Latest post Sat, Jan 20 2018 8:21 AM by camoscato. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 18 2018 11:00 PM

Can't Link/Import material from Source Browser to Avid

Greetings,

Sorry for dumb novice quesiton. I'm very new to Avid Media Composer First and I can't seem to Link or Import material from my Source Browser, via external hard drive, to clips bin. When I view the video avaiable in Source Browser they all read "Can't be linked" under the Plug-In column. 

What's frustrating is that just two day ago I was able to ingest all the video I needed into the bin. Just in case, I've already uninstalled and installed AMC First and nothing works. I did see in another thread to check under the "info" tab which has all the plug-in's that come with AMC First and I do believe I have all the required ones to edit .mov .mp4 etc.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Julian

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 11:35 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,538
    • Points 209,565
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Can't Link/Import material from Source Browser to Avid

Can they be imported?  In other words can you select the Import button if you want to import the files?

Note that if you  chose to Link rather than import, the Project Properties dialog box will appear when you " drag the first linked clip to the Timeline"

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 11:47 PM In reply to

Thanks for responding, Marianna!

It can't be imported either. When I click on Link or Import on the left side of the box, the Link/Import button on the right hi-lites but nothing happens once I push it. 

Thanks again!

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 12:01 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,538
    • Points 209,565
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I am wondering if you settings got hosed.

To restore settings to their default values:

1. Click the Settings tab in the Project window. The Settings list appears.

2. Click a setting to select it. Ctrl+click (Windows) or Command+click (Mac) each additional setting you want to select.

3. Right-click the selected setting (or one of the multiple selected settings), and select Restore to Default.

A message box opens.

4. Click Copy & Restore to copy the current settings before restoring the default settings, or click Restore to discard the current settings.

The system restores the default values for the selected settings. 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 12:25 AM In reply to

Did what you asked and nothing. It still appears as "can't be linked" under the Plug-in column inside Source Browser next to all of my external hard drive media.

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 5:29 AM In reply to

What kind of files are they? What camera or program created them?

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 7:26 AM In reply to

Camoscato,

Thanks for responding. I think I kind of found a solution. Since I couldn't ingest video from my external hard drive because each of them read, "Can't be Linked" under the Plug-IN column in Source Browser, I transfered all the media I needed to my desktop. I have no clue why. but it worked. I was able to ingest the videos I needed to my clips bin from Source Browser where each video no longer had "Can't be Linked" but instead its corresponding file format, although 4 of the 14 videos still had "Can't be Linked" attached. Again, I have no idea why it worked but it obviously has something to do with the external hard drive and how AMC First reads it. Would be great to know why but whatever, I can work with what I have.

Thanks again for answering my plea for help.

Cheers,

Julian

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 7:44 AM In reply to

Hi Julian,

I'm glad you got it working.

By any chance, were there any weird characters in the file path when the files were on the external drive. Any "/" or "*" or anything else like that?

Carl

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 8:03 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,341
    • Points 62,670

Humongously long file/path names?

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 7:06 PM In reply to

Hey Carl,

No. All files ended with either .mov or .mp4. Unfortunately, I'm not too tech saavy but it obviously something that changes once it's transfered from the external hard drive to my MacBook Pro. 

Thanks for following up!

Julian

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 7:09 PM In reply to

Luca,

As I told Carl, there are no wierd characters at the end of each file, nor are the files humongously long. I have no idea why it works once I transfer it from my external hard drive to my desktop. I would love to know why it happens so I can fix it and wont have to worry about it in the future. Thanks for reaching out.

Ciao!

Julian

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 7:14 PM In reply to

Hi Julian,

clayton8321:
    there are no wierd characters at the end of each file, nor are the files humongously long.

Just to make sure we're understanding each other, I was asking about characters in the file path. For example, if the file path was: G:\canon\media/20180118\clip01.mov the forward slash in the middle might be causing a problem.

Luca was asking about the length of the file path or file names themselves. For example, if the file name was Ysdfhgfiuedhireihiriehasdue88fcfhse89x9cht9w8hgnbnw0r8slr8r7kfvhwe48wl.mov that might be causing a problem.

So not just the ends of the file names, and not the lenght of the clips themselves.

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 8:37 PM In reply to

Guess I'm not too tech saavy. I did open (command + i) each file and under "Name and Extention" they all had basic names I had renamed followed by either .mov or . mp4. (ie.. Bobby Bones PKG.mov or Pre-USA/ARG.mp4 )  None were long or had special characters. So sorry for my minimal knowledge of this stuff. I just want to do some basic editing as I try to then use it more with a Sony camera I bought. Sorry for being a pain!

THanks!

Julian

• Sat, Jan 20 2018 1:46 AM In reply to

In case it helps anyone. I solved one problem which I'm sure a lot of people now are rolling their eyes and going "duh!"  When I transfered a few files to my desktop and was able to ingest them to my bin via Source Browser, there were 4 files I still couldn't ingest as they still said "Can't Link" under the plug-ins columns. Well, the common denominator of all 4 is that they all had "/" in their path file i.e. Johnny/Hates Jazz.mov. Once I deleted the forward slashes they were know available to ingest. It's kind of what Carl had suggested but just having one forward slash was enough to keep me from working with all the files.

Long, boring explanation but whatever. Hope it helps another super novice like me.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Julian

• Sat, Jan 20 2018 7:25 AM In reply to

clayton8321:
    there were 4 files I still couldn't ingest as they still said "Can't Link" under the plug-ins columns. Well, the common denominator of all 4 is that they all had "/" in their path file i.e. Johnny/Hates Jazz.mov. Once I deleted the forward slashes they were know available to ingest. It's kind of what Carl had suggested...

It's exactly what Carl had suggested. Twice. Smile

camoscato:
    were there any weird characters in the file path when the files were on the external drive. Any "/" or "*" or anything else like that?

camoscato:
    if the file path was: G:\canon\media/20180118\clip01.mov the forward slash in the middle might be causing a problem.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller