Latest post Sun, Sep 28 2008 12:38 AM by hbrock. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 7 2008 7:07 PM

• bakalaj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Kelowna BC Canada
    • Posts 266
    • Points 3,445

HDV720p30 to SD DVD

1. What would be the best workable solution to go from HDV 720p30 to SD DVD? I have tried to transcode video via the Video Mixdown to DNxHD75 and/or 110 and then export to all kinds of QT including reference and neither worked. Either DVD SP would claim "missing media", eventhough QT Player could play it or the video was real crappy.

2. My client needs some footage in an HD format, as individual files burned to a disk. It's a bunch of short "stock footage" clips. How do I convert the HDV to some form of HD?

I am on a Mac dual G5, OSX 10.4.11, running AXP 5.8, QT 7.5, DVDSP 4.1.2

Your help is much appreciated. I have been struggling with the challenges of working in HDV720p30 for a very long time. The only working workflow for me at this point is going back to tape in HDV and recapturing as downconverted SD via component MOJO. Quite stupid and likely not the best quality.
    In general, I find that there is little to no help when it comes to the unfortunate JVC's 720p30 HDV format. Had I known that when it first came out I would have never used it. But now I have footage and projects that need to be dealt with.
    Thank you for any help.

MBP, 2GB Ram AMC 4 Mojo SONY DSR-11, JVC BR-HD50U [view my complete system specs]

www.ascentfilms.com

Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Sep 12 2008 4:37 PM In reply to

• bakalaj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Kelowna BC Canada
    • Posts 266
    • Points 3,445

Re: HDV720p30 to SD DVD

Is there a workflow? C'mon, Avid..... help, please

MBP, 2GB Ram AMC 4 Mojo SONY DSR-11, JVC BR-HD50U [view my complete system specs]

www.ascentfilms.com

• Tue, Sep 23 2008 12:03 AM In reply to

• moose1184
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 20 2007
    • Posts 57
    • Points 700

I recently went through a bunch of different workflows to get an HD sequence to a decent-looking SD DVD.  Here's what I would try:

Either consolidate or mix down the sequence to a DNX resolution first, as you said you did.  Once you have a sequence with only DNX resolution media, export a Same as Source Quicktime movie using native dimensions and 601/709 color levels.  This will output a failrly large quicktime movie (my hour long DNX-145 sequence was a 50GB QT).  Now, using a free program called JES-Deinterlacer, convert the HD quicktime into a DV resolution...the settings should be pretty straightforward, and the program includes good documentation that should help you out.  I had the best results using the Motion Jpeg codec, although regular DV will work as well.

Finally, you can compress your new SD quicktime file with Compressor using default presets for 16x9 DVDs, and you should be good to go.  This workflow may also work with a QT Ref file, but I have yet to experiment with that.  I was outputting a 1080i sequence, let me know how it goes for you.

As for the short HD clips, I think you'll be OK exporting Same as Source DNX clips, but it totally depends on what your client wants to do with them.

Dave

Avid Media Composer 8.5 Mojo DX Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 3.33 Ghz Mac OS 10.11.3 16 GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 28 2008 12:38 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,025
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

You can use Quicktime to convert the HD sequence to DV or some other SD format and then encode for DVD using whichever program you're familiar with.  You may have to play around with the formating options in the Quicktime settings to get the SD material sized properly but the frame rate should be compatible with SD.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller