Latest post Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:05 PM by flaps15. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 20 2010 9:52 PM

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

General Observations

I don't want to pollute any existing threads (more than I do already, that is).

But I would like to draw Liquid user's attention to the absolutely incredible Effects editors.

I have just been 'tailoring' the effects editing toolset.  I made the effect editor panel large (nearly filling the right screen!), and adjusted the left screen so I had a large Record viewer on its own, and the effects selector panel and so on.

Then, I started fiddling with the effects controls, just to see what they could do and what was available.

This makes Liquid look like a toy!  Yes, Liquid has sophisticated controls - but these go miles further in power and capability, in options, and controllability of an effect.  I urge all from the Liquid school to spend a little time just looking at what is available (depends on the selected effect of course -but whichever is chosen - compare what you can do with what Liquid offered).

In particular - and this was pointed out before somewhere - keyframes can be 'fixed' or elastic.  In my terms - absolute or relative - something i have been asking for for so long, I figured it wasn't possible to do.  And here it is.

MC Rocks.  Suddenly, Liquid is beginning to look like history.

All I need to do now of course is find out how to use these effects and their editors...

(Hmm.  Maybe I won't dump Liquid just yet Hmm )

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:01 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

Re: General Observations

Mike,

It's OK to love the new features and power and performance you are finding in Media Composer.

For those who do a lot of keying, Spectramatte takes it to the next level. For speed controls timewarp is amaizing. The motion tracking is superb. And lets not forget my favorite one of all, the automating color correction and color matching.

There is so much inside MC, then add all the 3rd party plug-ins. For $495 anyone who missed out on this opportunity will be kicking themselves for years to come!

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:14 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

That's a nice informative article you have there Gary.   I must look into the comparable prices of some of that gear you specify here in the UK.  And add to my Christmas wish list!

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:05 AM In reply to

• lasssman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 7 2010
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 103
    • Points 1,575

Mike Shaw:

In particular - and this was pointed out before somewhere - keyframes can be 'fixed' or elastic.  In my terms - absolute or relative - something i have been asking for for so long, I figured it wasn't possible to do.  And here it is.

Mike I had forgotten - I remember now asking about "fixing" keyframes in Liquid - several years ago now!

It woul dmake interesting reading if someone could find the "wish list" we all created, I think when Nexgen was first mentioned, and compare it with what MC can do. I wonder how many of the items on that list are fulfilled by MC?

I think there were well over 100 items in the list.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 3.3 GHz, Intel D975XBX2 MoBo, 160 GB Sata II system drive, 1 Tb Raid 5 media and render drives, 8 GB DDR2-800 mem, Windows 7... [view my complete system specs]

Guy

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:14 AM In reply to

To change keyframe modes, you will need to promote an effect to "advanced keyframes" if it is not there already. That's the double line pink icon at the bottom right of the effects editor tool. Then right clicking on the keyframe icon in the resulting toolbar will let you choose "fixed" or "elastic" keyframes. The default is elastic.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:20 AM In reply to

In addition to the excellent 3rd party plug-ins included in the $495 upgrade, I also would highly recommend two additional plug-in packages - SpiceMaster for TONS of fully user customizable transitional effects, and Sapphire, for the next best thing to After Effects inside the native Avid application. Sapphire's "film effect" alone is worth the entire price of the package, giving you virtually limitless possibilities to achieve any type of film look you want, and many different film stock bases to start with - incredibly versatile. Both have free trial downloads available.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:16 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Interesting packages - the Pixelan stuff is very familiar -it was included at one time in Pinnacle Studio...  right at the other end of the spectrum!

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 10:19 AM In reply to

• flaps15
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 7 2006
    • Lancaster UK
    • Posts 202
    • Points 2,700

well some more observations and questions from me. I thought I would post these here rather than start another thread.

1. On the opening splash screen, I get the "This software is not registered" even though I went through the registration process and have an e mail fron Avid confirming that it is registered.. Anyone any ideas if this is a problem or not?

2. I've been experimenting with some of the footage in the Boston dv project and have added a second video track. There is an icon on the RHS of the track which I think turns the video on or off (similar to Liquid) however if I turn the icon on ,on video track 2 for a simple PIP effect, the icon on video track 1 dissapears , but it still plays. If I turn it off on track 2 (the PIP effect) then the PIP doesnt play. Is that normal?  I must at this point say that I am only starting to go through the manual after my day job is over so it's just an observation.

3. Sonic Fire pro.............I can't seem to get any sound out of it. I had a quick play around with quicktracks last night but nothing is playing. Seems odd. I also get an error message when it is closed down, saying "the program quit unexpectedly" or something like that. Could it be a bad install? I'd just like an opinion before I go wading in tonight.

Ok back to work now!

Dave

Imac 27 i5, lacie 1TB firewire 800 drive [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:02 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

I think these 'observations' are more like queries (and probably should have their own threads?).  But I can answer a couple...

1. On the opening splash screen, I get the "This software is not registered" even though

I get this too - after going through the process of having to have Avid de-activate because I had an error message after trying to activate.  The young lady at the help centre informed me that i was registered OK, and not to worry about what that message said - "there's no need to register again".  So - I don't know how to cure it (short of trying to register again), but apparently, it can be ignored.

2. I've been experimenting with some of the footage in the Boston dv project and have added a second video track....

Yep. This one threw me too.  But those 'indicators' don't work the same as in Liquid.  What happens in Liquid is you switch the video and/or audio on for each track.  Here, each track is either audio or video, but not both.  And the marker indicates the top track for viewing purposes - if you have three video tracks, and you select that icon for the top track, you will see all three tracks 'composed'.  Select the middle track, and you'll see that one overlaying the first track - but not the top track. Select the bottom track, and that's all you'll;l see.  So, essentuially, you look down from which ever track is selected.  There is a way (not at the machine at the moment so can't remember exactly) to switch on the individual tracks for viewing - knowing MC its either a double click or a control+click on the track in that area.  It then turns green, I believe, to show it is being solo'd.  (Check that out in the manual - its all still new to me too!)

3. SonicFire Pro - sounds to me like it isn't recognising the sound card or the 'play' setting.  Did you hear a music 'splash' when SonicFire is opened? If not, I'd say it definitely isn't 'connecting' with your sound system. I'm sure someone here will have a better answer - but I'd start by looking at the Control Panel 'Sound' settings.  If you do hear that intro music 'splash' - then bear in mind youi can only play smartsound music that is either on your machine, or that can be downloaded from the internet when that piece is selected.  In Quicktracks, select the option 'on my machine' to be sure you are getting music you have (and I assume you installed the Core Music disk that comes with SonicFire...)

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:56 AM In reply to

Mike Shaw:
    There is a way (not at the machine at the moment so can't remember exactly) to switch on the individual tracks for viewing - knowing MC its either a double click or a control+click on the track in that area.  It then turns green, I believe, to show it is being solo'd.

That is correct. CTRL + click the video monitor icon and it turns green, displaying ONLY the content of that particular video layer - identical to solo monitoring in audio. And yes, it is normal behavior for the video monitor icon to display the contents of all tracks below the track it is currently on. Unfortunately, there is no way to individually make different video layers active and disabled.

It's also important to remember that when creating a video mixdown clip, the position of the monitor icon will determine the top layer contents of the mixdown. So, if you have 5 video layers and the monitor icon is one layer 3 when you make the video mixdown, only layers 1 to 3 will be contained in the mixdown clip. This is also by design.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:26 PM In reply to

• flaps15
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Lancaster UK
    • Posts 202
    • Points 2,700

Mike , Larry

thanks for clearing that up, I did do a ctr+click and scared myself a bit when it turned green, I think I did as well!

The Sonic Fire pro thing is strange, I do get the opening chords but nothing else. I did try to find the music on my system, I think it's supposed to reside in the library on a MAC but there was noting there, it may have installed in the wrong folder. I'll try a re-install of the music tonight.

Dave

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:29 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Good - my memory isn't so bad after all!  Slowly getting there!

It is things like this behaviour though that emphasise the need to treat MC as a brand new product, and forget all the old habits - though I have to say, old habits die very hard indeed.

It was a very useful feature of Liquid - especially when compositing a fairly complex multi-track effect: one could 'assemble' the content of individual tracks without the interference of having the other tracks in view.

Having said that - here in MC the number of property features embodied within the effects seems to be greater than in Liquid's effects editors (I could be wrong) - so rather than needing several effects applied to one clip to achieve a result, they can all be applied using the one effect.

This makes it even more important, I think, to drop (with immense difficulty, I might add) Liquid workflows and think afresh the MC way.

But ... I can't help thinking as I do things the MC way sometimes - "grief, this was so much easier - and quicker - in Liquid". 

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:36 PM In reply to

Mike Shaw:
    ...here in MC the number of property features embodied within the effects seems to be greater than in Liquid's effects editors (I could be wrong) - so rather than needing several effects applied to one clip to achieve a result, they can all be applied using the one effect.

And nowhere in the standard Avid effects group is that thought more evident than the 3D warp effect, which is not an effect at all, but a template starting point to custom construct your own effects from scratch. Just a tour through all the different parameters that are adjustable will demonstrate what we mean. And then promoting that to advanced keyframes? Wow.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:41 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Larry Rubin:

Mike Shaw:
    ...here in MC the number of property features embodied within the effects seems to be greater than in Liquid's effects editors (I could be wrong) - so rather than needing several effects applied to one clip to achieve a result, they can all be applied using the one effect.

And nowhere in the standard Avid effects group is that thought more evident than the 3D warp effect, which is not an effect at all, but a template starting point to custom construct your own effects from scratch. Just a tour through all the different parameters that are adjustable will demonstrate what we mean. And then promoting that to advanced keyframes? Wow.

Larry, the 3D warp is actually very similar to the editors in Liquid, I believe that lots of users coming here will like it a lot.  

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:05 PM In reply to

• flaps15
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Lancaster UK
    • Posts 202
    • Points 2,700

For anyone else running on  MAC with snow leopard 10.6.2, the Sonic Fire Pro issue has been solved with the aid of a patch downloaded from the Smartsound site.

You will know if you have a problem as when you try to play a track in express tracks you don't get any sound, only a dialogue box asking where you want to save it. The patch sorts it all out.

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller