Latest post Mon, Jul 28 2014 10:36 PM by jfv. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 14 2014 12:33 PM

• jfv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 30 2010
    • Posts 26
    • Points 280

Sad [:(] new "intelligent" slip & slide mode :-(

Hi !

I do a lot of slip & slide once the clips are in the timeline, also quite often I use the asymetric trim option, and have been enjoying these features for the last 18 years...  but ever since Avid decided to "help me" select transitions involved in slip, slide & asymetric trims, I wonder if there is a way to ignore these automatic selections and select by myself what numerous cuts are involved in a single trim.

If I select transitions on multiple tracks that are a few seconds apart from each other, and that other transitions are in the middle of the zone of interest, Avid automatically selects clips closest to each other in what I presume is an attemps of "intelligent" selection, but goes against what I wish to move together or not :-(

I've been experiencing this problem for the last couple of years, but today is the day I've decided to look for help...

Thanks !

slip slide
    Avid Symphony 6.0.3.2 Mac Book Pro 17" 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 8 GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 8:12 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 573
    • Points 7,140
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: new "intelligent" slip & slide mode :-(

Well, I think there is hope for you...

I set up a timeline situation like you show. Firstly, I shift/alt r-l lassoed the clips on A3/4 (your 'edited clip B'). This gave me Slide mode on them (you mention alt/lasso - it's shift/alt lasso).  Then I shift-clicked the trim rollers on A1 and A2 as per your steps 2 & 3. There was no change to the selcted clips on A3 and A4.

Maybe because I'm using a soon-to-be released software update...

NB Actually, in the example you show, you could shift/alt/lasso the whole lot in one go.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 10:36 PM In reply to

• jfv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 30 2010
    • Posts 26
    • Points 280

Re: new "intelligent" slip & slide mode :-(

Thanks MikeyB !

I've received a similar answer in a Mac Media Composer forum where I've posted the same message (I'm actually using a Symphony but my issue was common to both softwares).  Problem solved.  Thanks again for your help.

What puzzled me is that for the first 14 years of my professional life as an editor, entering slide trim mode in one move around several cuts spread apart in the timeline (as I described in my illustration) could be done WITHOUT having to hold down the shift key - all I had to do was a right-to-left lasso while holding ALT.  And entering in slip mode was even easier - only the lasso move without ALT, and still no need for the SHIFT key.  And at the time, never would the software try to "act intelligent" by automatically changing my trim selection, even if heads and tails were several cuts apart from each other.  Yeah, those were good times...

Seriously, I can understand why they introduced a "smart selection" feature in trim mode.  But it should have remained an option - something that can be disabled in the trim settings.  Having to hold down the SHIFT key to do the same thing I used to do for so many years without having to hold the SHIFT key is slightly annoying.

As one of my aunts used to say : "The better is the enemy of the good".

Avid Symphony 6.0.3.2 Mac Book Pro 17" 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 8 GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller