Latest post Thu, Jan 31 2013 4:48 PM by aennaraema. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 28 2013 3:40 PM

Any ideas for a good structure of a huuuge project?

Hi, i need your swarm intelligence!

I have a project which contains over 500 hours of footage. It's a bit messy and only I know where to find specific clips. But if I get run over by a car or something it will be hard for anyone else to find specific footage.

Any ideas how I can structure the footage? I thought of like a structure by topics, but still there would be a huuge amount of footage. Should I work with the "find"-option and tag sequences? Or make subclips? Maybe there is a smart way which I don't know.

So far I have it sorted by shooting days and I have some sequences for important topics...

The project will maybe never be archived, the material should always be accessable in Avid. So it's like a footage archive in Avid.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Aen

annewoehlert.de

• Mon, Jan 28 2013 5:49 PM In reply to

Re: Any ideas for a good structure of a huuuge project?

It would help us to help you if you would provide a capsulized narrative description of the nature of the subject of your story, and at least some of the specific topics involved. First question that comes to mind, did you shoot scenes and takes with slates? Or is this to be documentary style, with lots and lots of B roll to marry to a script? The more detail you can give us about your objective and your target audience, the more likely it is that we can give you good suggestions.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 29 2013 3:39 PM In reply to

Hey Larry, of course!

So, it was for a documentary which is already edited. But I have loads of exclusive material which I want to keep accessable in Avid. We shot in at least 10 different countries and we have like 20 big topics.

While editing I had the rushes and one sequence per shoot with all in it in one bin, then folders for assembly edits by topic where I kept the rushes-sequences (a copy) plus a "clean" sequence with only the usable material (another shortened copy of the rushes-sequence). And for some bigger topics I even sorted by sub-topics. I don't know if its understandable...?!?

For example, lets say we shot a circus (we didn't). So I have a bin for each shooting day including the rushes (clips) and a sequence with all the clips in it. Lets call it "Circus_130129". Then I have a folder called "Assembly Edits" and then theres a bin "Circus_January_2013" and in this bin you find duplicates of all sequences (made out of the rushes) from january plus for every sequence another one called in this case "Circus_130129_shortened". So while editing I don't have to look at aaaaaaall the footage. But because in a circus you have different attractions I also have bins called "Elephants" or "Juggler" or "Popcorn" or "Children" in which I should find every appearance of them. But still, in my case I have like 20 hours of elephants or juggler, ...

My target "audience" in this case is not really an audience. I am not really editing with this anymore, but sometimes we need some shots from these 500hours for other things and I need a way to organize the project so that every editor which knows how to use Avid can easily find specific shots.

My idea was to tag subclips or shots or something...

Plus: There's no time pressure, I just want to make it only one time and then right.

Do you know the data management tools Avid offers? I never had so much footage to organize, so I never faced this problem...

Bests and thanks, Aen

annewoehlert.de

• Wed, Jan 30 2013 4:48 PM In reply to

• Chris Medico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 24 2006
    • Central NC
    • Posts 375
    • Points 4,700

Yes, you can use the metadata abilities to enter any descriptive info you like then search for it later.

Check out this to get an idea of what you can do with metadata in Media Composer - http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/part-1-making-metadata-work-for-you%E2%80%94creating-custom-columns-in-avid-media-composer/

Primary: Intel i7-3930k @ 4.2ghz, 16gig RAM, Nvidia GTS250, Windows-7 64bit, MC 6.0.3 System 2: Intel i7-920 @ 3.2ghz, 12 Gig Ram, nVidia GTX670... [view my complete system specs]

I've not opened Liquid since early 2011. I miss the old girl but life is change.

• Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:01 PM In reply to

yeeeeeey! That's exactly what I need! Thanks a lot! Let's clean up this mess! :)

annewoehlert.de

• Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:51 PM In reply to

• Chris Medico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Central NC
    • Posts 375
    • Points 4,700

I personally keep my footage physically organized by project/date_shot then use metadata to group like things together in virtual groups.

Be sure to report back here once you have a handle on it and let us know how it went. Any insight you gleam from the process can help the rest of us.

Primary: Intel i7-3930k @ 4.2ghz, 16gig RAM, Nvidia GTS250, Windows-7 64bit, MC 6.0.3 System 2: Intel i7-920 @ 3.2ghz, 12 Gig Ram, nVidia GTX670... [view my complete system specs]

I've not opened Liquid since early 2011. I miss the old girl but life is change.

• Thu, Jan 31 2013 10:42 AM In reply to

What do you mean by physically and virtual?

I will definetely report back, but of course, since we have over 500 hours of footage it will take a while. Plus: I am only supervising this, someone else has to do this because I am already editing the next huuuuge project! :)

Thanks a lot for your help!

annewoehlert.de

• Thu, Jan 31 2013 11:18 AM In reply to

• Chris Medico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Central NC
    • Posts 375
    • Points 4,700

Physical meaning the file directory structure on the drive. As I shoot a project and the media is being produced I organize it on the drive by date.

Once the metadata is added to the media any search you make creates a collection that is virtural. You aren't physically moving any of the media around.

• Thu, Jan 31 2013 4:48 PM In reply to

Ah yes, of course :)

annewoehlert.de

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller