Latest post Mon, Mar 4 2013 4:25 PM by mmullen. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 11 2013 2:40 PM

• Tom Nelson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 11 2013
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

Digital noise glitch during effects clips

Hello all - thanks in advance for the help.

We've been trying to resolve an issue here in the office - after rendering effects, we've been getting random glitches during clips with effects - many happen during dissolves, as well as color corrected clips.  I've included a frame grab that illustrates the problem. 

I've cleared the renders from beginning to end of my sequence and re-rendered in to out, and I get the same issue but in different spots.  Our workaround is to mixdown video tracks , clear renders, and re-render in trouble spots, but it's obviously time-consuming and backwards.

We're running Avic MC 6.0.1.1 on an HP Z400, and the media is all stored on a fiber-networked Facilis Terrablock. 

-Tom Nelson

• Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:08 PM In reply to

• AntCaladine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2007
    • Stourbridge, UK
    • Posts 390
    • Points 5,000

Re: Digital noise glitch during effects clips

im not sure if it will fix your issue, but I've had a similar issue when everything looked fine in avid, but the resulting wmv files contained digital glitches like this in some shots. I managed to fix it, by applying the safe colour limiter, rendering and re exporting. Try it and see if it helps.

2x HP Z8 G4, 96GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB AMC 2020.12 1x HP Z820 16GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro 4000 AMC 2020.12 2x Aja... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:31 PM In reply to

• Tom Nelson
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

If I can get everything to look fine in Avid, the Export is fine.  When you applied the safe color limiter, Avid created new render clips and replaced the original clips that had the glitches in them.  I'm doing a similar workaround where I'm clearing the renders, re-rendering, and making a mixdown.  Then, I clear the renders again, re-render again, and create another mixdown.  Since the glitches are random, I can get a good sequence between the two mixdowns.  Fortunately my sequence is only 3 min - if it was longer, this would be even more time-consuming.  Has anyone else had this problem?

• Fri, Feb 15 2013 8:06 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,645

Tom,

Are you still having these issues?

Do you have any ethernet clients?  Do they display the same issues if you do?

-Matt M.

• Fri, Feb 15 2013 8:17 PM In reply to

• Tom Nelson
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

I am still having the issues - it was recommended I upgrade Avid, which I did, and it did not fix.  We do not have any ethernet clients, only Fibre.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to connect a machine with ethernet.

• Fri, Feb 15 2013 8:18 PM In reply to

This may be helpful or maybe not.

When we got our first fibre storage setup for our the classic Symphony we baulked at the price Avid wanted for the fibre copper cabling. So purchased some cheaper ones.

All seemed well until we had random digital noise issues.

Moving media to local storage alwasy solved the problem. We eventually decided the cabling was the only factor so replaced it with the Avid stuff and the problem never came back.

What this indicated was that erros being introduced in the fibre cable run weren't showing up as errors in the stream being reported to us or the OS.

So that could still be the case nowadays. I'd try some local storage and copy section of media over and see how that performs.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 8:28 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,645

If you delete the renders and re-render the same clips does it happen on the same frames, or deos it move around.

It's worth trying ethernet if you have the ability, a new volume, and if you have a maintenance period powering down the draining the power from teh terrablock.

What version of Facilis software are you running, just curious?

-Matt M.

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:32 PM In reply to

• Tom Nelson
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

We are still having the same problem - if I delete the render and re-render it happens on different clips - if I clear the renders and re-render on the local hard drive, it still happens.  We even went as far as using the Media Tool to delete all of the pre-computes for my sequence - still no luck.  We power-cycled the Terrablock already and it did not solve.  We're running version 5.7.0 of Manager.

As for the fibre channel, if that was the case, it would not happen locally.  

This is the most super-frustrating thing I've ever dealt with within Avid.  Ever. 

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 5:09 PM In reply to

Tom Nelson:

As for the fibre channel, if that was the case, it would not happen locally.  

Have you actually move source media to local storage and tried that (none of your earlier posts mention testing with local media not connected via fibre)

Have you disabled your GPU card and tried it with software rendering instead. Video display under OpenGL hardware.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, Feb 21 2013 5:23 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,645

Tom,

When you have a maintenance period can you power down the Terrablock. Remove teh powere cables and drain the power.

Boot it back up and let me knwo if that helps.

-Matt M.

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 6:26 PM In reply to

• Tom Nelson
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

We've been troubleshooting this all day.  We didn't transcode any source footage to a local drive, but should have earlier apparently, because I exported identical QT clips from Avid to the Facilis drive, and another to the desktop.  Sorenson Squeeze was able to compress the desktop video with no problems, but encountered additional glitches when trying to transcode the file from the Facilis drive.  Looks to be my connection to the Facilis.  Could be the fiber cable, could be the configuration.  We're a step closer, folks.  Thanks for all the help.

• Mon, Mar 4 2013 4:25 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,645

Hi Tom, Any update?

-Matt M.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller