Latest post Thu, May 14 2015 2:17 PM by hholmes. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 13 2015 1:29 AM

• hholmes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 10 2006
    • Nashville, TN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 225

Over cranked music video lip sync issue

I shot some C300 footage for a music video @ 48fps (23.98 base frame rate). The playback track was double speed @ 200%. For some reason I have to increase the speed of the footage to 106.7% in order to sync it to the normal track. Any ideas why? I began the project in Premiere Pro CC 2014 because of it's multicam grouping flexibility (about the only thing I like about Premiere) and this is where I first encountered the issue. I'm currently running MC 5.5.5 on my 2011 MBP with the same issue. Thanks.

Harrison

Mac Pro 3Ghz 8-core;16Gb RAM; ATI Radeon HD 5770; OS 10.6.7 MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz i7; 8Gb RAM; Radeon HD 6750M; OS 10.6.7 Media Composer 5.5.2.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2015 1:47 AM In reply to

Re: Over cranked music video lip sync issue

Was it 48.000fps or 47.952 fps? Is it intended to play back at 23.976 slomo? Sound was truly 200% How was that achieved? Was it a CD resampled at 22.5kHz and played back at 44.1kHz or sampled at 24kHz and played back at 48kHz? 

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2015 2:06 AM In reply to

• hholmes
    • Not Ranked
    • Nashville, TN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 225

I don't know the answer to the first question. In the c300 menu, under "fast/slow motion" or something like that, you can select any frame rate up to 60, no decimal places. I shot 23.98 and yes, it is intended to play back slomo @ 23.98. That's an excellent question regarding how 200% was achieved. I spoke with the engineer who worked on the track and he said it was no problem to double the speed in Ableton. Doesn't seem like much of a task, but they might have been mixing @ 96kHz or higher. Could that be the culprit?

Thanks for your help.

Harrison

Mac Pro 3Ghz 8-core;16Gb RAM; ATI Radeon HD 5770; OS 10.6.7 MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz i7; 8Gb RAM; Radeon HD 6750M; OS 10.6.7 Media Composer 5.5.2.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2015 9:34 AM In reply to

Sounds like a fun project!

I think they want you to produce a normal speed video with a slow motion effect. They intentionally generated the double-speed music for the shoot with so when you work on it and applied the proper speed treartment, the music will sound normal but their action will have that slo-mo effect.

If this is true, you simply apply the right percentage of slowmo to your clips and edit away.

Here's what I'm imagining:

-  First, do a speed-matching session of the source clips first. Again the recorded music/sound is just a scratch track. You still need to have the original music (normal speed) as the guide

- You can render the clips to save computer processing

- Edit away using the proper music track (on normal speed).

I hope it makes sense.

Have fun!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Wed, May 13 2015 1:03 PM In reply to

• hholmes
    • Not Ranked
    • Nashville, TN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 225

Hi Ervz Tia, thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I'm aware of the intended goal when I shot over cranked to a playback track @ double speed. My problem: when I lay in the 48fps slomo footage with the normal speed track, the footage gets behind the track. If I speed up the 48fps to 107% it syncs. I want to know why it is I have to do this, to my knowledge it should sync. If you work out the math, some argue the playback track should be 200.8% if my base frame rate is 23.98, does that account for the required speed offset with my footage? Was is a camera setup issue? These are my questions..

Also, the audio engineer sent two tracks to me, mp3's with a bar of click at the head of each, one normal speed, one double speed. I made23.98 quicktimes of these with color frames on the clicks and bitc. I played these back with my iphone, screen to camera, audio via a powered bluetooth speaker. These are the tracks to which I'm trying to sync. I have imported his master audio track into the project, it lines up perfects with the "click" tracks.

Thanks

Harrison

• Wed, May 13 2015 3:27 PM In reply to

If camera rate was true 48.000 fps and working in a 23.976 project, the audio should not have been doubled, but doubled with pulldown considered:
    44.1kHz = 88.288kHz 48kHz – 96.096kHz
    When these gets “pulled back down” sample for sample, the additional slow down would be applied for drift. You could try taking their audio track exported at 48kHz and use Sound Wave to change it to 47952, import and lay that back up the video to see if it syncs. This assumes that video is playing back frame for frame at 23.976.
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 14 2015 2:17 PM In reply to

• hholmes
    • Not Ranked
    • Nashville, TN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 225

Thanks for the reply. I tried converting the audio without success. I too considered the problems might be my playback device (my iPhone), but my 23.98 footage syncs up perfectly, so the playback was good. Like you suggested, next I would assume the track's speed wasn't doubled properly, but the track is exactly half the duration of the the normal speed. I really think it was some setting in the C300's labyrinthian menus.

Harrison

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller