Latest post Wed, Apr 29 2015 1:57 PM by mjolnarn. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 26 2015 5:07 PM

Relink to source media for export

Hi,

I have MOV files filmed at 50fps (vehicle test drive stuff), and the project itself is set for 1080p 25fps output. For the edit I transcoded to DNxHD 145, and did all the stuff an edit requires. Now, when exporting, how to set up things / relink so that the export comprises the original source material and not the transcoded stuff?

Thank you,

DC

Asus ZenBook UX534FTC_UX534FT running Windows Home 64-bit Processor: Core i7, GTX 1650 Installed memory (RAM): 16.00 GB Installed: Avid MC 2018.12... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 26 2015 11:05 PM In reply to

Re: Relink to source media for export

In the Avid Bin Select Both the Sequence and the Master clip at the same time and then go to the clip menu and Choose "Relink".

For a relink to work in the Avid Bin "fps" (frame per second) column needs to match the clip used in the sequence with the original source file.

If so it can be as simple as selecting the sequence and the original source file and then choose a relink selected command.

Information in columns of the bin need to match for a relink from a sequence to master clips:

frames per second (fps column) needs to match

start timecode column - or - I like to use "Aux TC2" column, it has given me the best relinking results.

and a custom "LINK" column which acts like a tape name except easier to create.

to note sometimes to get a relink to work after setting up matching metadata is to either quit and relaunch the Media Composer or go the the Project Window>Info tab> and click on clear memory

http://www.metadatalinks.com [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 28 2015 8:49 PM In reply to

Hi Scott, thank you for this. However, with all tracks selected and the in & out points at the beginning and end of the whole sequence set, on my 'Clip' drop-down the 'Relink' is greyed out. I don't fully understand what you've written above, only to say that the original source material is 50fps, this was AMA-linked to a like-project set at 50fps, then a new project was started set to 25fps with the previous bins 'pulled through' and the clips transcoded to DNxHD 145 (otherwise playback was stuttering). The edit now done, now I would like to relink this "25fps"-settings project to its original media, then perform the export. How to? Thank you, DC

Asus ZenBook UX534FTC_UX534FT running Windows Home 64-bit Processor: Core i7, GTX 1650 Installed memory (RAM): 16.00 GB Installed: Avid MC 2018.12... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 29 2015 11:29 AM In reply to

Anyone? I can't even find an appropriate tutorial on youtube, etc..

• Wed, Apr 29 2015 12:14 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

Noticed that you are on MC 7 and if you originally ama linked 50 p inside a 25 p project and transcoded that media you should have got an Avid message ( with big bold letters ) telling you that future relinking to the origin media not is going to be possible.

Not at all sure about your workflow however , you are mixing the terms link and import sometimes, so you might want to clarify .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Apr 29 2015 12:31 PM In reply to

I didn't see any such message, although that doesn't mean it didn't pop up (getting workflows right has been a bit taxing, so I may have missed it). Also, yes, for this project I did go onto this forum a lot, and during the course of questions & answers realised the difference between importing and transcoding. My latest explanation (directly above) is the best description I can give at this stage (of my learning) regarding how I went about setting up and proceeding with this project.

• Wed, Apr 29 2015 12:40 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

As said, if it was ama linked ( in MC 7  ) and transcoded to another framerate than the origin framerate , relinking isn´t longer possible .

But why do you need to relink it, a transcode to 25P and DNx 145 , that might have removed 50 % of the frames when transcoding , might sometimes be of enough good quality if there isn´t so much movements.

Maybe you should explain what you want to accomplish and also what the final destination for the project is .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Apr 29 2015 1:00 PM In reply to

I've just done an export from source (now the DNxHD 145) and the pan shots are pretty bad, with (I'm not sure what the best technical term is) sort of 'slicing' of images. And if I can't get back to source then a better way does need finding to do this, especially as there is likely to be more projects on the way.

Ok, from the top, it's the following... I receive footage shot on a GH4 at 1080p 50fps, with final output intended for 1080p 25fps. The reason for this is that often the guys filming shoot vehicle test drive stuff, and they like the faster frame rate as it gives them more options in post-production. They cut on FCP. I'm working on MC7 (and don't think I'll be upgrading just yet), and I can't just AMA-link the footage as playback in the monitors is very stuttery (this may be due to my system) meaning that judging each edit is a real pain. The way I've gone about it, as explained above, is my interpretation of the advice given on earlier threads, and maybe I've interpreted wrong although I was always clear that I just wanted the DNxHD files simply to perform the edits, with exporting intending to be from the original source. Somehow, it hasn't all gone to plan. Please advise, DC

• Wed, Apr 29 2015 1:16 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

In MC 7, that doesn´t support 1080 50P projects, you can use a console command to get all the frames linked into Avid , will give you slowmotion in a 25p project ( but you transcoded to DNx 145 and this is for 30 p now I don´t understand .. )

Anyhow, when having got that slowmo inside your 25p project you are free to manipulate is as you want to , making it speeded up to realtime ( = 50 % ) and adjust render settings to what looks best.

I have forgot that console command right now, was a while since i was on MC 7 , but maybe other will assist with that .

Another solution is to use Squeeze and the Avid J2K codec that supports 1080 50p also with MC 7 transcoding to that one, you want to use frame settings 1 : 1 in Squeeze to get 1080 50p, and then import that file to DNx 120 or DNx 185 , for 25p , with that mentioned console command applied first

Tomas 

• Wed, Apr 29 2015 1:29 PM In reply to

Sorry, although this has gone over my head. In short, I'm looking for the best way to set up my workflows using what I've got (MC7), and what I'm given (1080p 50 footage)... all intended for a 1080p 25 output.

• Wed, Apr 29 2015 1:57 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

And that is as described above so

Project 1080 25 p with transcode possibilities to DNx 120 or DNx185 ( x )

Ama link 1080 25 media and transcode

Ama link 1080 50p media with the correct console command applied ( or maybe ama link without console command to get a motion adapter , change the motion adapter to 100 and trim it to full length )

Render the effect , do not transcode, then do a video mixdown to lock that clip.

Do your edits , render to the same codec as you have transcoded to ( so DNx 120 or DNx 185 ( x )   )

and export Same as Source ( I will never understand where you got that DNx 145 codec from, maybe you just mistyped )

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller