Latest post Fri, Apr 24 2009 11:19 PM by videopelli. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 24 2009 3:17 PM

• videopelli
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Colorado Springs, CO
    • Posts 226
    • Points 2,735

Importing P2 files from network drive

We've recently started shooting P2.  As we shoot a job, we put the file structure of the card onto one of our network drives.  When I tried to import the files, I got an error 'not a media drive, dummy'.  A quick post to the COW and went into the console, typed 'alldrives'.  Now a get an error 'it's a media drive, but not a P2 card'.  I tried the media tool, but no love.  I tried creating a folder called 'virtual', and putting the file structure in there, but again, no love.

Is there a way to import>P2>clips to bin from a network drive?

Thanks!

Jon

4 Media Composer systems;xw8000 & xw8200 (Mojo RGB) 2 BiWay systems w/ SDI Mojo all with 2gb RAM [view my complete system specs]

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess. But He's pretty sure you're F*@#!$.

• Fri, Apr 24 2009 4:41 PM In reply to

• wil
    • Not Ranked
    • Quebec
    • Posts 44
    • Points 505

Re: Importing P2 files from network drive

have you tried mapping a drive letter to the root of your P2 folder?

hope this helps

HP xw4400 4 GB of RAM NVidia Quadro fx1500 80 GB 7200 RPM internal drive 250GB 1394 External drive [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Apr 24 2009 11:19 PM In reply to

• videopelli
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Colorado Springs, CO
    • Posts 226
    • Points 2,735

Re: Importing P2 files from network drive

Thanks Will! Your reply and one from the COW really helped! I've written instruction for this, based on our local workflow. Please use it as you wish!

IMPORTING P2 MEDIA FROM A NETWORK DRIVE IN WINDOWS XP

-Map the root folder as a network drive
    --Go to My Computer>Tools>Map Network Drive…
    --Select a drive letter (Windows will not let you select a letter that conflicts with an internal or network drive)
    --Select ‘Browse’ and navigate to the file location
    --Select the folder containing the P2 file structure
    --Deselect ‘Reconnect at Log on’ – the idea is to import the clips you need into your local media drives, not bog down the network by editing on it!
    -Hit ‘Finish’
    -Start Media Composer and select or create your project
    -Go to Tools>Console
    -Type in ‘alldrives’ (lower case, no spaces)
    --Hit ‘enter’ – you will see a message “All drives will be seen as media drives”
    --If you see the message “Only true Media drives will be seen as Media drives”, type ‘alldrives’ again.
    -Close the console
    -Import P2 clips as normal. The clips will not play normally – that because of the speed of the network.
    -Import the clips into your local media drives

NOTE: After you have imported your clips, it is VERY IMPORTANT you tell the Avid not to use network drives – go to the console and type ‘alldrives’ again.

4 Media Composer systems;xw8000 & xw8200 (Mojo RGB) 2 BiWay systems w/ SDI Mojo all with 2gb RAM [view my complete system specs]

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess. But He's pretty sure you're F*@#!$.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller