Latest post Wed, Dec 31 2014 4:49 PM by AndrewAction. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 31 2014 3:12 PM

Deactivating MC8 and reverting to an older version

I have a question about using two systems.

I am working with version5 and considering upgrading before midnight.  I am working on a perpetual project with no downtime, and I will probably do the actual upgrade in a month or two.  My 2010-era Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad-core Intel Xeon currently running 10.6.8 will probably need to be replaced to be fast enough to run the new software.  During the transition, I would like to be able to revert back to my version 5 system if there are any bugs or complications  (Oh, there WILL be bugs). No time to mess around when there are deadlines.

QUESTION:  Will I be able to de-activate version 8 and fire up version 5 on the old system if I have problems, or does the new license shut me out of my old Avid?

Also, I am currently using Photoshop CS4 version 11. 

QUESTION:  Will a new Mac make this software version obsolete?

Barry

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 3:24 PM In reply to

Re: Deactivating MC8 and reverting to an older version

The Electric Wallpaper Co.:
    I am working with version5 and considering upgrading before midnight.  I am working on a perpetual project with no downtime, and I will probably do the actual upgrade in a month or two.

You can just order the contract and not upgrade your dongle or software license for as long as you like. No need to do the actual upgrade today at all.

QUESTION:  Will I be able to de-activate version 8 and fire up version 5 on the old system if I have problems, or does the new license shut me out of my old Avid?

If you do upgrade your dongle or license, you will be limited in which older versions you can launch. See: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/Using-a-Media-Composer-8-0-Symphony-Option-or-NewsCutter-Option-license-to-activate-a-previous-version for details.

Will a new Mac make this software version obsolete?
    It is highly unlikely that you will successfully run v5 on a brand new Mac, mostly because the new Macs will run Yosemite, and that is nowhere near qualified for MC5.

Finally, do take into account that upwards compatibility with MC is generally very good. So you could even consider just moving forward and complete your ongoing project in a newer version of MC. Biggest caveat would be plugins. Your older AVX plugins in MC5 are 32-bit and won't work in MC v6 or later. Some AudioSuite effects have not been ported to AAX (the new audio plugin format since v8.1).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 31 2014 3:28 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    You can just order the contract and not upgrade your dongle or software license for as long as you like. No need to do the actual upgrade today at all.

That I understand clearly.  The question is:

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 3:36 PM In reply to

The question is:

And my answer still is:

Job ter Burg:
    If you do upgrade your dongle or license, you will be limited in which older versions you can launch. See: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/Using-a-Media-Composer-8-0-Symphony-Option-or-NewsCutter-Option-license-to-activate-a-previous-version for details.

The spreadsheet there shows that once your dongle (if you have one) is blasted to v8, you can no longer use v5.x, but you can still use 5.5.4 or 6.0.5.1 or 6.5.4.2 or 7.0.4. If you have a SW license for v8, that won't let you use v5.x, but it only lets you run 6.5.4.2 or 7.0.4.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 31 2014 3:44 PM In reply to

Sorry, Job ter Burg.

Your response got truncated on my screen and I only saw the top half of it for some reason.

Thanks for the info.

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 3:57 PM In reply to

Based on the fact that upgrading to version 8 effectively shuts down my version 5 Avid, I'm going to pass on the upgrade.  I can't take the chance that version 8 won't work properly right out of the gate and I have no option to fire up my old system to meet a deadline. Not worth the risk.

Barry

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 4:00 PM In reply to

Your choice. But you CAN upgrade your license without activating it, and that allows you to do the actual software upgrade whenever you want. In the meantime, you can still run v5.

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 4:02 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    It is highly unlikely that you will successfully run v5 on a brand new Mac, mostly because the new Macs will run Yosemite, and that is nowhere near qualified for MC5.

Oh, just to be clear, I would not try to run MC5 on a new Mac.  I would be keeping it on the old Mac Pro as a back-up system, and de-activating 8 in order to re-activate it in case of emergency.

Barry

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 4:06 PM In reply to

OK, in that case, if you don't want to lose the right to upgrade your license in the future, get the upgrade, and upgrade your old system to 5.5.4. You can then always revert to that. 5.5 was a popular version, 5.5.4 is its most up-to-date version. No hassle with AVX or AudioSuite, both would still be the same as in v5.

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 4:07 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,468
    • Points 18,240

Job ter Burg:

Your choice. But you CAN upgrade your license without activating it, and that allows you to do the actual software upgrade whenever you want. In the meantime, you can still run v5.

To add to that and re-emphasize... if you do not  upgrade your license TODAY it will cost you an extra $1000 to do so later.

• Wed, Dec 31 2014 4:49 PM In reply to

smrpix:
    To add to that and re-emphasize... if you do not  upgrade your license TODAY it will cost you an extra $1000 to do so later.
    Or to use any current version in the future you COULD change to Subscription but that would cost you $300 more annually than keeping your Perpetual licence with an annual Support contract starting today

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller