Latest post Fri, Mar 26 2010 5:07 PM by George Angeludis. 33 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 26 2010 4:32 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

Re: Defraggler

camoscato:

Hey Todd,

BLKDOG:
    SNIP

I think what they want to do is put renders on a separate physical drive rather than a separate folder (Liquid people feel free to correct me if I read it wrong).

SNIP

That is exactly what I believe we are talking about... Drive allocation of render files.

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Mar 26 2010 4:51 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

BLKDOG:

Nope, no difference whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I can guarantee that stuff will get accidentallly captured to that drive and go down the drain when you flush the renders.

Much better to get used to the asset management tools in the Media Tool than to manage your media at the desktop level. Once you learn to use it, you'll see how much less work using the MT is.

I am a little loss on this reply...

Does the asset management tool take into consideration systems that have RAID setups...  and, by that does it allow for the user to adapt the management tool to maximize the use of the user's editing machine setup?

In essence, does the media tool provide the ability to optimize the hardware aspect of your editing machine in relation to the file placement that is preferred by MC?

I was looking for basic information about the media tool and can only seem to find information as to how to use the media tool... but, nothing that seems to explain the basic concept of what is the media tool.  I know that may be too elementary to most users of MC... but for me it would be very useful.... even if it does sound a bit like a dumb question.

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Mar 26 2010 5:03 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

You are making this much harder than it needs to be. MC does the work for you. It makes no difference on what HD or storage system you place the files. MC is only concerned about the pipeline speed from your storage to the CPU. There is no need to make elaborate plans to write files to different locations because the app is optimized to stream data equally across all the incoming buses.

If you are using a raid, partition it as you like and just store media on it. Organization of assets is done within the media tool on a metadata level. Physical media can be placed wherever you like.

The Media Tool is an elementary metadata database that reads metadata written to each Media Database on each drive. Think of it as the library for all of your media files. Using and organizing the clips, precomputes, etc. on a database level gives you greater control over moving and deleting the media on your drives. You can search by project, source name, timecode etc and sift, sort, delete and consolidate directly from the Media Tool.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Mar 26 2010 5:07 PM In reply to

To put it much simpler, whenever MC sees at the root of literally any drive an Avid MediaFiles(>MXF>1) folder  it will index it as a media drive.

Leave everything there for another reason.

If you want to quick move from a computer to another, you will have to take with you only one folder.

And Avid Projects.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.7 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 3 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller