Latest post Mon, Feb 25 2019 3:48 PM by JesusPM. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 12 2018 11:18 AM In reply to

• Ilja
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 20 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Re: 2018.8 waveforms painfully slow

Hi,

I have moved my project local and footage is on external drive.

This and installing update 2018.9 did work form me.

Now I only need to delete waveform cache when avid gets slow again from time to time.

It's really unpredictable when that happens.

Hope it helpes.

• Tue, Nov 13 2018 4:58 PM In reply to

Hi!

Thanks for the tip! We ended up changing the audio setting on the media cache to the lowest level possible (we had it turned up pretty high thinking that would help with the issue, but may have actually been creating it in the first place). Seems that was slowing us down a lot and so far that change seemed to have helped. We also deleted the waveform cache as you suggested, which I think helps as well.

Thanks again!

• Wed, Nov 14 2018 7:39 PM In reply to

• Spencer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 7 2012
    • United States
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

YES! Thanks for the tip of moving the project to a local drive, I feel like my performance has improved a bit since I did that.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12 - 2013 Mac Pro - 6 Core - 32GB Ram - SSD Boot Drive [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 25 2019 3:48 PM In reply to

• JesusPM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 4 2017
    • Posts 13
    • Points 155

Hi everyone,

Has any of the latest MC 2018 updates fixed this issue?

I went through all the Media Composer ReadMe documents from version 2018.8 to 2018.12.1 and there is not a single mention about this as a known Limitation (unfortunately, neither as a Fixed problem).

I'm sorry but the workaround of moving the project to a local drive is not an option when you need to collaborate and use Avid bin locking.

We are facing similar issues on a feature film project with the following configuration:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Avid Media Composer 2018.8 (we also tried MC 2018.9 but the situation didn't improve much after the update) 

Retina iMacs 27" with Flash drive and 32GB of RAM

BTW, I noticed that most people affected by this in the thread are Mac users... I wonder if this might have something to do with the new APFS introduced in High Sierra?

Anyway, we are seriously considering to roll back to MC 8.10 and downgrade to OSX El Capitan 10.11.6. So if someone could confirm wether this is still an ongoing issue in the latest 2018.x iterations that would be very helpful.  Thanks in advance,

Jesús

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller