Latest post Tue, Dec 11 2018 5:45 PM by Adrian Redmond. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 11 2018 11:44 AM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,300

Re-parenting bins from another project

I need to learn a new trick about project creation and management in Avid...

I have spent the last few days creating a new default project to use via Dylan's Templater when creating new projects. This works fine and gives me much better project structure and access to a lot of stock media assents in every project.

I now have a little challenge...

For the past year I have been shooting a film project, and have already logged and captured 30 reels of HDCAM. This was accomplishe under a project, that was created before I developed my default project layout. Let's call this "Project A"

I now want to create a new project (let's call it "Project B" using Dylæans Templater, so i get my new project structure and settings - and then import the raw footage bins from Project "A" - after which i do not intent to work in Project A and longer.

I have tried this two ways and both work fine - first by creating a new project B and opening bins from Project A within Avid, and copying the clips from the imported bins into new bins under project B. (This allows me to locate the clips under the desired folder in the project menu - after which i delete the imported, now empty bins).

The alternative which I also tried is at OS level, to copy the raw footage bins from project A to the correct foler in Project B.

Bot give the same result, and the clips are accessible and workable.

But - with both of the above methods, if I open an imported bin (or a bon of imported clips) and enable the Projct column in text mode, I can see that Avid still sees these individual clips as belonging to "Project A" - rather than "Project B".

So the question is - for tidyness - can I "re-parent" all these clips so that Avid now regards them as "Project B" clips?

And if I can't - what happens when Project A is deleted - will this "orphan" the clips in Project B (and in principle, any other projects to which they were imported?)

As far as I can see, the project attribute is coded into the code of each bin, so when importing this data simply moves with the clip. Does this data have any practical implications for Avid, or is it simply a historical record of the name of the project udnerwhich the clip was originally logged?

In other words, if we have the media data on our server, and a working bin that accesses it, does Avid care whether the original project still exists and is accessible?

(I could of course continue working with Project A and rebuild it's structure and settings to mirrow my recently created Default set up, but this would be time consuming - and if not necessary, a waste of effort)

I'd be interested in hearing if any other Avic users have an insight on this...

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Tue, Dec 11 2018 1:13 PM In reply to

Re: Re-parenting bins from another project

Adrian Redmond:
    can I "re-parent" all these clips so that Avid now regards them as "Project B" clips?

Yes, using the Consolidate function. Consolidate is Media Composer's word for "copy". BEFORE you try this on a whole project, try it on one short clip to make sure it works.

1. While working in Project B select the clips that are currently associated with Project A

2. From the Clip menu select Consolidate/Transcode. This will bring up the Consolidate/Transcode window.

3. Select Consolidate, and the drive you want the clips to be on (this may be the same drive they are already on).

4. Uncheck "Delete original media files," and "Skip native media files already on the target drive". Leave all the audio options unchecked.

5. Click Consolidate

6. Media Composer will now ask if you want the new master clips to link to media on the original or target drive. I'd pick the "original drive" option, as the new Project B clips will have ".new" appended to their names, making them easier to distinguish.

7. Click OK

When finished, all the clips you selected in step 1 should now be associated with Project B.

If this worked, and you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that it worked and that ALL THE MEDIA YOU WANT TO KEEP is now associated with Project B, you can delete the media associated with Project A and free up drive space.

1. Open the Media Tool

2. Select All Drives, Project A, and all media types

3. When the media display opens CTRL+a to select all

4. Press Delete

5. Select all the available types & resolutions

6. Press OK

7. Note the warning about being sure you want to delete this media. Reflect for a moment on how bad your life will be if you accidentally delete some critical piece of media you no longer have the tape or original file for.

8. Click Delete

Now all of the media associated with Project A is gone.

Adrian Redmond:
    if I can't - what happens when Project A is deleted - will this "orphan" the clips in Project B

Regardless of what project you are working in, if you delete media associated with Project A, the master clips that reference that media will go offline. To get them back they will have to be batch captured (if they came from tapes) or batch imported (if they were imported from files) or relinked (if they were linked).

Adrian Redmond:
    As far as I can see, the project attribute is coded into the code of each bin, so when importing this data simply moves with the clip. Does this data have any practical implications for Avid, or is it simply a historical record of the name of the project udnerwhich the clip was originally logged?

No, the project attribute is tied to the clip, not the bin. The project association is based on what project you are working in when the master clip is created. This allows you to use the Media Tool to delete media by project no matter what project you are currently in, i.e. more easily than if you had to open individual projects and bins to manage media.

Adrian Redmond:
    In other words, if we have the media data on our server, and a working bin that accesses it, does Avid care whether the original project still exists and is accessible?

Media Composer doesn't care if the project exists, only if the media for a particuar master clip exists. It is possible to have master clips with media associated with Project A without Project A existing on the system. The project data (bins, format, sequences) is separate from the clip media.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Dec 11 2018 4:58 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,300

Thank you Carl for such a detailled reply - and for taking the time to write it.

Perhaps I didn't make my challenge clear - when I wrote about deleting a project, I was only talking about deleting the project metdata - not the media files on the server.

The only difference between the metadata for Project A and Project B, is that Project B is built using templater, to give me access to a lot of stock resources (which were not available in Project A), and with a project folder structure that is (for me at least) better organised. Plus a numbver of project settings of which I am now happy.

One the raw material bins from project A are imported to Project B (By opening them when i Project B and coipying the clips to new bins, then deleting the opened bins (which cannot be moved in the folder structure as they are external) - I have a nice set of bins, with all clips available and editable.

The only question was about the clip parameter "project" which currently still had "Project A's" title instead of project B.

This does not affect the playability/editability of the clips when accessed from Project B.

To "investigate the possible consequences of deleti8ng (at some time in the future) the metadata for Project A, which I am no longer intending to work in, I shut down Avid, and in the OS I moved the Project A metafolder to another sub-folder on the drive, so that it is no longer visible to Avid.

Whe restarting Avid in Project B, all the new bins with "imported" clips are OK, all clips can be accessed. So it would appear that Avid, when running Project B is completely unaware of, and unconcerned with the previous existance of Project A - with the exception of the "historical data" in the bin list relating to project.

As far as I can see, Project B is now working, without the need to consolidate, and without the extra hassle of having avid add ".new" to all clip names.

It's an interesting experiment, because importing many bins from previous projects can be a regular task for me in the future, and this method, which only requires an OS copy of the bin files, is very quick and seems to be without problems - even when the project metadata for the project for which the clips originally were logged is no longer required/present.

I reality it's no problem that the bin project column tells me the name of the project for which the files were originally created, as i9t also reminds me of the production number of the reels concerned, if I ever have to return to the tape archive and recapture.

Does this make sense - or have I missed something important?

Thanks!

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Tue, Dec 11 2018 5:14 PM In reply to

Hi Adrian,

Ah, I thought you wanted the project association of the clips to match the project. If you don't mind that the clips are associated with a different project than the one you're working in, then I can't see any problem with deleting Project A.

If you want to be really safe, just do as you've done and move Project A somewhere outside the Avid Projects folder, but keep it available in case you have some emergency need to get to Project A again.

Adrian Redmond:
    Does this make sense - or have I missed something important?

The only thing I can think of is if this is a system that is shared among many people, they will all have to be familiar with how the media is stored so they don't accidentally delete something.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Dec 11 2018 5:45 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,300

Thanks again Carl...

I have kept the original Project A metadata folders safe in another place - I just don't want them popping up in the default "Open project" menu list, in case I open and run the old project by mistake (they hve very similar names)

This is a single suite system, with others eding only very rarely - and always in projects that I create and open for them, so there's little risk of confsing anyone but myself. :)

Adrian Redmond

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller