Latest post Thu, Aug 23 2018 2:29 PM by insch. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 19 2018 9:34 PM

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 243
    • Points 2,895

Sample Buffer error - urgent

I have been cutting on my MacBook Pro. The HD got full at one point. I have now dealt with that issue and there is plenty of hd space. My sequence is corrupted though - it plays through to nearly the end and then it freezes every time. I get "SampleBufferDesc:DefineBufferAlignment() - target sample is entirely past EOF".

I have tried rebuildiung media databases, creating a new user, cutting my sequence into a new one, including just laying in the music first and then building on that, and opening my bin in a new project. Nothing works.

I've cut this video for my daughter's 18th and her birthday is on Tuesday!

Any advice anyone? Thank you.

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 19 2018 10:06 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,305
    • Points 40,025

Re: Sample Buffer error - urgent

I assume that when your HD got full, you moved/copied media to a different drive.

I am guessing something got corrupted during the process.  To figure out if that is the case and if so, what the corrupt media is, you need to do the "divide and conquer" dance.

Duplicate the sequence, delete half the sequence. Play that remaing half.  Is it ok?  If so, do the same for the OTHER half.  It should show the error.  Repeat the process with the bad half until you find the problem clip.

This problem could be a corrupted render.  You can delete renders and re-render (read the doc on how to).

Try these and see what you find.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Aug 20 2018 7:11 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 243
    • Points 2,895

jef:

I assume that when your HD got full, you moved/copied media to a different drive.

I am guessing something got corrupted during the process.  To figure out if that is the case and if so, what the corrupt media is, you need to do the "divide and conquer" dance.

Duplicate the sequence, delete half the sequence. Play that remaing half.  Is it ok?  If so, do the same for the OTHER half.  It should show the error.  Repeat the process with the bad half until you find the problem clip.

This problem could be a corrupted render.  You can delete renders and re-render (read the doc on how to).

Try these and see what you find.

Good luck,

Jef

Thanks Jef - that's really helpful.

The media is still on my internal drive for this project (not my usual workflow).

It appears a bit stranger than I first thought. I can cut nearly all of the corrupt sequence into a new timeline and it all plays fine. If I then trim the music track to full length (a further 17 sec - the whole thing is 3.42) then I get a corruption and the sequence freezes on the last pic from the previously playable section. So that should point to a corruption on the end of the music file? But I've tried re-importing the music (even to a new bin) and cutting it into my sequence and I get the same issue. Even if I create a brand new sequence with no pix and edit in this piece of music then I get the error. Interestingly it doesn't seem to matter how much of the music clip I cut in in this instance. But the music file plays fine in the source window - all the way through. The issue only arises when cut it into a sequence.

Another issue - my sequence ends with two titles and the penultimate one is corrupt (green). I can play the final title fine (along with the music track that plays ok under that clip). When I try to create new titles though they are corrupt.

So two issues:

1) something going on with this music file (there was not before) but only when cut into a sequence.

2) An issue with titles and Title Tool.

I am rather confused. It seems that there is a general corruption going on here - but with what I don't know.

Any further help appreciated. Thank you Smile

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 20 2018 7:14 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 243
    • Points 2,895

Could there be some kind of audio engine corruption here? But that doesn't explain the Title Tool issue.

• Mon, Aug 20 2018 6:25 PM In reply to

• Mike Brodeur
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 15 2008
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 27
    • Points 390

Do your titles or any matte keys use RLE Alpha instead of uncompressed alpha?  This would be an import setting.  If so, then this issue should have been fixed in Media Composer 18.8.

• Mon, Aug 20 2018 9:44 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 243
    • Points 2,895

Thanks Mike - where do I set that up? I definitely can't use Title Tool at all right now - it used to work fine on my version of MC 2018.8 but now I get a pink bar along the top and a bright green background on any new titles I create and they won't play - I get the buffer error.

In my problem sequence I can replace my corrupt penultimate title with a repeat of my final title which hasn't been corrupted. Then the whole sequence plays through. If I lift that corrupt title out, leaving black, then the sequence stalls on the clip before the black hole. Same thing happens if I leave the corrupt title in - sequence stalls. So right now the only way I can get this sequence to play all the way through is to fill that hole with my working title - but it's the wrong title. And I can't change it - if I try to edit it it corrupts.

All seems rather odd behaviour.

I'm a bit lost.

Thank you.

• Tue, Aug 21 2018 12:48 PM In reply to

• Mike Brodeur
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 27
    • Points 390

It would be helpful to know what version of Media Composer you're using.  I believe the problem was introduced with 2018.7 and fixed with 2018.8.  

I think that Titles use the regular Import settings -- go to the Settings tab of the Project Window and find Import.  This will bring up the Import Settings dialog. In the Image tab there is a section called Alpha Channel where the bottom option is Alpha Encoding.

There was a problem for a while with the option called Run Length Encoded (RLE).  To get around it, choose the other option and re-import.

• Tue, Aug 21 2018 2:59 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,011
    • Points 215,650
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mike Brodeur:

It would be helpful to know what version of Media Composer you're using.  I believe the problem was introduced with 2018.7 and fixed with 2018.8.  

Correct Mike

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Aug 22 2018 6:59 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 243
    • Points 2,895

Thanks Mike

I haven't been back at this edit for a few days but will have another look tomorrow. I am using 2018.8.

• Wed, Aug 22 2018 6:59 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 243
    • Points 2,895

Thanks Marianna

• Thu, Aug 23 2018 8:04 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 243
    • Points 2,895

Mike Brodeur:

I think that Titles use the regular Import settings -- go to the Settings tab of the Project Window and find Import.  This will bring up the Import Settings dialog. In the Image tab there is a section called Alpha Channel where the bottom option is Alpha Encoding.

There was a problem for a while with the option called Run Length Encoded (RLE).  To get around it, choose the other option and re-import.

Hi Mike (and Marianna)

I'm back at my machine. In Import Settings Alpha Encoding is set to Uncompressed rather than RLE. You say to re-import but I have nothing to import - the problem I am having is not an import issue. All new titles I create have the corruption I have outlined but MC 2018.8 didn't have this issue for me initially so something has changed at some point - a corrupted setting when my drive maxed out perhaps? Should I try a new instal of MC?

To summarise, as well as not being able to create uncorrupted titles, I am having general stability issues with MC 2018.8 right now and it all seem to lead to the 'SampleBufferDesc...' error (see above). I've been getting that error in different ways - sometimes when just cutting an audio clip into a sequence.

Best, Phil

• Thu, Aug 23 2018 1:14 PM In reply to

• Mike Brodeur
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 27
    • Points 390

Since you're on 2018.8 you should not run into the bug, which was specific to RLE Alpha media any way.

The message is reporting bad media -- or what Media Composer detects as bad video media.  Media Composer is determining where the video frame exists in the file and has determined that it's beyond the end of the file.  It's possible that this is an incorrect diagnosis (the message has been in the code for a few releases) but it's also possible that some of your media is bad, or that the disk has problems.

The usual suggestion is to try to identify which clip (or clips) have the problem, then see if you can figure out where in the clip there is a problem.  If the media is bad, then the error should happen at about the same spot every time.  If it's a software failure, the problem might move around by a lot.

• Thu, Aug 23 2018 2:29 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 243
    • Points 2,895

Mike Brodeur:

Since you're on 2018.8 you should not run into the bug, which was specific to RLE Alpha media any way.

The message is reporting bad media -- or what Media Composer detects as bad video media.  Media Composer is determining where the video frame exists in the file and has determined that it's beyond the end of the file.  It's possible that this is an incorrect diagnosis (the message has been in the code for a few releases) but it's also possible that some of your media is bad, or that the disk has problems.

The usual suggestion is to try to identify which clip (or clips) have the problem, then see if you can figure out where in the clip there is a problem.  If the media is bad, then the error should happen at about the same spot every time.  If it's a software failure, the problem might move around by a lot.

Thanks Mike

I did try to get to the bottom of any bad media issues and didn't get any clear answers. As I said, I even got this error when I created a new sequence and edited in a music clip. I then re-imported the music file to see if that was where the issue lay. I could play it all fine in the source monitor but as soon as I cut it into a sequence I got the error. I've also been getting the error at a particular point in my main sequence but it's not giving me a clear media issue since if I lift out the suspect clip (a title) the sequence still stalls just before the black where it would have been. But if I replace the corrupted title with another working title the sequence plays through. The underlying music clip is the same in both cases. I can't create any uncorrupted new titles to change this corrupted one though.

So why I am getting this error and where isn't giving me much info. about where the problem lies right now.

What do you think I should do next?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller