Latest post Thu, Jan 30 2014 3:32 PM by mhamilton. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 26 2014 1:34 AM

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 413
    • Points 5,310

Laptop mini audio jack issues with Avid

Hi

When plugging in speakers or headphones in to headphone jack of my MBP Retina 15" MC doesn't really like it. Either becomes sluggish or other issues. Is there an alternative way to get desktop speakers to work without getting an i/o box (blackmagic/aja)? Or if there is a setting I am missing. 

Also should mention I am using this connected to a thunderbolt display. Sound is okay from the display, but not ideal by any means.

Thx

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Thu, Jan 30 2014 2:14 PM In reply to

• mBlaze
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 427
    • Points 4,950

Re: Laptop mini audio jack issues with Avid

I use Harman Kardon Soundsticks on my MBP. They plug into my USB hub. I saw that they have a newer version that works via Bluetooth. There might be other brands out there that use USB, Thunderbolt or Bluetooth.
    Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 on MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]

James Burke
    Video Producer / Editor / Designer
    blog.DVfanatics.com

• Thu, Jan 30 2014 3:06 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 5,310

Thanks. I ended up getting some desktop M-Audio studio monitors and are working fine using the audio jack. Not sure what was going on with the other speakers. 

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Thu, Jan 30 2014 3:32 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,589
    • Points 19,995

mBlaze:
    I saw that they have a newer version that works via Bluetooth. There might be other brands out there that use USB, Thunderbolt or Bluetooth.

Bluetooth won't work with Avid.

This from Avid Support in answer to my question about bluetooth:

"Unfortunately this is a limitation of the CoreAudio manager. CoreAudio Manager cannot be used by two application at the same time. So when you use your BT headset it wil also use the CoreAudio driver the same time with Media Composer and it will give you the error message. Disabling the BT headset and using the conventional wired headset should resolve this"

Regards, Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller