Latest post Wed, Feb 13 2013 4:02 PM by Marianna. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 30 2011 1:14 AM

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 56
    • Points 760

Feature Request: colapse a sequence into a "master multi-clip"

As a reaiity TV editor, I am often given footage that does not have locked timecode, so in order to create my multi-clips I first stack all my footage in a single master timeline representing all the day's footage (usually A-Cam on V1, B-Cam on V2, etc.), sync the clips acordingly and then I have to make individual multi-clips for everytime a new clip starts.

What would be AWESOME, is if I could just colapse the sequence that I stacked and synced all my clips on into a "master multi-clip" so that V1 became angle 1, V2 became angle 2, etc. This would save a lot of time.

Currently, I feel that I'm not always sure what angle a given clip will become when grouped with other clips. This new method would make it easier to organize your shots so that, for example, wide shots are always angle 1, close ups are angle 2, etc.

Whenever a clip finished, that angle would simply go black until a new clip started on the video layer.    Also the ability to then sub-clip out from the master multi-clip would be very useful.  Lastly, the ability to then "go into" a master-multi-clip so that it could easily be edited could be very powerful.

I have no idea how difficult this would be to pull off technically, but I'm sure there are many, many editors (and assistant editors) out there who could use this feature.

Thanks for listening!

Brian

Mac Pro, 12-core Westmere, 2.66 GHz, 16GB, 4.5TB RAID, OSX Lion 7.2, Media Composer 5.5.3, 27" LED Cinema Display, Matrox Mini 02, 20" JVC Broadcast... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 30 2011 5:32 AM In reply to

Re: Feature Request: colapse a sequence into a "master multi-clip"

I'm sure you know what you're talking about and are a much more expeienced editor than I am. So to be honest, I really can't follow very well what you're saying.

It could be quite clear to people w/ more experience than myself, of which there are many. But if not, I think a few screen grabs of what you're doing would be helpful. Just a suggestion.

BTW, I've learned today a very GREAT way to attach image files. Click on the Options tab near the top of the post you're composing and press the Add/Update button.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Jul 30 2011 7:24 PM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 56
    • Points 760

Unfortunately I can't post a picture for confidential reasons for the show.  However, I think I can explain more clearly.  Imagine you have three cameras shooting through out the course of the day.  For the most part they are shooting the same thing, but from multiple angles.  Naturally, you would want to take these clips and group them together for editing purposes.  If all the clips have the exact same timecode then this is very easy to accomplish currecntly.  Often, they only have time-of-day timecode and are not frame accurate.

The way the assistant editor will usually deal with this is to first create a sequence with timecode that represents the full day of shooting and then place the clips on the timeline in accordance with tthe ime-of-day timecode of the various clips. Clips that have over lapping timecode are stacked on top of eachother on the timeline.  Usually, the clips that are stacked on top of eachother are footage of the same subject, just shot from differenct angles; in other words, footage that should be grouped together.

As I wrote earlier, the timecode is not perfect, so the assistant editor next has to maually adjust the clips that are stacked on top of each other so that they are in sync.  Then to make them "groupable," a common in-point is assigned to each clip so that they can be grouped by in-point.  The downside to the method is that is it not only very time consuming as an in point needs to be manually assigned to each clip, but a new group must be made for every time a new clip begins within the stack.  For example, cameras A and C run for 40 minutes without interruption, but camera B stop and starts six times.  That means you will need 6 grouped clips for that 40 minutes of coverage.

My feature request would allow you to simply convert the giant timeline you used to stack and sync your footage into a giant Master Group.

All the footage from a typical reality show for a day's worth of shooting often involves the creation of dozens of grouped clips being made.  Compile that on top of the many days that go into shooting a show, you then have hundreds, if not thousands of grouped clips to manage.  With my method, you'd have the option to make as little (only 1) or as many grouped clips for a given set of footage.  Also, by designing the feature so that footage from V1, becomes angle 1 and V2 becomes angle 2, etc. you can easily and intuively control how your grouped footage is organized.

If anyone from Avid is listening, I live very close to your office in Burbank and would be happy to come by and discuss this in person.

I hope this answers your questions.

Brian

Mac Pro, 12-core Westmere, 2.66 GHz, 16GB, 4.5TB RAID, OSX Lion 7.2, Media Composer 5.5.3, 27" LED Cinema Display, Matrox Mini 02, 20" JVC Broadcast... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 30 2011 7:39 PM In reply to

Brian:

How about a screen grab of just your timeline, nothing else and no text details on the clips?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 31 2011 12:46 AM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 56
    • Points 760

I'll see what I can do on Monday.  However, I will warn you, my current show is on FCP but the exact same principal applies. (I'd suggest a similar feature to Apple but I'm not exactly enthusiastic about their professional future right now.)

Thanks for listening!

Brian

• Sun, Jul 31 2011 12:53 AM In reply to

I'm thinking along these lines:

Add a blank video filler track above your highest current track and put a sub-master effect on that filler layer. You may or may not have to place "add edits" at the head and tail of the filler track to apply the effect. Then mark the entire sequence with all layers active and use the "collapse" function. See if that does what you're looking for.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 31 2011 2:39 AM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,040
    • Points 12,945

Something similar was requested in this thread

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/23428.aspx

Media Composer Nitris DX 2018.8 with Symphony option Win10 64Gb Ram * Media Composer 8.8 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 31 2011 2:07 PM In reply to

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 1 2011 11:15 PM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 56
    • Points 760

Hello,

Here are examples of a set of footage that has been stacked then grouped.  The timeline on top shows an entire's day footage for a show shooting with five cameras that had time of day timecode.  The bottom picture shows the same timeline after the footage was grouped.

My concept would be to simply collapse the top timeline into a giant Master Group for multi-cam editing.  I apologize again for this being a FCP timeline, but it's the only example I have right now.  FCP or Avid, the same principal applies.

Thank you again for interest.

Brian

• Mon, Aug 1 2011 11:29 PM In reply to

Brian:

In Avid, if you were to mark in and out in any given group on the top timeline, creating a region equivalent to the longest clip (or longest two clips) of a given group, thereby defining the outer limits of each group, then use the collapse function, you will wind up with a single sub-master layer that will contain all tracks in a given group. You can always step into that sub-master to work with individual tracks underneath, or you can double click the sub-master, and have the nested layers appear over top of the sub-master.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Aug 3 2011 1:01 AM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 56
    • Points 760

Larry,

Thank you for the response, but if I'm understanding you correctly, you still wouldn't be able to see the all the footage in your source window in a 4 or 9-way split like you can with grouped clips.  The primary purpose of this feature request (the abilty to convert a sequence into a grouped clip) is to create a faster and more intuive way of creating grouped clips that don't have jam-synced timecode.

Reality TV editors and assistant editors around the world would rejoice if this was possible.

Best,

Brian

• Thu, Nov 22 2012 3:53 AM In reply to

• Anthony
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 21 2010
    • Sydney
    • Posts 43
    • Points 580

I totaly endorse this feature request! I too work in reality TV and currently my biggest issue is GROUPING massive timelines of a series of broken clips in complicated Grouped clips and to be laid back into the sequence. Basically, if I could "collapse" all the Video and Audio tracks on the timeline into a "Grouped Clip" it would save me hours and hours of wasted time due to cameramen neglegence.

Avid please listen to this request. Here is an example Timeline I've just been given to create grouped clips. This is for the second half of the segment and yes, that timeline IS in TOD meaning it's just shy of 13 hours long.

Sorry, you will have to right click and go "view image in tab/new browser" to see the full image as it is cropped off here.Timeline

Mac OS 10.6.4 | MacMini: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NIVIDA Gefore 9400 256MB graphics card, 500gb HD | Media Composer 6.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 8 2013 9:33 PM In reply to

• Eddie S
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 8 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

This would save me DAYS of work. Brilliant request.

• Sat, Feb 9 2013 2:50 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

• Sat, Feb 9 2013 4:35 PM In reply to

I have requested this, and even spoke to some engineers about it last year.  The biggest issue I've had is to make this feature request somehow seem smaller, essentially building blocks that make it easy for Avid to implement. 

In my opinion:

Step 1: Avid needs a feature to automatically apply the sequence timecode to all clips contained within, perhaps to AUX1 to each clip.  Now, at least all our clips have a common timecode -- which problem #1 above all.  This option may not be necessary for my Step #2 request, but I think it's a good feature to have regardless...

Step 2: Allowing grouping of SEQUENCES.  Imagine we create separate sequences of V1, V2, V3, etc, of a multicamera sequence.  We should now be able to select each sequence (assuming they all just have 1 video track), and group them, treating each sequences as 1 camera angle.  This could essentially already be done if we made a video mixdown of each angle and then groupped togther, but since mixdowns don't "link back" to their sources, it is not a smart idea.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller