Latest post Tue, Jun 1 2010 9:37 PM by morriss. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 1 2010 10:21 AM

• morriss
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Posts 216
    • Points 2,930

Sync lock video and audio for trimming

Help me out here, because this is frustrating me!

I'm on the MC trial and I am simply trying to trim a load of clips on the timeline, and keep video and audio in sync.  I am in trim mode, both audio tracks are enabled for the video track, and I click on the b side of the clip, for example.  At this point, both audio tracks deselect themselves, and the purple roller only appears on the video clip.

I can select all three by holding shift down and clicking all three, but that seems too laborious for working quickly with a lot of clips.  Looking at the help file, I have tried the sync lock (clicking on the icon for all three tracks) but the audio tracks instantly deselect when I click on the video B side.

I am sure the answer is easy, but as I am using the trial, I have no manual to read!

13" MacBook Pro, Mac Mini (yes it runs OK!) [view my complete system specs]

David M

Still using MC5

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 10:46 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: Sync lock video and audio for trimming

From memory, U key turns on and off trimming and P key selects left side or ingoing clip only, trim with the J K and L buttons , the J K and L trim function might have to be activated firat, not sure.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 10:54 AM In reply to

• morriss
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 216
    • Points 2,930

Thanks - quick reply is great because I am editing at the moment! but P, [ and ] select only the video track.  I want to select the video and audio both without having to shift click all three separately!

David M

Still using MC5

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 11:02 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Look at the gap between the clips, go to full zoom, and check if you have something else in the gap or if the videotrack not is in sync with the audiotrack

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 11:12 AM In reply to

• morriss
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 216
    • Points 2,930

No gaps, and clips are all in sync to begin with.

By the way - if I enter trim mode, the video and audio tracks are selected, but then clickin on the next clip deselects the audio.  But I don't want to exit and enter trim mode for each clip I want to trim Sad

David M

Still using MC5

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 11:15 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

the S key will take you to the next gap whilst the A key will take you to the previous

Tomas 

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 3:22 PM In reply to

morriss:
    I have tried the sync lock (clicking on the icon for all three tracks) but the audio tracks instantly deselect when I click on the video B side.

But have you tried to actually trim with Sync Locks on?  It may deselect the audio tracks, (because you're not trimming those), but if you have Sync turned on, then it should stay in sync.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 3:32 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Exactly and, if you draw a lasso around the transition you want to trim, yoiu'll quickly see if you have grabbed a transition or a segment. If you have a clean transition, ust clicking on the roller (must be the roller, not the segment) will not deactivate the audio channels. It will select the desired side of the transition for trimming.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 7:52 PM In reply to

• morriss
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 216
    • Points 2,930

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it really is a simple thing I am trying to do and I don't know what I am missing or if, having been used to Liquid, there is another way of working with MC.

Kenton: "But have you tried to actually trim with Sync Locks on?  It may deselect the audio tracks, (because you're not trimming those), but if you have Sync turned on, then it should stay in sync."

To reiterate - I want to trim both the video and audio tracks together, with one click and drag.  The question is: do I have to exit and enter trim mode for each separate clip I want to trim?  Or do I have to select all three tracks (video and both audio) which seems a lot of work for one trim?

I am used to the liquid workflow where I would grab a handle of the A or B side of a clip (with the video and audio linked with the 'infinity / chain' symbol, this would trim all three in sync.

David M

Still using MC5

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 8:12 PM In reply to

• morriss
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 216
    • Points 2,930

OK, Ok, I think I have it now...

To trim a clip, lasso the edit, this gets you into trim mode, then to trim B side click on the left screen, to trim A side, right hand screen.  That seems quick and easy enough...

OR

enter trim mode by pressing U on the keyboard (I have just set up a mouse button to do the same for speed)

If I just click on the video track it will only trim that track

Boy it will take a while to get rid of my Liquid habits!!

David M

Still using MC5

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 8:17 PM In reply to

morriss:
    I am used to the liquid workflow where I would grab a handle of the A or B side of a clip (with the video and audio linked with the 'infinity / chain' symbol, this would trim all three in sync.

Ok, now I'm a little clearer on what you're asking.

morriss:
    do I have to exit and enter trim mode for each separate clip I want to trim?

Sort of... but not really.  Let me explain.  

Your audio and video are not "linked" in the same way that they are in FCP/Premiere/Liquid (though I've never used Liquid, I assume I can lump it in to the other NLE grouping based on what you're expecting).  So, in order to do what you want - which is:  make a trim adjustment, move to the next transition, make trim adjustments etc.  In Avid, in simplest terms what is actually happening is that you would activate your tracks (V1, A1, A2) that you want to Trim, Enter Trim mode near the Transition point and make the adjustment.  Then Exit Trim Mode and move to your next point that you want to Trim and re-enter, etc (sounds tedious right?).  However...  there are always more than one way to skin a cat in Avid.  

If you have no tracks selected, hitting Trim mode (mine is mapped to the [ key) will activate all tracks and hit it again and then you will get rollers on all tracks.  Make your adjustments, then you can hit the RW/FF buttons (mine are mapped to A and S keys) and your rollers will advance to the next transition point on your Sequence (and it will stay in Trim mode) with your selections.  However, if you have say a V2 track with cuts along it that don't line up with cuts on V1 & A1, then you can hit ALT+S and it will ignore your track selections.  

By default, A & S are mapped as Go To Previous Edit & Go To Next Edit, respectively.  These are designed to enter Trim mode automatically for you when you advance to the next cut.  Some people don't like that (like me) and so we remap the keys to RW/FF (see Command Palette)

I hope that helps explain it a little better.  The biggest thing I can tell you is to map your keyboard so you don't have to click your mouse so much.  It does become second nature once you get the hang of doing it.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 8:24 PM In reply to

morriss:

OK, Ok, I think I have it now...

To trim a clip, lasso the edit, this gets you into trim mode, then to trim B side click on the left screen, to trim A side, right hand screen.  That seems quick and easy enough...

OR

enter trim mode by pressing U on the keyboard (I have just set up a mouse button to do the same for speed)

If I just click on the video track it will only trim that track

Boy it will take a while to get rid of my Liquid habits!!

Personally I like the first approach. It reminds me a lot Liquid work flow.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 9:37 PM In reply to

• morriss
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 216
    • Points 2,930

Thanks for the advice - I suspected it would be a different way of thinking.  With Liquid I was doing most things with the keyboard - apart from trimming - for speed.  I'm glad that MC is similarly orientated.

David M

Still using MC5

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller