Latest post Tue, Jun 8 2010 1:53 PM by TVJohn. 58 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 6 2010 7:57 PM In reply to

Re: Pinnacle Crisis

It sounds to me like the one project that won't open is simply corrupt.  I don't know if length has anything to do with it or not, maybe Studio has issue opening projects that are over one hour?  Maybe Studio is more likely to corrupt a project that is over one hour? 

But, in the end it really sounds like something maybe didn't save correctly with that one project and now Studio is just unable to open it.  Of course, I have no experience with Studio at all, but from what you're describing that's my first guess as to what's going on.

If you were on XpressPro or MC, then I would suggest creating a new Project and copying your Bins from your old project into it.  But, it sounds like Studio saves everything into one project file, which can be bad news if something goes wrong with the project. 

I hope someone can chime in and help you.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:05 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 5 2010
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

Thanks Kenton I hope someone can too.

The reason I don't think the project is corrupt is because i played parts of it back several times during it's creation.  Once I moved on to the next project, only then was I unable to get back into it.

Several projects won't open.  Not just this one.

Yup - where in the universe is the Pinnacle experienced editors today :)?

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:08 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

A good guess from me initially that you are using external discs, you don´t happen to accidentally have changed drive letters on them

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:09 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

blkdog - Is there someon I can speak to on the phone tomorrow that can hook me into someone who knows Pinnacle?  That's the reason I contacted the Executive Branch - for a name and a number of a person on the phone.  It's faster, it's easier.  I don't think that should be hard to do.   Until these problems are fixed I'm dead in the water. 

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:09 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:20 PM In reply to

zena:
    I contacted the Executive Branch

You might be confused.  This is not the Executive anything for Avid.  We're just Avid users.  As was pointed out by Randall, some Avid employees peruse and contribute here (such as BLKDOG) but by and large we are just a community of Avid editors.  This forum does not specifically handle anything related to Pinnacle, so that's why you're not finding many of us here with Pinnacle experience.  There are some users here however that were former Liquid Users and they may also have experience with Studio.

zena:
    Is there someon I can speak to on the phone tomorrow that can hook me into someone who knows Pinnacle?

You're now talking about Phone Support.  Which is part of a paid Support Contract.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:21 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Unfortunaltely Zena, support doesn't work that way. Avid does own Pinnacle but they are completely different companies with completely different support structures. I can do my best to hook you up with our Pinnacle experts here that have made the transition and, truthfully, you won't find better, more experienced help than you will from Thomas, Douglas, Scott, etc. Getting them on line on a Sunday might not be easy to do.

If you need help immediately, you really do need to pay for a support incident. Otherwise, they guys here will try to help. When Pinnacle opens on Monday, I'll call to see if I can find someone to help, if that person exists.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:23 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Kenton,

I moved this thread out of the Chat with Avid forums. Zena was mistakenly thinking that that was an active forum where Avid Execs respond.

Zena, Chat with Avid is not an Active response forum. It is a place where we gather thoughts from users about issues that should be addressed at a higher level than technical troubleshooting. Avid Execs, as a whole, do not participate in the user forums actively.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:29 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

Actually I sent my original inquiry to the Executive Branch after not getting a response yesterday.  Someone transferred me over here.  I'm quite clear about that.  I didn't just start here.  This has been most successful in the past.

I don't know why Liquid Users would know anything about Studio but I don't care - someone tried to be helpful but I think if anyone knows of any executive at Avid fine - this is not where I put my inquiry.  if not - I'll call tomorrow.  The inquiry is for a REFERRAL to a Pinnacle experienced editor.  I'm quite clear about that based on what I said.  I've asked that every time.  What is it that I don't know where I can't just get a phone number for a Pinnacle Editor????  I repeat:  saving issues should be able to be solved by Pinnacle help and they have not.  This is not a level for paid support.  Chat line today for some reason is down.  Escalate:  a pinnacle executive who edits.  I've spoken to them before - if no one knows here - cool.  I'm going to enjoy the rest of my day/

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:29 PM In reply to

BLKDOG:
    I moved this thread out of the Chat with Avid forums

Ah, makes sense now.

Maybe "Chat with Avid" is not the best title for that forum?  I believe that has been discussed before as it's caused confusion for other new visitors here.

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:39 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Yep, not a good name. We did have a long thread about this here.

Zena, like I said, by moving this thread here, I've exposed your problem to some of the best Pinnacle editors out there who happen to have moved over to MC. They simply happen to not be on line on a Sunday. If you can be patient, I am confident you will get the help you need. We do not give out customer's contact information as a courtesy to members here. If someone is willing to give you their contact info on their own, that's up to them.

As I said, if you need immediate help past what we can deliver here, you'll need to pay for an incident of support through the Pinnacle support lines. Support doesn't really work on a "this level of problems needs paid support and this level does not". Support is based on giving you insurance against days like you are having today. No, matter what the problem is, if you can't figure it out and you need someone else to help you figure it out immediately, that's paid support.

On the other hand, if you can wait until Monday when folks who can give you the help you need are back in the office, then you might get the free support you need.

Don't know who pointed you to the Chat with Avid forum as a way to reach anyone at Avid but they were mistaken.

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:43 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

Blkdog - Have I spoken to Thomas, Douglas or Scott?  I don't believe so.  If they get on later or tomorrow, I look forward to hearing what they have to say.  Thanks for trying to hook me up with the Pinnacle experts who have made the transition.  I see your point.  Have I spoken to any of them today? 

When Pinnacle opens on Monday, I'll call to see if I can find someone to help, if that person exists

Yeah - 'if that person exists'.  We're on the same page.  If you'd be willing to hook me up with one of your Pinnacle experts on Monday that'd was all I asked.  Someone who 'knows' something.  I am not embarrassed to say it's all over the web how bad Pinnacle phone support is.  I'm not the first one and I won't be the last to suffer that experience.  However I do trust you because of your offer.  That's an answer too.  If you will do that for me, that'd be great - I swear the few people I've spoken to at Pinnacle support have turned me off completely and wasted hours of my time!  I don't think they edit.

Have a great rest of your day - look forward to speaking with you tomorrow!

Thanks, zena

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:50 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Tomas (I keep trying to put an "H" in his name) is "mjolnarn". An excellent contributor to these forums but he has been on MC far longer than most of our Pinnacle converts here. With the recent incentives to upgrade to MC from Liquid, we have a great many users here that have recent Pinnacle experience.

What you need to understand is that Avid has absolutely no Pinnacle Experts to whom I could point you. As I said, we are completely different companies in different geographic locations. What I would need to do is call in some favors from friends that have been on both sides of the fence who may know someone at Pinnacle. I'll monitor this thread to see if that becomes necessary.

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:54 PM In reply to

• Bernd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • De Wijk / The Netherlands
    • Posts 253
    • Points 3,390

Hi,
    I am an experienced Studio user. The problems mentioned by Zena sounds to me as that files are corrupt. I always tell people not to use any external drive for project material as Windows is not always handling drives over USB in a proper way. USB connections can be put in a delay mode when the USB is used for other things. Also delayed writing can end in a corrupted file if the power of external disks is shut down too early.

But also check the Windows file properties and set these to read/write if not already so.

There are many experienced Studio users on the Pinnacle forum (extremely slow at the moment): link
    Go over there Zena, and you will be amazed about the help.

Bernd

MC 5.5.3 | QT 7.6.9 | Win7 Ult 64x | Asus P8Z68-V PRO | Intel i7-2600k | Memory 16GB DDR3 1600MHz | Graphics Card ATI4870x2 2GB | C-drive 128GB SSD CRUCIAL... [view my complete system specs]

Learning by Doing Smile

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:59 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

I know it may seem like salt on a wound, but Studio is very much biased for consumer's use, that is why there is no 24/7 support.

It is very possible that you are the victim of a computer virus that alters permissions for files. I will get back to you shortly..,. 

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

Page 2 of 4 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller