Latest post Thu, Nov 17 2011 5:11 PM by Torx. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 7 2011 1:39 AM

• brucifer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,225

WORKFLOW - RED - REDCINEX - AVID

Hello again forum pros,

I am having another issue that some of you might be able to shed some light on for me.

Just starting a project and first day of shooting RED files have arrived.

My workflow so far has been:

Open all red files with redcinex - have tried the new beta 3 as well as build 501

these files do not have scene or take information in them - they say there is no time to enter this in the camera.

so scene and take information is entered into the metadata by me.

export avid dnx36 files.

copy mxf files into avid mediafiles folder

in mc 5.0.3.8 open media tool.

move mxf files into new bin.

select all master clips in bin and import ale files and merge this info into the bin.

all works nicely except.

no scene or take info in those columns.

what am i doing wrong here?

I also have imported the red files via ama, and same thing no scene or take.

thanks for any suggestions.

Bruce

OS 10.14.6 (2 x 3.46) GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 5,1 AMD Radeon VII 16GB 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 MC v.2020.5 - DNXIQ Pro Tools v.2019.12 - RME Fireface 400... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 7 2011 2:27 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,585
    • ! Avid Employee
      Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Film and 24p

Re: WORKFLOW - RED - REDCINEX - AVID

Where are you entering this metadata? Is the information in the ALE? If not, then it is an RED feature request to add that as part of the export process.

Michael

24p.com

• Fri, Oct 7 2011 4:33 AM In reply to

I'd just rename the sc/take in MC. That's what I do.

If that info is on the audio file names, you can use that (see the Avid RED workflow video).

MC 6.5.0.3 • Mac Pro 4,1 • OS 10.8.3 • 12GB RAM • GeForce GT 120 • Matrox MXO2 Mini. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 7 2011 4:40 AM In reply to

• brucifer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,225

I was entering it into the metadata window in REDCINE-X.

Thanks for the tip, opening the ale file in textedit reveals no scene or take column.

I will send a note to RED regarding this.

thanks Michael

Bruce

OS 10.14.6 (2 x 3.46) GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 5,1 AMD Radeon VII 16GB 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 MC v.2020.5 - DNXIQ Pro Tools v.2019.12 - RME Fireface 400... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 7 2011 4:44 AM In reply to

• brucifer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,225

Hi Justin,

Yes i've got the sc/tk from the bwf as in the workflow, works nicely!

except for the MOS scenes, which I am now renaming.

thanks

Bruce

• Sun, Oct 9 2011 5:59 AM In reply to

It definately seems like scene and take metadata should come onboard earlier in the process - you'd think RCX would pass it along at least. But it doesn't seem to be the case just yet.

MC 6.5.0.3 • Mac Pro 4,1 • OS 10.8.3 • 12GB RAM • GeForce GT 120 • Matrox MXO2 Mini. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 9 2011 7:03 AM In reply to

You mention dtagging the clips from the media tool into a bin. What happens if ypu frag the AAF's that RCX generates into an Avid bin? Do these have the Sv/Tk metadata you entered? Doe the metadata appear if ypu do an ALE export fro, RCX?
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 9 2011 12:39 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,585
    • ! Avid Employee
      Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Film and 24p

I asked them to test the ALE route and it wasn't there. The MXF only carries the most basic of information; Source and Timecode. The source is placed in the Tape field (unlike AMA that places it in the Source File field). It seems to me that RED needs to add this to the ALE upon export if entered in REDCINE X/Pro.

And just for general information, I heavily recommend that you import the AAF's as a means to get the base metadata first, them merge the ALE if the additional metadata is desired. Just importing the ALE and relinking will not pick up any audio tracks and there have been other reports of metadata missing when added to those clips.The AAF carries the MOB link which is the basis for metadata to essence linking that was created by the Avid Media Toolkit (AMT) which is what REDCINE X?Pro uses when generating MXF/DNxHD.

Michael

24p.com

• Thu, Nov 17 2011 5:11 PM In reply to

• Torx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 30 2011
    • Posts 9
    • Points 85

Hi Bruce,

just did a 31 shooting days job with RED 4K stuff. I first imported the RED RAW Files with R3D Data Management Software to keep the integrity of the RED files. In MC, I created a bin for each working day and did File/ link to AMA volume for each RED Folder on the highest Level. Afterwards I transcoded (overnight) all RED files (in my case in DNXHD 36) for editing (Mark all yellowish RED/ AMA linked files in the respective bin and chose Transcode and DNXHDxx and the target volume). I didn't need RED CineX but for identifying badly viewable markers. Afterwards I synced the sound to the created DNXHD material and changed the names of the DNXHD, the sound files and the sync clips to to the marker names. That's it, best regards, Bernd

MC 2018.12.15, MacBook Pro 2015, 2,5 GHZ Intel Core i7, 16 GB, SSD, OS 10.14.6, Radeon R9 M370X, Aja IO Express [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller