Latest post Thu, Mar 25 2010 6:46 PM by George Angeludis. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:09 PM

• alan wells
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Aberdeen, Scotland
    • Posts 123
    • Points 2,025

Can I set up dual monitors within MC?

Like several who have posted, the 'splash screen' that comes up when I start shows that my copy is 'unregistered' but I am not overly worried as it is probably the 'splash screen' for the trial. My software has been activated - many thanks to 'Blkdog' for his help.

I shouldn't expect too much help from 'the powers that be' (but AVID staffers can chime in, if they wish) because I have an unsupported hardware config, an unsupported operating system, an unsupported graphics card, but then again, I don't anticipate making any competitors to 'The Hurt Locker' in the next year! Liquid was a very forgiving software product in terms of hardware - Media Composer is less so - but I will learn MC and change the hardware when I can.

I have recently bought another monitor to run under my graphics card which is an ATI Raedon HD3800, the plan being to show the S&R screens and the timeline on one monitor, and the various folders opening on the other monitor, but I don't know how? Perhaps it is an ATI Catalyst problem, but has anyone gone through this scenario?

Intel 2.5ghz Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5N32-E, 8gb RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 3400 256mb PCI-E, Seagate 500gb drive, Seagate 160gb drive, Seagate 500gb drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:14 PM In reply to

Re: Can I set up dual monitors within MC?

Alan:

If you have Media Composer installed and two monitors operational, grab the right side of the MC application window and stretch it out to span over to the second monitor. And go into your display settings and NVIDIA card settings and make sure the left monitor is designated as the primary monitor.

{EDIT} Disregard the NVIDIA reference, as currently you don't have the NVIDIA card. This may or may not work with your current ATI card.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:15 PM In reply to

Dual monitors is the typical setup for MC.

1) In Windows/Display Properties, make sure the 2nd monitor is activated.

2) In Media Composer, under Toolsets, choose "Source/Record".  Once you have things set up the way you like, choose, "Save Current".

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:37 PM In reply to

• alan wells
    • Not Ranked
    • Aberdeen, Scotland
    • Posts 123
    • Points 2,025

Larry, many thanks for your speedy response

Larry Rubin:
    grab the right side of the MC application window and stretch it out to span over to the second monitor

Tried that and when I do as above, the 'Record' monitor goes on to the left screen and when further adjusted, goes off the screen entirely.

Randall, perhaps I haven't set things up properly in the Catalyst Centre. The two monitors act as one huge monitor in as much as I can move the cursor from one screen to the other with my 'mouse'. I am perplexed?

Intel 2.5ghz Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5N32-E, 8gb RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 3400 256mb PCI-E, Seagate 500gb drive, Seagate 160gb drive, Seagate 500gb drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:42 PM In reply to

Alan,

ATI's have different way of handling the 2 monitors.

You need to extend the main monitor to the 2nd one.

What you describe "moving the cursor from the one screen to the other" is the right setting.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:45 PM In reply to

And Alan again, make sure in the display property settings that the left monitor is the primary one.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:50 PM In reply to

Typically, the monitors are set up as 2 separate displays, which are independant of each other.  And, yes, the mouse should be able to go between them.

The Display Proerties will look similar to this ...

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:54 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I used an Ati 2900 Hd for 9 months or something, do not switch anything in your catalyst settings, I actually never opened them up when I was using the 2900 card.

All adjustments are done from the windows control panel, as Larry describes, be sure to have the left screen as your number one.

If you use your catalyst controler to extend 2 screens to one, Media Composer will believe that you only have one screen

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:59 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:
    I used an Ati 2900 Hd for 9 months or something, do not switch anything in your catalyst settings, I actually never opened them up when I was using the 2900 card.

How is the card performing with MC? Do you get rel time FX and Full Screen Playback?

I was considering switching to ATI because I need a physically shorter card than my GTX 275 but only if ATI works with Avid.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 24 2010 8:01 PM In reply to

• alan wells
    • Not Ranked
    • Aberdeen, Scotland
    • Posts 123
    • Points 2,025

Gents,

Larry Rubin:
    make sure in the display property settings that the left monitor is the primary one.

When I go into Windows display settings, 'Identify' shows that left is no 1.

George (hello again)

"You need to extend the main monitor to the 2nd one." Don't understand that one.

You guys are REALLY making us welcome - thanks for your help!

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 8:05 PM In reply to

If you look at Randall's screenshot you will see what I mean.

This is Windows own way of dealing with 2 monitors, without even going to Panels.

But what you actually do is to extend the 2nd monitor (which windows MUST see as the main)

to the 1st one as Larry points out correctly because MC sees the 2nd (right one) as the main...

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 8:25 PM In reply to

• alan wells
    • Not Ranked
    • Aberdeen, Scotland
    • Posts 123
    • Points 2,025

Randall,

That is what I have got. I cannot post a screenshot of MC as I use Gadwin and F1 is already occupied by MC, but when I open up MC, the source screen is on the left and approx. 1/2 of the record screen is on the right hand screen. [:'(]

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 8:37 PM In reply to

• alan wells
    • Not Ranked
    • Aberdeen, Scotland
    • Posts 123
    • Points 2,025

Further experimentation has shown that when I 'grab' the blue area at the top of the MC screen, the whole area of display can be moved as if both monitors are all part of one screen - I can move what is on the left screen across to the right hand screen with the cursor. Is this correct???

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 9:00 PM In reply to

Alan:

Just remember that the Media Composer application is in a single, standard OS window, whether you use one monitor or two. If you want to use two monitors, you will need to spread the window onto the right hand monitor. Starting with the window on the left hand monitor just click on the right hand wall of that window and drag it across from left to right to fill it into the right hand screen.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 10:57 PM In reply to

• VE7AXO
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 8 2005
    • North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,550

As George mentioned, make sure that the "Extend Windows..." check box is checked (as shown in Randall's screen shot) and that both monitors are set to the same resolution.  This is all that I needed to do in Liquid (or in any other application since I use two monitors seamlessly for everything) and it should be the same in MC.

Media Composer 6.5 (software) Mobo: ASUS P9X79 PRO, CPU: Intel i7-3930K (six core), Memory: 32 GB DDR3, Graphics: nVIDIA Quadro 2000D with 1 GB GDDR5... [view my complete system specs]

Igor

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller