Latest post Sat, Mar 15 2014 4:15 PM by David Street. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 15 2014 2:26 PM

Ripped Off

I've just tried to upgrade from Avid MC 6.0.3 to MC 7.3 - I'd stupidly upgraded to Mavericks with out thinking Dohh - So to save days of work going backwards I thought I'd take the easy route and upgrade. Started the process when to Avid Store and it said $399 OK me thinks expensive way to pay for a stupid mistake on my part but it was my mistake. Cliked buy and it suddenly said £346.80 - whoooaaa me thinks, thats not right on the current exchange rate it shoulds only be £239.96 or thereabouts - now I can accept a wee bit of differential but being hit for more than a third extra, hang on - Does Avid really want to lose all its British Customers?

Running MC5.03 on a 27 inch iMac OSX 10.6.5 Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz Total Number Of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB Processor Interconnect... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 15 2014 2:36 PM In reply to

Re: Ripped Off

Note that the 346.80 GBP includes 20% UK VAT. If you are a VAT registered company, you can reclaim that.The 391,51 EUR price in the EU store includes VAT as well, just not sure how much VAT, Avid and Arvato do not make that clear.

Also, as Avid doesn't set international pricing daily, you should consider that the USD is currently much weaker than the GBP and EUR, weaker than on average.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 15 2014 3:04 PM In reply to

Even alowing for the VAT at 20% we are still being charged approxiamtley a $100 more than our American colleagues, which ever way you cut it - Avid are penalising their European users - It is very unfair

Running MC5.03 on a 27 inch iMac OSX 10.6.5 Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz Total Number Of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB Processor Interconnect... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 15 2014 3:50 PM In reply to

There will always be currency differences. Again, the current USD-GBP exchange rate is weak, much weaker than 3 months ago, or a year ago. The EU price, however, seems much more in line with the current exchange rate.

It could be worse: Adobe charged EU customers up to 45% more, even discarding the VAT. A few years ago, flying to the US and purchasing the Master Collection was cheaper than buying the same product in Holland. 

I do think that SW upgrades do not need to be localized. We should just be able to get them from the US store, as it is merely a SW license. With boxes, it's a bit different.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 15 2014 4:15 PM In reply to

I totally accept that there will always be currency differences. As an advocat of Avid to students and new entrants to the industry I really struggle with such a massive difference. Just because Adobe do it doesn't make it right, just or fair. I do though agree with you on the software licence aspect, as I often buy SW from American manufacturers and pay for it in dollars. Here's to trying to persuade Avid to be more equitable.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller