Latest post Fri, May 23 2014 5:14 PM by zendown. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 17 2014 3:59 PM

• zendown
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 10 2009
    • Posts 40
    • Points 485

Avid and new MacPro

Okay... So what powerful computer do you currently buy to stay slightly ahead of the game right now? Avid seems to be supporting Mac computers you can't purchase any longer. Red flag anyone?

• Sat, May 17 2014 4:40 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 530
    • Points 7,035

Re: Avid and new MacPro

Despite my recent unhappiness with Avid, I can say that 7.0.4 does work on the new mac pro, as does 8.0.  Not sure what you're alluding to when you say that avid doesn't support it.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 17 2014 5:55 PM In reply to

• zendown
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 40
    • Points 485

Perhaps I didn't state my point correctly. If I had to buy a new computer today, what would you buy. Are you saying Avid supports the new Power Mac? 

• Sat, May 17 2014 6:34 PM In reply to

• zendown
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 40
    • Points 485

Sorry... stupid me. Last I had checked there was no support for the new MacPros. Now there is. I got a little worried. Thank you for the wake up!

• Sun, May 18 2014 2:21 PM In reply to

Just be aware and don't be caught like I did that the new Mac Pro does NOT support the Nitris DX I/o with Thunderbolt and because you are unable to add any cards to the Mac Pro, it's into the bin with the Nitris DX.

2013 MacPro 10.12.3 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, iMac 27 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, Anyone want to buy a useless Nitris DX then! [view my complete system specs]

Big Hat

(All Hat, No Cattle)
    Mac Pro 2013

• Sun, May 18 2014 4:01 PM In reply to

• zendown
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 40
    • Points 485

Thats the sh**s. I have the nitris ds. Mine is one of the earlier ones with firewire 800.Avid should provide some hardware mod.

• Sun, May 18 2014 6:18 PM In reply to

• zendown
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 40
    • Points 485

I understand most of us are involved with file-based editing these days, but assuming one needed to capture video on a project, how does the new MacPro/Avid accomplish such a mission?

• Sun, May 18 2014 6:22 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

You´ll need firewire if it´s such a cam and a tb adapter will not work.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, May 18 2014 7:41 PM In reply to

Video capture is done by one of the multiple Thunderbolt products that are out there - whether from Matrox, AJA, Blackmagic, a few others.

Depends where the video is coming from / what types of inputs you need.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.6, Avid Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 19 2014 4:31 PM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 56
    • Points 775

I'm curious, does anyone know if the HDMI output on the new Mac Pro can be used to feed a client monitor, and if so, does it work well?

Thanks!

Brian

Mac Pro, 12-core Westmere, 2.66 GHz, 16GB, 4.5TB RAID, OSX Lion 7.2, Media Composer 5.5.3, 27" LED Cinema Display, Matrox Mini 02, 20" JVC Broadcast... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 19 2014 8:54 PM In reply to

The HDMI out is a computer signal, not a video signal. It'll look as good as going full screen on a computer monitor. For proper video monitoring, you need video IO hardware.

• Tue, May 20 2014 12:32 AM In reply to

• ericswanson
    • Not Ranked
    • Texas
    • Posts 61
    • Points 805

My questions regarding the new MacPro are:

1) Do you go for more cores at lower clock speed -or- fewer cores at higher clock speed for Avid MC (assuming you ignore the cost question)? Which ones will give you better day-to-day operation and more years of usefullness, vs. faster render times. (I don't mind waiting 30 seconds longer for my short videos to render, I prefer a "zippy editing experinece" and the ability to play back more V tracks in real time, if I had to choose between the two.)

2) Or does the number of cores vs. clock speed not really matter as much as how fast your media can be inputted/outputted -- but if so, would you still go for more cores or less cores if you had the option?

3) Does getting the more expensive graphics cards benefit Avid MC/Symphony/Avid FX/BCC?

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread...

Eric

Editing on an iMac Pro [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Wed, May 21 2014 9:02 PM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 56
    • Points 775

Thanks! I look forward to reading what you find. 

Mac Pro, 12-core Westmere, 2.66 GHz, 16GB, 4.5TB RAID, OSX Lion 7.2, Media Composer 5.5.3, 27" LED Cinema Display, Matrox Mini 02, 20" JVC Broadcast... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 21 2014 10:23 PM In reply to

• zendown
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 40
    • Points 485

Don't know the answer for Avid, but I did read an article that I found interesting concerning cores. It said the answer to great cpu performance is determined  by the software. So some software would actually slow down if it wasn't addressing the multiple cores. A single chip sometimes is actually faster than several if the software hasn't been written to address the cpu s. Something to know about in general. I always thought the more the better. But apparently this is NOT true. AVID tech should know what is the better choice....(I would hope)

• Thu, May 22 2014 9:03 AM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 597
    • Points 6,955
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

ericswanson:

My questions regarding the new MacPro are:

1) Do you go for more cores at lower clock speed -or- fewer cores at higher clock speed for Avid MC (assuming you ignore the cost question)? Which ones will give you better day-to-day operation and more years of usefullness, vs. faster render times. (I don't mind waiting 30 seconds longer for my short videos to render, I prefer a "zippy editing experinece" and the ability to play back more V tracks in real time, if I had to choose between the two.)

2) Or does the number of cores vs. clock speed not really matter as much as how fast your media can be inputted/outputted -- but if so, would you still go for more cores or less cores if you had the option?

3) Does getting the more expensive graphics cards benefit Avid MC/Symphony/Avid FX/BCC?

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread...

Eric

I too would really like to know the answers to these questions.

Any chance of some input from Avid engineers?

Thanks

Nigel

NEXIS E4, MC v22.7 on MacOS 10.15.7 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller