Latest post Sat, Nov 1 2014 7:30 PM by carlmart. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 12 2013 2:22 AM

• Steve Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 12 2013
    • Goleta, CA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 165

MC 7 Prores / quicktime workflow

I just switched to MC 7 coming over from Premiere Pro. I will be shooting Prores files with the Blackmagic Pocket camera and h.264s with a Canon DSLR camera.

From watching a Creative Cow MC tutorial I gathered that.....

A) there are two ways of importing: traditional and "AMA" linking
    B) traditional means that you make a DNX (transcoded) version of the original media and it gets added to the project (this takes time)
    C) AMA linking means the original media is simply linked to or "pointed to" and no transcoding is done. That "link" to the media is added to the MC project and you treat it like a clip

Am I on track so far?

My question is: What is the best way to get my prores/h.264 media into MC7?  Does ver. 7 of MC have improved prores support?

Does performance suffer when using AMA linked clips vs clips that were imported the traditional way?

Also, can you combine different codecs into the same timeline when using AMA linking?

Thanks for any help!  I am a total beginner with Avid software.

Favorite film:  2001: A Space Odyssey

• Fri, Jul 12 2013 10:53 PM In reply to

• Reanimated
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 16 2006
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,450

Re: MC 7 Prores / quicktime workflow

the best way is to AMA link. The problem is thet there seems to be a problem with prores in MC7 (might only be on windows). I just tried to import one clip.. it didn't work and have heard other saying the same thing....

the performance suffers when AMAing but it's much better since 7.

If it gets slow you can transcode to a better codec. AMAing and transcode is usually much quicker than importing.

Yes, you can combine different codecs on the same timeline

Henrik

Win8 64bit, SSD systemdrives - MC 8 + Symphony option, Nitris DX, i7 3930K (GA-X79-UD7), 16GB, Quadro 2000 - Symphony 6.0.3, DeckLink Studio, HP Z400... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 13 2013 6:11 AM In reply to

There's a third option, which I'd prefer. AMA-link to ProRes files, then Consolidate the clips. This will preserve the ProRes codec, with no quality loss, and will copy the ProRes video from the QT container into an MXF container and place that in the Avid MediaFiles folder.

This AMA-then-Consolidate process only works with codecs that are native to MC. For H264 you could AMA-link, then Transcode (to DNxHD or even ProRes).

You can mix codecs and formats in a timeline, but if you have everything in the same codec, you can do Same As Source QT exports much, much faster.

AMA seems to have been severely updated, but my preference so far has been to only use AMA-linked sources for stuff you won't be using for more tgan a day or so. Anything you need to work on for a longer period, I'd reccommend consolidating (for native codecs) or transcoding (for foreign codecs) AMA-linked clips so that you end up with 'traditional' Avid MXF MediaFiles. 

MC7 allows you to do these transcodes and consolidations in the background.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 13 2013 10:40 AM In reply to

• othila
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 29 2011
    • Posts 206
    • Points 2,550

Hi Job,

I have never really understood the consolidate function and the MXF container. What DNxHD bit rate is this selection when you consolidate.  I'm on 5.5.2. 

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Matrox MX02 on MacPro4,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, Memory: 16 GB, OS 10.8.5, NVIDIA Quadro 4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 13 2013 11:52 AM In reply to

Consolidate* does not change the source's codec, but copies it. So it does not change to DNxHD (which is a codec), but rather copies the actual data from the source file into an Avid media file (MXF Open Atom, a container).

So if you AMA-link to a ProRes HQ QT source file, then consolidate, the resulting clip will still be in ProRes HQ, but it will now live in /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 (or another number).

Again, you can only consolidate sources that are already in codecs that are native to MC. ProRes, DNxHD, JPEG2K, AVC-Intra etc are all native to MC. H264 for example is not. So these non-native sources will require a transcode to a native codec in order for them to be stored in /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1.

However: ProRes became a native resolution in v6 and a fully sample mapped one in 6.5. So in your (Othila's) 5.x it won't work. You would need to transcode to some flavor of DNxHD if you want the media to live inside MXF containers in the Avid MediaFiles folder.

*: This refers to consolidating master clips or subclips or synced clips. Consolidating sequences will copy all parts of all elements used in that sequence, with user definable handles.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 13 2013 4:53 PM In reply to

• Steve Lewis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 12 2013
    • Goleta, CA
    • Posts 9
    • Points 165

Thanks Job,

This really helped clear things up! 

Will there be any noticable difference in performance if do the AMA link to Prores > Consolidate option?  (vs. transcoding prores > dnxhd)

Also, will this AMA/Consollidate option actually make a duplicate copy of the media in the Avid Mediafiles folder, thereby taking up double the disk space? (I guess I could just remove the original prores media off the drive after consolidating?)

Favorite film:  2001: A Space Odyssey

• Sat, Jul 13 2013 4:57 PM In reply to

Yes, AMA-Consolidate will take up twice the disk space.

With ProRes being a native codec (on Mac, less so on PC), I'd expect no difference between using MXF-DNxHD versus MXF-ProRes at comparable data rates.

• Sat, Jul 13 2013 11:42 PM In reply to

• othila
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 29 2011
    • Posts 206
    • Points 2,550

Thanks for that info Job.

Cheers

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Matrox MX02 on MacPro4,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, Memory: 16 GB, OS 10.8.5, NVIDIA Quadro 4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 1 2014 7:30 PM In reply to

• carlmart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 4 2007
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,430

What I'm considering might be different version of what you all are talking here, also in MC7 and partily involving ProRes files. 

I am on a job that was mostly shot in HDV with a Sony Z1 camera. It was all shot in 50, 1080p. At the time I bought this camera and started this project (2007), HDV was the top HD affordable format.I shot a lot of material in 2007 and started again last year, shooting some more stuff in 1080p 50i.

When I started this editing I was using MC 6.5.2..

This year I bought a BM Pocket camera, planning to make it my A camera for wide shots, shooting in 1080p 25P, and using the Z1 for close ups in 1080p 50i.

Next month I will be shooting a lot more stuff with this arrangement, and the idea was to make the BM Pocket stuff the better quality reference, trying to make the HDV material look as close as possible to the POcket one.

Questions:

1) Is this combination possible, even if shooting 25p and 50i?

2) Should I start a new project, where the Pocket material sets the codec reference or that is not so important?

3) What part does DaVinci Resolve play in this project and when should it be used?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller