Latest post Tue, Oct 29 2013 1:53 PM by cccu tech. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 28 2013 12:22 PM

Creating Folder causing big issues - MC7

I have recently upgraded to MC7.2 on a Mac and use G-Tech G-Rain external hard drives as my external media drives, as I have done for years - I am currently working on an 8TB drive that is for an ongoing year long project that currently has about 1TB of HD media imported/transcoded from XDCamHD as XDCam50, or from HDCam at DnxHD120

I am constantly having an issue after editing for about over an hour - I cannot render any effects, import any media or digitise anything - I get several different errors, all linked to the Creating Folder.  I have 3 MXF files in my Media Files/MXF on the external drive, and MXF3 holds the Creating Folder.

For example - just now I have tried to render some effects and get: "Exception: 'DISK_UNIX_ERROR' and names MediaFiles/MXF/3 as the source of the problem - I then cannot delete the "Creating" Folder in the file MXF3 until I re-boot the system.  So I have to quit Avid, restart, delete the Creating Folder, open Avid again, and off we go - until next time.

I have to go through this process many many times a day - it's painful.

Does anyone else experience this issue...?  Can anyone shed any light on why this may be happening - it's wasting a lot of time, and has become rather tiresome...!  It has been happening since i upgraded a couple of months back (uninstalled previous version, new settings etc etc)

Let me know, thanks

T

• Mon, Oct 28 2013 1:18 PM In reply to

Re: Creating Folder causing big issues - MC7

It could be a fauty or corrupt File System.  Run "Repair Disk" from within Disk Utilities on that volume.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Oct 28 2013 4:37 PM In reply to

Hi Randall,

Thanks for the prompt response - I should have mentioned that I had already gone down that route - I have just run a Repair Disk from the Disk Utility again to make sure and it comes back with a green "The volume appears to be OK"  -  So am guessing this is not the issue.  Any other ideas very welcome....

Many thanks

T

• Mon, Oct 28 2013 5:39 PM In reply to

What is the full path to your media drive folders? 

You use "files" and "folders' a bit interchagably...are you saying you have 3 numbered FOLDERS in your MXF folder?

You can try renaiming these folders to different numbers, and any new files will be be created in a new "1" folder the system will make.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Oct 29 2013 9:48 AM In reply to

Hi Kevin,

Apologies for the confusion - posting while trying to edit..!

The full paths are:  

External Hard Drive / Avid Media Files / MXF / 1

External Hard Drive / Avid Media Files / MXF / 2

External Hard Drive / Avid Media Files / MXF / 3

So there are currently three different folders holding media folders, numbered 1 to 3 - they all have database files, which I have also deleted and re - scanned on several occassions - the folder MXF / 3 currently holds the Creating folder

Hope that clarifies - any thoughts...?

Tb

• Tue, Oct 29 2013 11:13 AM In reply to

That would imply folders 1 & 2 are now filled to Avids working capacity and media creation has moved to folder 3 (which should work just fine)

You coudl rename folder 1 to folder 10 and then see what happens. Avid should make a new empty folder 1 and create media in there.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

Filed under:
  • Tue, Oct 29 2013 1:53 PM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 17 2011
    • Posts 121
    • Points 1,410

You don't have Spotlight indexing the drive or Time Machine running do you?

Media Composer 2023.8 Ventura 13.6 iMac19,1 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller