Latest post Fri, Aug 15 2008 2:12 PM by dangerousplaces. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 13 2008 5:12 AM

xdcam online help needed.

I've brought a sequence into the avid (23.976) and now it's time to digitize the hd footage.  A PDWf-75 has been brought in and I've hooked it up via firewire into the mac.  I go into "batch import", and it calls for a disc ... but when I load the disc up ... nothing happens.  It doesn't seem to recognize it.  Maybe I'm missing some steps, as I've never onlined XDCAM before ... any help would be apprecaited as to what I should do ... at the moment... I'm stuck.  Thanks.

2 x 3.2 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon [view my complete system specs]

Time heals everything.

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Aug 13 2008 5:32 AM In reply to

• kmac
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland New Zealand
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,340

Re: xdcam online help needed.

Hi

I didn't think the XDCam workflow was sorted until MC2.7.x.. ?

that MAY be part of the problem, are you still on Adrenaline 1.8.4?

I've had intermittent success / lack of success with differerent discs within the same project.

I suspect there's been a kink in the workflow before it's reached me, but that's been impossible to confirm...

cheers,

kmac

iMac 27inch Retina 5k, 4GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M395X OSX 10.11.13 Media Composer 8.5.3 with Symphony, DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]

Ninety thousand frames per hour

• Wed, Aug 13 2008 6:07 AM In reply to

I'm actually working on 2.8.3 at the moment ... it's been suggested that I move to 3.1 ... but I wonder if that's the real reason.

Time heals everything.

• Wed, Aug 13 2008 2:09 PM In reply to

Try these links:

Link 1

Link 2

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Wed, Aug 13 2008 4:25 PM In reply to

Thanks Todd.  Downloaded the new fam software, etc. but when I go to batch import ... and it lists all the offline media and then asks for the disc ... I put in the disc ... see it pop up on the desktop and hit "ok" ... but avid software says "hit ok when disc inserted" ... I go around and around and around in circles because it's not seeing the disc on the desktop.  I'm using a pdw-f75 as my player.  Still no luck and yet it should be a simple process when I follow the directions.  Any other thoughts from XDCAM users?

Time heals everything.

• Wed, Aug 13 2008 5:29 PM In reply to

• Jamie Beedy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 13 2007
    • Chicago, Il
    • Posts 225
    • Points 2,600

Here's the work around that I've come up with. First, I take all my existing proxies off-line. I have Unity, so that's fairly easy for me. I then Re-Import the proxies to a new bin. Duplicate the sequence and then relink to the proxies I just imported. Then, I'm able to import the HD Files with out Import tool asking for the disc that I just inserted, like you've been seeing. 

Be aware that this batch import can take quite awhile. I had a 4:30 sequence and it took over an hour and 1/2 to do the import. There was several times that I thought the system had looked up, but I jsut let it go and it evenutally finished.

Avid Media Composer w/ Symphony Option-V8.5.2 / Mac OSX 10.9.5 / Mac Pro 4.1 - 2x2.66Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon / 24 GB DDR3 RAM Unity 5.1.3 Unity Media... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 13 2008 5:36 PM In reply to

I've taken the proxies off line.  But I've got a hundred and fifty discs.  if I go that route, do I have to re-import the proxies into 150 bins, like I did the first time?  Seems like a lot of work.  And how are you able to re-import the HD files without the import tool asking for the next disc?  Maybe I'm being a little too complicated .. but it seemed fairly easy process when I tried to follow the pdf file.

Time heals everything.

• Thu, Aug 14 2008 12:29 AM In reply to

I've upgraded the mc to 3.0.1.  Made sure that I had all the latest fam drivers and proxie viewing software from Sony.  I tried once again to load using batch import and I still have the problem that avid will not recognize that I have a disc in the player.  any thoughts are more than welcome.  These days get pretty frustrating.

Time heals everything.

• Thu, Aug 14 2008 12:32 AM In reply to

• Jamie Beedy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Chicago, Il
    • Posts 225
    • Points 2,600

Like I said, it's work-around - I didn't say it would be easy Smile

Seriously, the times that I've had to do this, I only had about 10 or 15 discs, so it wasn't a big deal. 150 discs, I can see that being a total PIA.

And after I re-import the proxies and relink and I go to Batch Import from my Sequence, it asks me for the first disc, and when I insert it, or click OK, it starts it's import. When it finishes that disc, it asks for the next, and so on.

I too, have followed the directions from the PDF Link that Todd provided, with mixed results. Most times I end up seeing exactly what your seeing. I have yet to figure out what causes some to work and some to fail. About the only thing that I've come close to determining a cause, is it seems to happen more with projects that have been around for awhile. It may be that I'm trying the Batch Import on a different system then I imported the proxies on. Only a guess right now, Still working on that.

Let me know what you end up with

jamie

Avid Media Composer w/ Symphony Option-V8.5.2 / Mac OSX 10.9.5 / Mac Pro 4.1 - 2x2.66Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon / 24 GB DDR3 RAM Unity 5.1.3 Unity Media... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 14 2008 1:12 AM In reply to

So Jamie .. just so I'm clear.  I've taken all my proxies off line ... which I've done.  Now I go back to my original discs.  Make a new bin e.g. Disc 1b and then import all the proxie files that are on disc 1.  After that, use the relink button to relink my cut sequence to (hopefully) the new bins ... then from there hit batch import to bring in the hi rez.  Do I have that correct?  Thanks,

d

Time heals everything.

• Thu, Aug 14 2008 2:05 PM In reply to

• Jamie Beedy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Chicago, Il
    • Posts 225
    • Points 2,600

Yep, That's what has worked for me in the past. Make sure that you duplicate your sequence before you start doing this. And I'd probably do an experiment on a short section of your sequence before I did all 150 discs.

let me know how it goes.

jamie

• Fri, Aug 15 2008 2:12 PM In reply to

Jamie ... it didn't go well.  I'm heading over to an online house that deals in HD XDCAM on a daily basis.  I tried to batch digitize using a pdw-f75 deck using a generic template, but the sequence just didn't want to work with the deck.  I see that you've used the deck in the past.  It would ask for a disc during batch import ... but batch digitize wouldn't work for me ... must be doing something wrong.  I'll try it again.  With a shorter sequence next time ... or just bring everything in firewire at high rez from the start.  Thanks for your suggestions though ... appreciate it.

Time heals everything.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller