Latest post Tue, Feb 4 2014 10:19 PM by nscherr. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 4 2014 12:36 AM

• nscherr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Camp Hill, PA
    • Posts 73
    • Points 885

Compositing using 3D Warp Effect and SubMaster

I'm stumped...I've been trying to marry a boarder frame .png graphic with alpha (V3) over top of a video clip that's been sized down to about 60% (V2) to match the boarder frame. All of this over top of an animated background (V1). I've collapsed clips V3 and V2 into a submaster. My hope was to fly my submaster clip using 3DWarp over top of V1 but the background flys around with the composite. No matter which way i arrange the clips, I just can't get the desired result. The only way I can get this to work is to create seperate effects for both my V3 and V2 tracks. I can't seem to just marry both layers together and fly them as one unit. Does anyone know a workaround for this?? Also, If I need to create this as two seperate effects, is there and easy way to copy the effects parameters from V3 (The graphic with Alpha) to V2 effect (full video frame sized down to 60%)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

Dell M6600 laptop Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1 Intel i7 8 cores Nvidia Quadro 4000M 8 Gig Ram 500 gig internal eSataHDD Lenovo ThinkCentre M Series... [view my complete system specs]

Nick Scherr Video Production Manager Rite Aid Corporation

• Tue, Feb 4 2014 3:26 PM In reply to

• mBlaze
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,950

Re: Compositing using 3D Warp Effect and SubMaster

I have a workaround for you, it may not be as elegant as you would like, but it works. (I've attachéd an image of the timeline for a reference)

The first thing you's need to do is make your Frame full raster. So, if you're working in 720p, make the Frame image 1280x720. Import that into you project with alpha in the center for the video that you want to place inside.

Next, create a title in the Title Tool that's a Full Frame Rectangle. Save that Full Frame Rectangle title and place it into your sequence over what you'd like to use for a background.

Step into the Full Frame Rectangle title and replace its fill with your imported Frame graphic (1.2).

Then step inside your Frame graphic and replace the empty bottom track (2.1) with the video you want inside the frame.

Reduce the Rectangle Title to the size you want and keyframe whatever moves you need. It will move the frame and its video as a group without affecting the background.

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 on MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]

James Burke
    Video Producer / Editor / Designer
    blog.DVfanatics.com

• Tue, Feb 4 2014 6:53 PM In reply to

• nscherr
    • Not Ranked
    • Camp Hill, PA
    • Posts 73
    • Points 885

Thanks James for taking the time to draw this out. I'll give it a try!

Nick

Dell M6600 laptop Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1 Intel i7 8 cores Nvidia Quadro 4000M 8 Gig Ram 500 gig internal eSataHDD Lenovo ThinkCentre M Series... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Feb 4 2014 9:08 PM In reply to

• mBlaze
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,950

This solution assumes a frame with a straight outer edge, If the the outer edge is not straight, this should work by replacing the Full Frame Rectangle from the Title Tool with an imported alpha graphic of the outside edges of the frame.
    Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 on MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]

James Burke
    Video Producer / Editor / Designer
    blog.DVfanatics.com

• Tue, Feb 4 2014 10:19 PM In reply to

• nscherr
    • Not Ranked
    • Camp Hill, PA
    • Posts 73
    • Points 885

Yes, you read my mind. My frame's outer edge isn't straight and contains varing levels of opacity. Thanks for clarifying this. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how it works out.

Nick

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller