Latest post Sun, Jul 10 2011 10:35 PM by Dennis. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 10 2011 6:23 PM

• Dennis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 10 2011
    • Houston
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70

Video capture on iMac

My Macpro crashed and I replaced it with a 27" iMac and upgraded to MC 5.5. On my Macpro I capture video from my DVcamera via firewire (or Mojo connected by firewire) to external drives also connected by firewire. There is only one firewire port on the iMac. How do I capture footage to an external drive? I don't want to have to capture to the internal drives and the copy toi the external drives.

27" iMac | OS X 10.11.6 | 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 | AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB | Media Composer 8.9.3 | ProTools 12.7.1.733 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 10 2011 6:33 PM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 20 2006
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

Re: Video capture on iMac

You can daisy chain through the External drive. So you need a hard drive that has both FW800 and FW400 ports. Connect the camera to the external drive and the external drive to the imac.

Avid MC 6.5.2.1 with 27"iMac 2.8GHz Intel i7 OSX 10.8.3, 12GB memory, ATi Radeon HD 4850, Caldigit Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 10 2011 8:46 PM In reply to

We found we got flakey results when using daisy chained firewire (we have 4 iMacs) and eventually solved it by hooking the drives up via USB2.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sun, Jul 10 2011 8:49 PM In reply to

Sadly, neither option is practical.  Dasiy-chaining FW drives, or, USB2 for storage both have limitations.  Personally, I wouldn't choose a system for editing that had limited connectivty options.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 9:53 PM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

As I said I use the daisy chain to capture footage, XDCAM HD material in my case. I do not use daisy chained drives for storage but one large fast FW800 drive for editing. I backup media and project files to another drive (which is daisy chained). This has been a practical solution for a file based system. I have edited commercials for broadcast and documentaries for broadcast with this setup.

Randall, no one ask you what you would choose. I was trying to help a user that already has a system (that is qualified by Avid) in how to capture footage to his system. I agree that if you edit every day all day in front of clients, then this setup would not be ideal. However I don't see how your comments help at all.

Avid MC 6.5.2.1 with 27"iMac 2.8GHz Intel i7 OSX 10.8.3, 12GB memory, ATi Radeon HD 4850, Caldigit Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 10 2011 9:58 PM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

Pat Horridge:

We found we got flakey results when using daisy chained firewire (we have 4 iMacs) and eventually solved it by hooking the drives up via USB2.

I only use the camera input with firewire as a way to import material. DV material should give few if any problems capturing material this way. I have evern captured HDV material in this manner although I would not recommend because of the unstable nature of HDV timeecode.

I would recommend to only use one drive for media storage. I have found that FW800 works as long as you are not having to edit HD in mutlitracks or doing heavy effects work. USB is worthless.

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 10:02 PM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

gifford, for DV material you should be fine with a FW 800 drive. If you get into HD and have a New iMac you might want to look into one of the new Thunderbolt drives that are coming out.

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 10:05 PM In reply to

"... However I don't see how your comments help at all ..."

Because the forum, and it's content, is a living document.  Someone considering a system with limited connectivity might be interested in what works and what doesn't.  I'm an engineer by trade, and my responses here are typically engineering-centric.

".. no one ask you what you would choose ..."

On the contrary, many have expressed interest in my 17+ years of experience with Avid, especially from a technical perspective.  I respect your right to not be interested.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 10:35 PM In reply to

• Dennis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 10 2011
    • Houston
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70

Thanks for the responses. I have been out of production for the last 7 years. My editing these days is just for personal use and occasional free-lance work so I don't want to spend anymore than I have to.

27" iMac | OS X 10.11.6 | 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 | AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB | Media Composer 8.9.3 | ProTools 12.7.1.733 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller