Latest post Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:59 PM by Larry Rubin. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 6 2009 2:58 AM

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,152
    • Points 217,280
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Keyboard Commands vs. Drag & Drop

A very usual complaint from newcomers is that they can't find an easy way to use their old Drag & Drop workflow in MC.

The answer I usually give is, "Try and leave your old habits behind you and start learning the MC way - as soon as possible!"

The use of keyboard shortcuts combined with the possibility of mapping your own keyboard to suit your workflow gives you the possibility ofmaking  MC a very quick, efficient and accurate NLE.

I used Avid Liquid previously and I used the Drag & Drop method, as it seemed very convenient.
    Avid Liquid has also the possibility of mapping the keyboard and using keyboard shortcuts..... but, because of the convenience of Drag & Drop editing, many people (myself included) prefer/preferred  to use it instead.
    With MC the opposite is true. Drag & Drop is not the easiest way!

Regards,
    Douglas

This tutorial can be viewed at "Full-screen" by clicking on the icon on the toolbar

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 26 2009 7:47 AM In reply to

• digibeetle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 14 2005
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 154
    • Points 1,900

Re: Keyboard Commands vs. Drag & Drop

You might already know this, but the keypad harnesses even more power so your example could be done even faster:

To add more speed: the "." of the keypad also functions as "00" and therefore is one keypress faster.

Also the last timecode jump of the keypad is remembered and can be repeated by the "enter" key of the keypad. So in your example you could also have quickly pressed 5x "enter" to jump 5 sec. and then 1x "enter" for marking the next i/o all with the 1 sec. jump you gave in just once.

Besides this you can also just type in a timecode you want to jump to in the clip or sequence. (so without + or -)

• Thu, Nov 26 2009 7:55 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,152
    • Points 217,280
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Vincent,

Thank you for adding those pearls of knowledge.
    One of the reasons as to why I make these tutorials is to show some basics and then hope that others, like you have done, will add some extra spice.

Thank you,

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 26 2009 10:57 AM In reply to

• IgorMNE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 18 2008
    • Podgorica, MNE
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Keyboard=essential.

However, we could kick this up a notch.

Apart from the keyboard, I like to use my MX610 (that's a 10 button mouse, 12 if You count the "scroll left & right" functions), with a custom Avid profile. The point being - you can map any keyboard key or KEY COMBINATION to any button.

Consider this: Left hand - in/out, Right hand - overwrite/splice, or zoom in/out, or add locator/goto locator, frame +/- ... You get the picture. A whole new level, if you ask me :)

• Fri, Nov 27 2009 10:35 AM In reply to

• kuztardd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 6 2009
    • London
    • Posts 27
    • Points 410

Thanks for the video.

Would i be correct in thinking that the final duration of that little sequence is 4seconds and 4 frames?

Macpro Sierra Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz 6 ore Intel Xeon E5 AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB Avid Ultimate 2018.4.0 (6 machines) Nexis/ISIS Client manager [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 1 2009 8:09 PM In reply to

• rracine
    • Not Ranked
    • New Orleans
    • Posts 80
    • Points 870
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Very helpful video.  I like to see these concepts reinforced.  It helps illustrate for users that the method that may seem to be the most intuitive may not actually be the most practical or efficient.

Thanks for taking the time to make and post this tutorial. 

One note on your video. Because, by default, in-points occur at the beginning of a frame, and out-points are placed at the ends of frames, marking an in-point and entering + 1:00, enter, and mark-out will result in a duration of 1:01 rather than the desired 1:00 duration.  The same is true for the 5:00 duration.  Assuming 30fps, one should type + 29, enter to move the play head and additional 29 frames and mark out at the end of that frame, or + 4:29 for a 5:00 duration. 

The genral rule is enter 1 frame less than the desired duration. 

Robert Racine
    Associate Professor
    The University of New Orleans

90 MC Soft Systems ISIS 5500 64TB Enterprise Deployed via 10GB Fiber and Dell Switches 380 users JVC GY HM600U [view my complete system specs]

Robert Racine
    Technology Coordinator/Adjunct Professor
    Loyola University New Orleans
    ACSR Editors-DS-Unity-ISIS
    ACI

• Tue, Dec 1 2009 9:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,152
    • Points 217,280
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thank you for your comments Robert.

I made this Tutorial when I was very new to Avid MC.
    At that time I did not know about the "extra" frame.

I have since made a couple of Tutorials which mention and explain this behaviour.

Thank you for taking time to add your explanation.

Regards,

Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:42 PM In reply to

i tried to open the video tutorial but i couldnt, do i neeg a plug in to open it?

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

Christian Jhonson

Avid Ambassador                                 

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:59 PM In reply to

Douglas' tutorials are best viewed on the Firefox browser.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller