p.s. I’m not at all unfamiliar with the software, as you have assumed.

• Wed, Jun 2 2021 9:04 AM In reply to

I suspect my experiences of undo in the past and the fact it can create unexpected changes means I just learnt to not risk that.

Coupled with a save wiping out any chance to undo means I just never use it. Dupicate the sequence from the record monitor is my prefered method. I can quickly and easily make a copy of my current timeline and thats loaded and what I'm now working on. I can then go back to a previous copy knowning "where" I was in the edit.

The best thing for bugs that affect users is to raise them via the Avid support option on the Avid website. That needs a repeatable (ideally) set of steps that demonstrates the issue. It then has a chance of having a bug number raised and will have some chance of being resolved.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Jun 2 2021 2:32 PM In reply to

• campebejo
    • Not Ranked
    • Sweden
    • Posts 55
    • Points 570

Thanks Pat, I will try that.

• Thu, Jun 3 2021 8:26 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 406
    • Points 5,070

Pat Horridge:

Thats not to say its shouldn't work correctly but having worked on DVD authoring systems with no undo that committed every change then and there I soon learnt to get it right :-)

Not to mention cutting reversal film - best lesson to plan well. That said, MC's function of Redo was a great asset I used many many times. We've already lost a workable titler and deep customization for the interface, no need to permanently lose the Redo function too. 

Avid MC 2021.6 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m w/ 461.72 driver / BMD UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Fri, Jun 4 2021 1:45 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 84
    • Points 860

Agreed!

S.Clements:

Redo still does not work properly.  I was going to put this under feature request, but it's really just a bug.  Re-do just doesn't work properly for me and I'm on an entirely brand new system from when it wasn't working for me before.  There is nothing more frustrating that undoing to go back and retrace your steps, only to find that when you go to Redo, you've lost all your work.  This is probably the single biggest fix they absolutely must make to the program, as soon as possible.  It's really, really bad.

Avid MC 2018.12.14 Mac Os Mojave (10.14.6 iMac 5k (2017) 34ghz Intel Core i5 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Radeon Pro 570 4 GB [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller