Latest post Fri, Apr 28 2017 12:36 PM by John Mac. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 14 2014 4:10 PM

• Terry Hopkins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 30 2010
    • Charlotte, NC
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,455

Error after Installing MC8

I just installed Media Composer v8 and I got the following error message when trying to open MC8.

"There was an error initializing the licensing engine. If you have migrated data from a different machine please delete the folder: C:\ProgramData\Avid\Licenses  Application can't continuse to work and will be terminated."

I have not migrated from another machine. I installed MC8 on the same machine that had MC6.

Just double checking what I should do.

Thanks,
    Terry 

Intel i7, 12GB ram, Dual 23' monitors, Avid Media Composer 8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 17 2014 4:03 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 598
    • Points 8,115

Re: Error after Installing MC8

I moved the references licenses file out of App data (safer than deleting)  I then started Media Composer, and it seemed fine, had no problem with showing correct license info on splash screen and seemed to be O.K.  This apparently created a new licences file.  I rebooted the maching, and app manager went into synching mode, made some updates to the licenses files and eventually showe everything was in sync.

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Mon, Nov 17 2014 10:25 PM In reply to

• Terry Hopkins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 30 2010
    • Charlotte, NC
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,455

Thanks for the reply wmcole.

I just tried to open MC8 again and this time I get a message that said "the licensing service required to activate this software is not running. Please reinstall the product or download and run the iLok License Manager installer at http://www.ilok.com

Is this something new with installing the new Avid Media Composer?

Intel i7, 12GB ram, Dual 23' monitors, Avid Media Composer 8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 26 2014 6:39 PM In reply to

• PopkornTV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 4 2014
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Getting exactly the same problem. This happend out of nowhere for me.  Have been using the trial version fine with no problems for the past 20 days. System froze. Reopened and it's now asking me to reinstall iLok.. V8.2 MC has been freezing very intermitently on several of our machines. Not great..

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Nov 28 2014 6:01 PM In reply to

• ron123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 5 2010
    • Posts 28
    • Points 300

I'm having the same issue. I may have deleted the original files because for some reason they were installed on a completely different drive. I was doing some house keeping.

Anyway, I downloaded and reinstalled the ILok manager and Avid would fire up just fine, but once I go back after the system has been shut down, it tells me it was installed incorrectly once again. I've reinstalled it a couple of times now. Everytime Avid MC 8.2 opens and operates, only to error again when I fire up the computer a few days later.

Has anyone heard anything from a moderator on this? I guess I'm going to have to use my support licence.

• Fri, Nov 28 2014 7:59 PM In reply to

ron123:
    I guess I'm going to have to use my support licence.

Activation problems get free support.  It's option 2 from the phone menu.

http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-contact

Select Broadcast & Video, then on the next page click the + next to Contact Support and call the number listed for your area.  Help with activation/dongle issues is free, and it's option 2 from the phone menu.

If you don't get anywhere with them, send an email to Marianna Montague (marianna.montague@avid.com).  She's their customer advocate, and can help you.

Media Composer 2022.4 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Dec 4 2014 7:26 PM In reply to

• PopkornTV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 4 2014
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Ok, so after uninstalling avid and iLok and then reinstalling avid 8, we're back to square one. Everything seemed to be working fine for a couple of days, then the video I was watching (just dnx36 rushes, nothing strenuous) stuttered and then paused. Everything locked up, first avid, then the mouse. Had to hard re-start. Powered back on and it's now asking for iLok to be re-installed at the splash screen. When I ok that message, I get a second error with

Exception: AMPITest: failure reported with no error details, ACFRESULT:0x8000000D

I ok that and Avid quits... 

Has as anyone else seen the system grind to halt like that out of nowhere and ask for iLok after restart? 

Any suggestions other than fresh install would be great! Thanks

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Dec 8 2014 9:54 PM In reply to

• Ed
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 9 2010
    • Seneca, South Carolina
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

Having a similar problem with iLok. I had to delete the Pace program and reinstall from the iLok website.  This worked Ok until I shutdown.  On reboot I get "incorrectly installed" message asking me to reinstall again.  I have a 64 bit win 7 manchine, and the iLok install places their 64 bit version under the x86 programs folder.  maybe that's the problem? 

My MC still seems to function (so far), but I haven't tried to do much with it except scrub thru a recent project. 

I now note that the Avid License Control program now is empty under Product.  That means I can't deactivate or activate the software anymore??

I have a version 7 image backup but I don't see where that info is located or if it would do any good.  Do I need to delete the 8.2 and reinstall, or does that just put me back to where I was??

Thanks for any help

OK, I went back to my machine an hour later after I closed MC, and the entire system was locked up.  No mouse, no keyboard functions. Had to just cut the power and cold boot.  There is definitely a serious problem here.

ASUS P6X58D MB, Core i7 920 2.6 Ghz, 12GB DDR3 RAM, PNY Nvidia Quadro fx1800 768MB, video drive is 2 WD 1TB caviar 7200 SATA 3.0 drives in RAID 0, Win7... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Dec 9 2014 6:58 PM In reply to

• ron123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 5 2010
    • Posts 28
    • Points 300

I called Avid support and they did a full uninstall and reinstall of MC 8.2. When I went back later and rebooted, the iLok said it was an out of date version and needed to be updated. This may be the crux of the problem. I did the update, but on the next time I started up the system it was off line again. So again, I unistalled and reinstalled the iLok License Manager. This time it seems to have taken. I've checked it several times over the last few days and it seems to be stable now. I hope I'm not jinxing myself.

Avid support said that this is a known issue. They were supposed to have sent me a followup email, but I never got it.

I would recommend having Avid support do the reinstall, if nothing else to continue to have the issue addressed. Because this is an activation issue, there is no charge. It actually went very quickly and I was able to get helped right away. As I said, the version of iLok was out of date when it was reinstalled and I had to reintall a new version again, but it now seems okay.

I haven't been doing any real editing since this all started, so I haven't experienced any freezing. My iLok Manager also shows nothing under Product, but the Avid still works.

Good luck.

• Thu, Dec 11 2014 9:01 PM In reply to

• Ed
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 9 2010
    • Seneca, South Carolina
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

Thanks Ron123,

I did end up calling Avid support ... It was quick and easy.  My support person was quick and efficient (and free). 

I did have another failure on a subsequent bootup, but after reading the "trouble shooting" link on the iLok download I believe the problem is a slow boot.  My machine has been noticably slower to boot lately.  I did adjust the iLok software to "Automatic (delayed start)" while I pursue the reason on my system.  This seems to fix my problem except for one failure which occured when re-booting after an automatic microsoft download of 23 patches to upgrade files.  Boots following these upgrades can take awhile.  Boots after that seem to be working without a new iLok install. 

I don't know why these delays should cause an iLok failure, but apparently it does.  Their trouble shooting page also suggests maybe extending the timeout length, but it would effect all programs  not just iLok. 

Ed  

PS I also learned that the Avid License Control is no longer used to activate/deactivate since version 8.  It's now done in the Application Manager.   It was a little scary to see the Avid License Control blank in the middle of all this.  I see nothing in the readme about this change.

ASUS P6X58D MB, Core i7 920 2.6 Ghz, 12GB DDR3 RAM, PNY Nvidia Quadro fx1800 768MB, video drive is 2 WD 1TB caviar 7200 SATA 3.0 drives in RAID 0, Win7... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Dec 30 2014 5:54 PM In reply to

• Geo. Cohn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 3 2006
    • Mountain View, CA
    • Posts 68
    • Points 885

Hey Ed I've been having the same problem: reinstalling iLok fixes the issue, but only until the next reboot.  Since you mentioned it might be a timing issue during bootup, I tried restarting the PACE Licence Services instead of reinstalling, and that also made the problem go away.

To restart the service I had to right-click My Computer, select Manage, and in the Computer Management GUI select Services under Services and Applications.  Then I was able to select the PACE Licence Services and stop & restart it.  After that MC 8.3 came right up with no error.

Intel i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard 12 gigs DDR3 1600 GeForce GTX 660 (GeForce 320.49 Driver) Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 26 2017 6:47 PM In reply to

• John Mac
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,465

Yes, same error for me, too. A friend got exactly same error message. This is clearly a bug in the system

JM

MC 8 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit i7 Intel Core 4 cores 3.5 GHz 16 Gb ram Nvidia quadro 4000 Matrox mini 6TB internal connected to SATA III ports [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 27 2017 7:56 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,573
    • Points 255,615
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

John Mac

Can you email me directly ( address below ) and include your OS, MC versions exactly and computer spec's.

marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 28 2017 12:36 PM In reply to

• John Mac
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 184
    • Points 2,465

Hi Marianna

have sent you direct email re this issue

John

MC 8 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit i7 Intel Core 4 cores 3.5 GHz 16 Gb ram Nvidia quadro 4000 Matrox mini 6TB internal connected to SATA III ports [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller