Latest post Thu, Nov 27 2014 9:12 PM by MAC HOLLAND. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 7 2014 3:51 PM

Relink offline files for a big Project

Hi

If we lose "Avid MediaFiles/MXF" but we have the oroginal files, how we can relink all offline clips in MC project very fast?

I should open each bin and relink each clip one by one or is there any option for media management to find all offline clips in project and serch for them on different drive?

Protools 11 HD, HD Native Card, D-Command, Omni, Sync IO Symphony 6 / Media composer 8 Mac Pro, Macbook Pro 13" Retina, Mac OS 10.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 10 2014 2:57 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,210
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Re: Relink offline files for a big Project

The files in the MXF folders are not the same as the original files so you can't just relink to the original to bring the media back online. They need to be re-imported or batch captured (if using tape).

If the media was previously imported from card media then you open the Media Tool, slecting all drives and current project. Then select the offline master clips and choose batch import from the file menu. This open up a window listing all the clips to be reimported and their last known paths. If the media has moved from where it was originally imported then you will have to reset the file location for the import, you'll be able to tell because the file path will be red if it doesn't exist any more (ie if you originally imported from the camera cards themselves, or if the drive that contains the originals is nout mounted).

If necessary then, in that window you select all the clips and choose 'set file location' and find the original file for the first in your list. Any clips that it can locate relative to that first one it will, and the file path in the batch import window will update to reflect this. Either keep going until all the files have the correct path before importing the whole lot, or update and import them one subfolder at a time, checking as you go.

Of course if the file paths haven't changed since the original import then you can just select all the files and hit import.

e2a sorry, just realised that you can't do the batch import from the media tool itself. Once you've got all your clips listed in there make a new bin called RELINK or similar and drag all the master clips from the media tool into this bin.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 2:25 AM In reply to

Thanks a million for your complete answer

But I lost my XMF folder and each my original file and rushes was on seprate folder same as I imported them before.

With batch import MC doesn't accept all files when I selected one rushes on one folder and I had to relink all file seprately.

So with serch I found all *.xmf files in one page then I put them in one folder and then with batch import and relink one file it recognised address of all of them,

By the way I couldnt find batch import in Media tool!and also the list it gave e is it the all offline file on my project in all bins?

Protools 11 HD, HD Native Card, D-Command, Omni, Sync IO Symphony 6 / Media composer 8 Mac Pro, Macbook Pro 13" Retina, Mac OS 10.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 11:47 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,640

Alireza Vasefi:

Thanks a million for your complete answer

But I lost my XMF folder and each my original file and rushes was on seprate folder same as I imported them before.

With batch import MC doesn't accept all files when I selected one rushes on one folder and I had to relink all file seprately.

So with serch I found all *.xmf files in one page then I put them in one folder and then with batch import and relink one file it recognised address of all of them,

By the way I couldnt find batch import in Media tool!and also the list it gave e is it the all offline file on my project in all bins?

You've confused me... 

1. Forget the mxf files - you deleted them. Stop trying to relink them.

2. batch import is not in the media tool. Highlight your offline clips in the bin, then go to clip menu, batch import command

3. Choose offline media only

4. Select all the clips in the batch import window. If avid can see the files you'll see the existing path in the 2nd column - if you haven't moved your original files Avid should know where they are.

5. If not click the select file location - if all your source media is in one folder Avid will find them all without indivually setting each file

6. Then choose import and Avid will re-import and relink all your media and sequences automatically

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Nov 27 2014 9:12 PM In reply to

• MAC HOLLAND
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Holland Landing Ontario
    • Posts 740
    • Points 9,390

many thanks for this detailed explanation ...it just saved my bacon in a very, very big way. I owe you a pint mate. 

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 4.08 Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI... [view my complete system specs]

MAC HOLLAND
    YORK REGION - ONTARIO

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller