Latest post Mon, Jul 29 2013 4:59 AM by mjolnarn. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 22 2013 5:57 AM

• Steve Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 12 2013
    • Goleta, CA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 165

Relink vs Reimport?

This must be a dumb question because I couldn't find any other threads about this.  But here goes:

So I've read almost 500 pages of the MC7 editing manual and I don't understand what the difference between reimporiting files and relinking files is.  The manual (on page 318):

"If you are working with master clips or sequences that contain imported material, you can use the
    Batch Import command to reimport the imported files. For example, you might want to do the
    following:
    • Upgrade the video resolution of the imported files to an online resolution for distribution."

Okay, makes sense.

However, I thought that, after editing an "offline" sequence using, say, DNxHD 36 material, I could change that sequence to an "online" sequence by RELINKING the sequence to the orginal source material. 

Can you help clear this up for me?  Any help is much appreciated.

Favorite film:  2001: A Space Odyssey

• Mon, Jul 22 2013 6:37 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

Re: Relink vs Reimport?

Hi Steve, there are no dumb questions, only questions.

As you say yourself you have read about 500 pages, this is so complex and have so many variables that the answer might be as long so could you maybe be specific to your wanted workflow - what cams that are used and also the version of Avid for which you are searching for workflows.

A very short summary is

Ama in - possibilities to relink later on

File import in - possibilities to batch import later on.

Tape in - possibilities to batch capture later on

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Jul 22 2013 7:02 PM In reply to

• Steve Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • Goleta, CA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 165

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I'm trying to figure out the best workflow for shooting prores material, converting to dnx 36 for the edit, then moving back to the original prores media for exporting for the web.

I recently found this workflow tutorial:

https://vimeo.com/42262022

It's about using DSLR media, but I guess it could apply to prores media too.  Can you tell me if the workflow outlined in that video is the best method?  For example, after he transcodes his DSLR clips to dnx36, I don't understand why he "relinks" the AMA clips to the newly transcoded media when MC already put those transcoded clips in the bin with the ".new" extension.  Am I supposed to leave the ".new" clips alone and never edit them?  What do I do with them?

Also in the video, when he transcodes the finished sequence with the native camera media to DNX175 for finishing, does he do so because color correction is much faster/easier with dnx material vs native material?

I actually asked about using prores media on these forums before, but now I'm worried that my machine can't edit the prores422 HQ media smoothly, so understanding the best offline/online worflow (prores > dnx36 > prores) will be very helpful.

One last question, after I relink the dnx36 material back to the prores media, can I skip the step of transcoding to dnx175 since MC7 now supports prores natively? (and would offer sufficient performance for color grading)

Thanks!

• Mon, Jul 22 2013 7:33 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

Steve Lewis:

I don't understand why he "relinks" the AMA clips to the newly transcoded media when MC already put those transcoded clips in the bin with the ".new" extension. 

Not me either and, with all the respect to the publisher I´m not going to watch it.

This is how I should do it using MC7 with reservations to ( possible) bugs.

Ama link your Prores media and place all clips, or the wanted ones, you might want to do a rough cut, on a sequense.

Copy and move ( alt dragging will do that ) that sequense to a new fresh bin.

Transcode ( Dnx 36 ? ) that sequense, with Avid 7 you can do that in the background.

Wait for the transcode process to finish, you can continue edit on that origin sequense meanwhile maybe doing some light trims and cuts.

When the transcode is finished you now have two choices, if you have edited that origin sequense whilst you have background transcoded, highlight that origin sequense together with the just transcoded clips, they should all be in the same bin so this is an easy procedure, and, in the relink box just checkmark " link selected "

A sequense named relinked should now show up in the bin and that sequense should only have your just created transcoded clips ( clip text - media resolution checkmarked ) in that lower left hamburger will give you info about the clips on the sequense.

The second choice, if you haven´t done any edits whilst transcoding, is to just use the transcoded sequense, no relinking necessary.

After finished editing, repeat the steps I described above / first choice but this time with moving a copy of the ready edited sequense to the bin with the origin ama linked clips, highlight all and then use the relink command ( relink selected )

Easy .... and a new sequense should have been created with the add relinked.

Copy - move that sequense to a new bin ( my own name is " seq" ) and rename it after your choice to get rid of all these extra ( copy , trans , relink or whatever )

As this sequense now contains only Prores media a consolidation of this sequense ( right mouse clip - command above transcode ) will now bring those files inside Avids own media management ( this is the old workflow, I´m not yet quite sure if I trust the new ama workflow )

Render to this same Prores codec.

Export out that sequense using export settings " same as source " to just copy all the renders into a quicktime file using the same codec.

Hope I haven´t missed that much, late evening in Sweden Smile

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Jul 28 2013 12:32 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

Hi Steve, just curious if this got you up and running.

Tomas 

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 2:48 AM In reply to

• Steve Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • Goleta, CA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 165

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for that previous post.

It seems like those methods require me to already have a sequence of clips.  Is there a way I can just transcode the ama clips without putting them all in a sequence, then edit the dnxhd 36 clips, and then relink that sequence to the ama media for final export? 

Also, will any color correction I apply to the dnx media be applied properly to the original source media after I relink?

Thanks

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 4:59 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

Steve Lewis:

Is there a way I can just transcode the ama clips without putting them all in a sequence

Yes, of course, you can alt drag to a new bin to get copies to transcode and then delete those copies after doing that or transcode in the same bin and sort afterwards.

Adding them all to a sequense will take less than a sec however.

Steve Lewis:

Also, will any color correction I apply to the dnx media be applied properly to the original source media after I relink?

Effects are tied to sequenses and not clips if that is what you are asking

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller