Latest post Tue, Jun 15 2010 4:24 AM by MondoNo5. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 12 2010 7:07 AM

• lcizatt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 9 2010
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,575

DV AVI file import to MC5

Okay, looks like I've got a problem. In the past I captured all my video from miniDV using Scenalyzer Live. Now I have terabytes of DV AVI files that look like I will not be able to "link" to in MC5 as I could with Liquid. It appears everything will have to be imported/converted rather than native editing if I want to work on it from MC5. Am I reading this right or is there some secret incantation I haven't found yet that will let me quickly import AVI files? (Oh please, please, let there be a way...)

Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Core i7 920, 12G Ram, GeForce GTX 260, Win7 Pro 64 bit. Media Composer 6.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 12 2010 7:33 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

Re: DV AVI file import to MC5

Regretably there is no simple way. Either you have to import the .AVI files or maybe you have to convert it to Quck Tme .MOV and Import it.

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Sat, Jun 12 2010 10:18 AM In reply to

Hi,

lcizatt:
    Am I reading this right or is there some secret incantation I haven't found yet that will let me quickly import AVI files?

Can you open any of the files in Quicktime?  I know they're AVI files, but MC5 has a new feature that allows you to link directly to Quicktime files without importing (the feature is called AMA).  If you could open your AVI files using Quicktime, you might be able to change their file extensions and then open them in MC5 using AMA.

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid importing is what you're going to have to do.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jun 12 2010 3:32 PM In reply to

• lcizatt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,575

Oh no....wo is me! I thought by archiving everything in raw DV format, I'd be safe. I did try renaming and doing the AMA link, but that didn't fly. It takes about 5 minutes to import a 1.5G DV file into MC5. At this rate it will take 85 continuous hours (3.5 days) to convert 1 terabyte of video. This is not good.

Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Core i7 920, 12G Ram, GeForce GTX 260, Win7 Pro 64 bit. Media Composer 6.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 12 2010 4:56 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

IMHO you can convert the raw DV files to Avid Complient QT files which will fast import into MC. YOu can also access the resulting QT through AMA. IMO this will be faster then importing AVI into MC.

• Sun, Jun 13 2010 8:11 AM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 593
    • Points 6,715

if you set up the proper setting for your project, and the right codec for importing your avi's, they will fast import into mc5. 

for ntsc:   30i ntsc - dv25 411mxf    

symphony 2018.12.3 - win 10 pro64 v.1803 - QT essential 7.7.9 - nVidia gtx1080 OC (419.67) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i V2 - MSI... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Sun, Jun 13 2010 8:16 AM In reply to

Fast import also requires that you choose "properly sized" and "601/709".

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 13 2010 8:57 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

Job ter Burg:

Fast import also requires that you choose "properly sized" and "601/709".

Yes

touviere7:
    for ntsc:   30i ntsc - dv25 411mxf 

DV 25 has 2 types of color sub sampling 4:1:1 and 4:2:0

• Sun, Jun 13 2010 3:35 PM In reply to

• B. Kaulfuss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Germany
    • Posts 11
    • Points 195

Jayanta:

Regretably there is no simple way. Either you have to import the .AVI files or maybe you have to convert it to Quck Tme .MOV and Import it.

There is a simple way. On my PC with MC5 i can link native dv-avi files, captured with adobe premiere, without conversion or renaming, with AMA.

Greetings from Germany

Intel I7 930 2.8 GHz, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit 12 Gig Ram, Geoforce 285 GT, System HD 1 Gig, 3-Hard disks Samsung 3,5 TB Raid 5, Asus VW246 HDMI... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 13 2010 6:28 PM In reply to

• MondoNo5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 10 2007
    • Posts 62
    • Points 795

Yes, it is possible to AMA any file (as Avid originally said in marketing material) that opens in QuickTime player, and that includes AVIs.  Open the bin you want the link to appear in, and then right click in an empty space in the bin and select "Link to AMA file" from the context menu.  You will see a file open dialouge box appear, fairly similar to what we were used to when we did an import in Liquid.  I was able to select several AVI files that I previously used in Liquid, including Fused files and captured files from my media folders...even one of the race car clips from the Start-NTSC project!

So far, this is the only way I can get it to see AVIs.  If you go to the File menu and use the "Link to AMA Volume" funtion to open a whole folder, it doesn't seem to work.  Keep in mind the audio will only be linked if you open a fused clip, as Liquid captures everything into two files.

This function should work great for your Scenalyzer Live files.  Good luck!

**UPDATE:  I have been comparing AMA-opened AVI files with Imported AVI files.  One thing I am noticing (my media creation is DV25) is when the AVI files open with AMA it is full raster--there is no normal thin black bar on the top and bottom.  The aspect in the vertical is therefore very slightly different.  I also tried a mixdown of the clip once AMA-linked, but the result is the same--a slight difference in aspect.  I can confirm that blacks however are holding steady.

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170; Intel Core i7 6700; 16GB DDR4 2100; XFX Radeon R390 8GB; Win 10 Education; Avid MC 8.WhateverIsLatest (perpetual); Adobe CS [view my complete system specs]

-Jonathan

Technical Director / Instructor
    Department of Communication
    University of Toledo

Freelance Videographer / Producer / Director

• Sun, Jun 13 2010 7:43 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

B. Kaulfuss:
    There is a simple way. On my PC with MC5 i can link native dv-avi files, captured with adobe premiere, without conversion or renaming, with AMA.

Thanks! got to try it!

• Mon, Jun 14 2010 5:46 AM In reply to

• lcizatt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,575

I don't know what happened to make this work...but now it appears AMA link does the job. I can't make it fail anymore. It started out failing altogether, then it linked but the audio lagged the video, and now it works perfectly! Go figure. The following still shows up in the Console output even though the linking succeeds:

------  AMA Link To File(s)  ------

The movie is not self contained.
    Forcing sample provider mode for video.
    The movie is not self contained.
    Forcing sample provider mode for audio.
    DIDDescriptor::GetAAFProperties() - Unable to map AAF Compression to MC Compression.
    aafConvertAudioCodingToCM() - Unable to map the AAF/MXF audio coding value to a recognized internal audio coding format.  Treating as 'unknown'.
     [ Plugin Name = MVP_MSP_QuickTime Vendor Name = Avid Technology, Inc. Version = 1.0 ] processed G:\miniDV\tape179\tape179-0024.avi

Does anyone else get the above when they link to DV AVI's? Don't know if it's anything to get excited over, but just the same, would be nice to know if anyone is seeing the same thing.

BTW, I am getting more excited and impressed with MC5!!!

• Mon, Jun 14 2010 8:37 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

Not all .AVI that play in QT Player are accessible with AMA, will do more checks.

• Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:51 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Jayanta:

Not all .AVI that play in QT Player are accessible with AMA, will do more checks.

There are type 1 and type 2 of the most common SD ones, Liquid is using a version that differ from Adobe if I recall correct

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Jun 14 2010 1:41 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,255

mjolnarn:
    There are type 1 and type 2 of the most common SD ones, Liquid is using a version that differ from Adobe if I recall correct

I am also wondering about the Edius HQ .AVI ones which is HD .AVI

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller